Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

What a perfectly timed left hook to put Williams out! This is what the Sweet Science is about. Conditioning, timing, strategy, patience, speed, power, accuracy, and precision. Hand-to-hand combat, there is nothing like it! Looks like Sergio has Paul Williams' number. There's even talk of him fighting Pacman.

Sergio Martinez delivers crushing knockout of Paul Williams - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:41 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I have to say I wasn't really that impressed with Sergio's win. For one thing, he wasn't even looking at Williams when he threw the punch, it was sort of a wild lucky punch that Williams leaned right into while throwing his own punch. Not trying to take anything away from Martinez, I think he's a very competent Middleweight, and he's fighting with heart and determination, winning fights as an underdog. But I would have liked to see this one go into deeper waters.

I don't see Manny's camp taking on a fight with Martinez. He's just too big, and I don't think Freddie wants Manny in any more fights with 168 pounders. Especially another quick, powerful, southpaw.

I would like to see Martinez fight Alfredo Angulo, but Angulo priced himself out of the fight which paved the way for this one. I think Martinez is going to suffer from being too good at a time where there is no money to be made in the division. It's drying up. I would like to see a potential fight with him and James Kirkland at a catch weight of about 158.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
It wasn't a lucky punch. He had been throwing that punch throughout the short fight, and he put all his weight into that shot..this is why he wasn't looking directly at Williams when it landed. He placed that shot and punched through Williams chin, which increased the power of the punch when it landed. Good win for him. He trained hard and came prepared. I wish him much success.

As to fighting Manny, who knows if this fight will come off? Just rumor.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I was impressed just for the fact that this knockout happened so early on! It was so unexpected. Paul started a fight so well, and then "boom", he is on the floor!
Although I have anticipated this fight for awhile and was a little disappointed that it ended so quickly.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Default Alfred Angulo vs James Kirkland

Am I the only boxing fan that wants to see this junior middleweight fight more than Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao? This has the making of a serious slug fest that does not make it into the 6th round. Anyone agree?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
This is waaaaay late I know
I saw a replay and what it shows me is that Serge did excellent prep for thew fight. He studied PW on film and saw the mistakes Paul was making (ducking his head w/his hands down) and probably practice the counter for it over and over again. PW has great raw potential but it is time he upgaded to some big time management and trainers. Prime example was when Sugar Ray Leonard made Angelo Dundee his lead trainer once he turned pro.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofideas View Post
Am I the only boxing fan that wants to see this junior middleweight fight more than Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao? This has the making of a serious slug fest that does not make it into the 6th round. Anyone agree?
Anything would be better than Pacquiao/Mayweather.

All the hype and the fight doesn't get made, that's why the sport of boxing it's where its at..all promises and no delivery.

It's funny how Americans no longer run boxing and foreigners are the ones keeping the sport up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing