U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 AM

14,319 posts, read 21,207,500 times

Advertisements

I was scanning YouTube for fights I hadn't seen and I ran across this one between Roy Jones and Jeff Lacy. Lacy a pathetic fighter who was pretty shot when this fight took place. I wonder though if he ever had any real talent as he looked shameful here. Jones was clowning around and looking like a complete nonprofessional against a guy he was obviously bigger and stronger than. A shameful display of boxing. No wonder newcomers are appalled by the sport. Here's a clip of that sorry fight.

YouTube - Roy Jones Jr vs Jeff Lacy - 4/4
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 PM
jds

162 posts, read 434,900 times
Lacy has been a shot fighter since the Calzaghe fight

Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 AM

Yes he has, but I was surprised to see how far he had dropped. Then there was Jones hopping around and acting like the invincible Jones of old. Lacy couldn't hurt him, yet he couldn't knock Lacy out. Very pathetic fight for Roy.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 AM

At about the 2:00 minute mark, with Jones against the ropes in the corner, he and Lacy both threw right hands simultaneously. Lacy missed with his whot, but Jones landed his shot. Then I saw something that I don't ever think I've seen in the ring. With Jones talking to the audience and looking away from Lacy, Lacy is backing up away from Jones to the other side of the ring. Jones then finishes talking to the audience, completely unconcerned as he walks up to a waiting Lacy. Incredible.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
jds

162 posts, read 434,900 times
back in his prime Jones was imo The best fighter nearly ever he couldnt be touched and it was on all on his athletic ability since he has aged it has hurt him very badly since he relied on his athleticism so much

Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
back in his prime Jones was imo The best fighter nearly ever he couldnt be touched and it was on all on his athletic ability since he has aged it has hurt him very badly since he relied on his athleticism so much
I agree that he relied on his athleticism. Looking back at some of his fights, like the first three rounds here against James Toney, I now realize that I never liked his style of fighting. He was fast, but oh so cautious. He ducked more than he punched it seems, took a great deal of pot shots. Some landed some didn't. I never cared for his clowning. I thought Toney was a much more solid fighter and I was hoping he would knock out Jones when they fought. I think Jones is overrated. He opponents were carefully selected and I don't think there was one who was athletic enough to catch him in that stupid style of his. Glad to see Tarver and Johnson finally take him out. Roy Jones doesn't make my personal list of great fighters. I respect the fact that you think he's great though.

YouTube - Roy Jones Jr Vs James Toney Rounds 1-3

Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 7,019,737 times
RJ's resume has to be one of the worst i've seen in all the elite fighters i've seen.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 AM

9,615 posts, read 19,560,112 times
I remember when Lacy and Taylor came on the scene, each were heavily hyped.

I can't stand when fighters tool around in the ring and make a mockery of their opponent. I remember when Calzaghe was doing the very same thing to Roy and the ringside analysts were criticizing his lack of class for doing so. Never heard them say a peep when Roy did it to half his opponents.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,019,737 times
I just remembered A_Lexus is one of the biggest RJ haters lol .

Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,777,139 times
Calzaghe broke Lacys spirit- that was probably one of the worst a$$ whippings I have ever seen a boxer take
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing