U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 AM

14,319 posts, read 21,167,563 times

Advertisements

This man could've been more than he was in Boxing if only he wasn't so lazy about training. Shame watching him now. First he was calling out every fighter, even the Klitschkos and David Haye. Now he's turned to the MMA. The MMA is not his game, so he appears desperate for money. Shame. My guess is that he fails miserably in his first bout.

Boxing - Toney: “I’m not playing!”
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM

9,579 posts, read 19,523,156 times
Yeah, once the past-their-prime boxers go the MMA route, it's like an elephant burial ground for washed up boxers looking for that one big payday they can no longer get in the ring. He's out of his element and he was never a big one-punch knock out type of fighter. If this fight does in fact take place, I think Couture will take him down and slap a submission hold on him in the first round. Shades of Ray Mercer's short lived MMA career.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM

10,536 posts, read 12,945,500 times
This will not go well for him at all.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 PM

615 posts, read 501,952 times
James Toney had some of the most fastest and powerful hands I've ever seen, even when he was out of shape he could hit you with combo's from all kinds of angles. I don't how he will fair in MMA, but he now has the best hands in the sport, he can thrown a punch while guys who people think can throw a punch like Liddel are really amateurs when it comes to punching.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM

573 posts, read 1,961,922 times
This is a very dangerous fight for Randy Couture, in boxing James Toney was knocking out guys. Now with 4 oz gloves, he can murder people and Couture is not used to get hit by pro boxers. Let's just pray he doesn't Kill Couture.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,210,846 times
i got Couture winning this by GnP in the first round...no way he stands with Toney.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i got Couture winning this by GnP in the first round...no way he stands with Toney.
I agree. In Toney's fights, he often knocked people out from a close distance after moving to change angles and deliver a blow. Against Couture, I think he'll be tied up when he gets close.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 AM

1,896 posts, read 3,210,846 times
also, Randy Couture is widely known for his "gameplan"...he knows what he's good at, and studies what his opponents weaknesses are...

i would be a fool not to give Toney a "fighter's chance", but i believe the odds are stacked HEAVILY against him...unless he's got a Div 1 Wrestling background in his back pocket.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i would be a fool not to give Toney a "fighter's chance", but i believe the odds are stacked HEAVILY against him...unless he's got a Div 1 Wrestling background in his back pocket.
I think this is spot on.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM

7,912 posts, read 9,029,014 times
james toney has a punchers chance sure, and randy has a history of getting koed by lesser punchers BUT in those fights he didnt try to take guys down or clinch and dirty box, he simply tried to stand with them. see chuck liddells to kos of randy. randy is going to clinch as quickly as possible, put him into the cage, dirty box long enough to put toney on his butt. once he is down randy will easily mount him, and i think dana has given randy orders to rough him up. i think this ends with a ref stoppage or a toney tap to strikes. (mostly elbows, something toney isnt exactly used to taking). i think this lasts till the 2nd round simply so randy can beat him down longer.

i find it funny that toney has called out brock lesnar as soon as he is finished koing randy lmao. if randy cant get him down brock sure as hell will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing