Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 PM

582 posts, read 2,038,661 times

Advertisements

It's lacking big names right now and there just trying to wait it out.Ufc is sort of like the xfl competing against the nfl it will be a matter of time before boxing comes back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 PM

36 posts, read 298,283 times
I think there are 2 things that would help boxing regain widespread popularity.

1. Get rid of all the different boxing conferences and go to just ONE world conference. When someone is declared a heavyweight champion today you don't even know whether he's really a good boxer or not. WBC WBF etc etc, these are all to confusing to the average fan. When Ali or Joe Frazier won a heavyweight championship, you knew he was truly the heavyweight champ.

2. Go back to broadcasting the top fights on broadcast or cable channels like ESPN that have a wide audience. Pay per view has greatly decreased viewership of boxing by limiting it to the most diehard fans. Boxing needs more exposure to a wider audience. Bouts like Ali vs. Foreman had huge audiences watch them because they were broadcast so everyone could watch.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,039 times
You see the latest 'stunt' by the boxing world to improve their ratings??? It seems they are teaming up with the WWF for various publicity events.
This is the true sign that boxing is lost forever.

Besides, who wants to watch ten rounds of people swatting at each other with puffy pillows on their hands?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
I think the UFC is just a fad like spinnning rims,its cool now and little stores pop up that sell the merchandise, but it will end sometime im sure in the next couple of years,then maybe boxing might gain its popularity,I hate both though.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
What's Boxing?

Seriously, boxing seems to barely exist anymore. It's never on TV, it's never in the paper, I guess there's plenty on the internet, but you have to want to find it.
It seems odd, really, that boxing, with it's short, bloody rounds has lost it's popularity in our brutal, A.D.D. culture.
Don't mistake me with someone who opposes action-packed sports laced with violence. I love hockey, and have a fairly high tolerance for football.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
Many say that the sport of boxing is dying and is being replaced by UFC. Will boxing survive??? What are some solutions in making boxing exciting again??

If I don't get many replies then boxing might be dead afterall.
Boxing rocks. It is only "dead" in the USA, as the American boxers are getting destroyed by the Russians and Ukrainians.

UFC is barbarianism, filled with idiotic, moronic savages who think that punching someone's skull till they bleed profusely is sport.

Seriously, have you seen UFC guys? They're the dregs of society. They put on this "big man" image, as I'm sure that is why they're doing it. They probably couldn't do anything else, so they have to use their bodies to make a living. I doubt that many of them are of high intelligence.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Boxing isnt dead, yet its not attracting the fans like the UFC/MMA world is. For 40 bucks you might get 3 good fights on a boxing Pay Per view, some are even 49 bucks. Now in the MMA world ( Mixed martial arts ) UFC for 40 bucks you will get at least 6 to 7 exciting fights, and ask the average person to name 3 top active boxers, its not so easy unless your a fan. In the UFC i hear the young & older people mentioning names so easy.

Here in Vegas the UFC is doing much much better then boxing, when we moved here 11 years ago there was at least 8 good boxing gyms here, now there is 2. And there are at least 8-10 very good UFC/MMA gyms that teach kids from 5 to adults.

I say the UFC will stay ahead of boxing. I still watch boxing but i cant afford to pay for all the fights on Pay per view.

Seems like since Tyson went away boxing sort of sizzled out some.

I agree though tonights fight(Hatton V Castillo) should be real good.
UFC Gyms that teach kids to beat the living crap out of their opponent. How honorable they must be.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
sign of the times. it wasn't brutal enough. mean streets do not produce
noble athletes. they produces thugs.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

Boxing needs more stars, Dela hoya is just about done, Mayweather cant seem to sell on his own, he needs a big name to attract a crowd.

Sam Peters seems to have a future if he stays in top shape & focussed.
Do you even understand that boxers in the U.S. are getting pulverized by the far superior Russians and Ukrainians? That's what has happened.

That you don't even acknowledge them seems to tell me that you don't know the sport at all.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamInShape View Post
Many say that the sport of boxing is dying and is being replaced by UFC. Will boxing survive??? What are some solutions in making boxing exciting again??

If I don't get many replies then boxing might be dead afterall.
This is such a ridiculous notion. It's like questioning whether the NFL is dead just because Beckham moved to LA to play soccer here.

Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing