Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Here is a clip of his fight with Primo Canera. In true hand-to-hand combat, Joe studies his bigger foe, recognizing that Primo keeps his left far too low. It would be Primo's undoing in this fight and Joe capitalized on that flaw. Great watching these clips! Louis, a great champion of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovh8VkTxYI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Joe Louis is as big an icon as there is in professional boxing. Simple as that.

From 1937 to 1948 Louis ruled the roost in the heavyweight division. He defended his title twenty five times. His fight against German boxer Max Schmelling is one of the great fights in the history of boxing. In later life Louis befriended Schmelling and stayed close friends with him until his death in 1981.

His name goes beyond the sport of boxing. His name is used in other cities in the midwest, most notably Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Mr. Louis received the Congressional Medal of Honor the year after he passed.

He was a giant in his sport!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

From 1937 to 1948 Louis ruled the roost in the heavyweight division. He defended his title twenty five times. His fight against German boxer Max Schmelling is one of the great fights in the history of boxing. In later life Louis befriended Schmelling and stayed close friends with him until his death in 1981.

His name goes beyond the sport of boxing. His name is used in other cities in the midwest, most notably Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Mr. Louis received the Congressional Medal of Honor the year after he passed.

He was a great man, until he ran into a bigger and badder as$ dude- Mr. IRS!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Good post! He is a legend.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 PM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
He was a great boxer.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
He was a great man, until he ran into a bigger and badder as$ dude- Mr. IRS!
They had him grabbed by the testicles until he passed away.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
IN the first Louis/Schmeling fight Max Schmeling knocked Louis out cold in the 12th round with a straight right. But the second fight was an unfair fight. This is what happened. In the second fight there was a big political factor that overshadowed things because of Hitler. So the night before the fight someone kept calling Schmelings hotel room with the result that he didn't get a good nights sleep. Then when Schmeling came into the hotel lobby the next day 2 official looking fellows told Schmeling that there had been death threats against him so he better watch out. Then when Schmeling was in the dressing room someone poked his head in and said he better watch out because it is believed that people are going to be throwing beer bottles at him in the ring. By the time the fight started Schmeling was tired and demoralized. Then came the unprofessional way that Louis came out in the first round and put everything into it. Something that I have never seen a professional boxer do in the hundreds of fights that I have watched. Remember that in the first fight Schmeling dominated all 12 rounds both offensively and defensevely. I think Louis thought he had to take a chance and try to end it early because he couldn't beat Schmeling. Anyway if Louis is voted as the greatest heavyweight in history I would say that Schmeling is reallly the greatest.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
IN the first Louis/Schmeling fight Max Schmeling knocked Louis out cold in the 12th round with a straight right. But the second fight was an unfair fight. This is what happened. In the second fight there was a big political factor that overshadowed things because of Hitler. So the night before the fight someone kept calling Schmelings hotel room with the result that he didn't get a good nights sleep. Then when Schmeling came into the hotel lobby the next day 2 official looking fellows told Schmeling that there had been death threats against him so he better watch out. Then when Schmeling was in the dressing room someone poked his head in and said he better watch out because it is believed that people are going to be throwing beer bottles at him in the ring. By the time the fight started Schmeling was tired and demoralized. Then came the unprofessional way that Louis came out in the first round and put everything into it. Something that I have never seen a professional boxer do in the hundreds of fights that I have watched. Remember that in the first fight Schmeling dominated all 12 rounds both offensively and defensevely. I think Louis thought he had to take a chance and try to end it early because he couldn't beat Schmeling. Anyway if Louis is voted as the greatest heavyweight in history I would say that Schmeling is reallly the greatest.
That's an interesting perspective. I don't think many people were doing Joe any favors during that time. It wasn't fun being a black man back then either.

Schmeling was a tough, strong, very intelligent fighter. I doubt that he could be demoralized or that his handlers would allow him to answer the phone repeatedly in the early morning of fight day. He had beaten Louis two years prior, and had no problem fighting in the States. I'm sure death threats against him were expected given the conflicts of that time and Hitler's presence.

About him being better than Louis, he and his handlers studied Louis before their first fight and found that he was prone to the right hand if timed correctly. Louis was somewhat mechanical at that point in his career. Two years later, Louis was older, stronger, more mature, and far more polished a fighter. That weakness was eliminated and Schmeling was overwhelmed by the improved Louis. Certainly Schmeling dominated the first fight, but his advantage was short-lived. Too bad there wasn't a third fight.

I always admired Schmeling though and consider him a great fighter and a fine man.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 AM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
But the second fight was an unfair fight.

Quote:
So the night before the fight someone kept calling Schmelings hotel room with the result that he didn't get a good nights sleep.
Being that I'm not from that era, I'm not sure how phones may or may not have worked back then, but couldn't he have just taken the phone off of the hook or unplugged it altogether?

Quote:
By the time the fight started Schmeling was tired and demoralized.
Please. As A_Lexus pointed out, being a black man in the spotlight in that era wasn't exactly a walk in the park. Champions overcome, excuses are for the losers.

Quote:
Then came the unprofessional way that Louis came out in the first round and put everything into it.
I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Quote:
I think Louis thought he had to take a chance and try to end it early because he couldn't beat Schmeling.
Obviously he could...

Quote:
Anyway if Louis is voted as the greatest heavyweight in history I would say that Schmeling is reallly the greatest.
Well, you might find a couple of like-minded folks in Germany.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I was strolling through Caesars Palace in Las Vegas about four years ago. Suddenly I came
across a life size statue of Joe Louis against a wall ther
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing