Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,744,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
That's just your opinion. Mine is that Marciano would have thumped Louis.
The Louis who beat Schmeling. Are you serious? For one, unless I'm wrong didn't Schmelling beat Louis the first time? Secondly, who is Shmelling, a german wussbag. I'm so sick of people speculating as if what they say is fact. But since you did it, I'll be that ignorant too. But seriously nobody really knows. And please spare me the "I respect" Marciano blah, blah, blah crap. Because you surely don't. You've dismissed everything he accomplished in a quick paragraph. But you respect him. No you don't and you didn't know his power either. Didn't he knock Louis the f k out? Hmm, granted, Louis was at the end of his career, but it's not like just because someone is at the end of their career they don't have power themselves and the same jaw. Sometimes. RJJ is the obvious exception. Yet we don't know that because your "special ed" prize fighter Rjj spent his dynamic career running from every fighter he faced. He was a great dodger,-not boxer. Your confusing those two. So at one time, he was sly at dodging punches, that's only half the game. Many of these so called greats seem to have ducked many fighters and played it safe. At least Marciano fought whoever there was to fight. It's his fault, there was no one who could beat him?

Your like a lot of boxing enthusiasts. In fact I'd be willing to bet your whole opinion probably came from some boxing magazine. You buy into the crap these old boxing analysts throw at you. And trust me these top ten, top five lists are foolish. Even if they have Marciano in them, there just plain dumb and only created for the purpose of making money. Especially when they make up these stupid lists. It's all speculation. You don't really know until so and so fights. They revel in the speed of some fighters and automatically assume such and such would beat such and such..Every other single factor is ignored. But they don't factor in heart and how one punch can tire those legs out of a "runner" type boxer. Especially one like Roy "run around the ring jones" Jr. They should give him an award for chicken dancing. Or an award for fooling us into believing he could take a punch. That's legendary to you I guess.

LMAO, Roy Jones Jr, "never seen anything since or after him". Your quote, yeah, because boxers weren't trained to run with the chickens..
Just a tad angry are we?

First of all, I offer my opinion (yes it is just that an opinion) of fighters based on my own observations. If I were a fanboy or Burt Sugar disciple, I'd be all over the nuts of guys like Ali, Chavez, and Mayweather, of which I am not a fan. FWIW, I happen to think Ali was one of the most overrated champions ever, so your claim that I just regurgitate everything I read in boxing magazines has now been put to rest.

I do in fact respect Marciano. He was very small for a heavyweight, fought at 185 against guys who were bigger, stronger and faster. He could take a punch, had tremendous heart, and a devastating right hand. He did more with less. However, it is still my O-P-I-N-I-O-N, that he would not have retired undefeated if he had fought Loius in his prime or Sonny Liston as he was coming up. Hell, if Ezzard Charles had not killed a man in the ring prior to his fight with Rocky, he may have finished him off in their first fight, but many believe he held back and it cost him the match. I do think Rocky had a legit chance at beating Ali since his style was similar to Frazier.

Schmeling was a good boxer, and Louis took him for granted and didn't train the way he should have for their first fight.

As for Jones, love him or hate him, you cannot deny his talents in the ring and say that he wasn't one of the fastest/quickest punchers in the game. I'm not a fan of Mayweather, but I would never deny he's a very talented boxer. I don't deny a fighter's talent based on my own preferences in terms of boxer's who I like as a fan. I couldn't stand Prince Hamed, but I acknowledge he had talent. Same with fighters such as Pernell Whitaker, Larry Holmes, Riddick Bowe, and Sergio Martinez. I myself have criticized Jones for playing it safe and hyping some of his fights only to put on a mediocre performance. In this case, I feel as though a prime Jones would have defeated Lebedev. Not sure why my opinion makes you so angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM

21 posts, read 51,445 times
It's sad because the end of his career has really painted his full career in a bad light, especially to younger fans. If Jones would have retired after beating Ruiz, or retired after he beat Tarver the first time (or even just not given Tarver a rematch), he'd go down as the greatest fighter of his generation easily, and arguably the best ever.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,301,771 times
I agree its sad. Matter of fact, I did not watch your video and probably won't. I do disagree that his legacy will not be tainted. Historians and alike, are great at chomping of down years. I still view him as pound for pound the best.

At the same time, maybe I am being overly critical, but I thought that I detected a slight delay in his speech this past weekend on HBO Boxing...double check me. Roy's speech seemed a little slower than normal and he is a speed demon at everything.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM

519 posts, read 602,303 times
Unfortunately Roy has yet another fight (presumably at cruiserweight again) scheduled for December. It's against some dude named Max Alexander who is also on a three fight losing streak so hopefully Roy won't get punished. It'd be nice if he could KO this guy and then decide to end his career on a winning note.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,783,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I agree its sad. Matter of fact, I did not watch your video and probably won't. I do disagree that his legacy will not be tainted. Historians and alike, are great at chomping of down years. I still view him as pound for pound the best.

At the same time, maybe I am being overly critical, but I thought that I detected a slight delay in his speech this past weekend on HBO Boxing...double check me. Roy's speech seemed a little slower than normal and he is a speed demon at everything.

Heck, he was the fighter of the decade '90s and what he's doing now won't ruin his legacy with me. Montell Griffin who fought him twice and sparred with Mayweather said he's got quicker hands than Mayweather. Jones vs Duran or Leonard, Hearns, Hagler would have been great fight I believe.

I think Glen Johnson ruined him, just like Holyfield and Golata ruined Bowe and Chavez ruined Taylor back I think in the late '80s. Btw Taylor should of won that fight. Look what Margarito did to Cotto, except for the head butting, granite chinned Holyfield, most fighters can't take years of abuse without repercussions. Holyfield when it comes to his chin is in a class all by himself.

Back on track, primes for boxers can be relatively short, Tyson's was real short I think the Ruddock fights hurt him more than the Douglas fight. Jones was a great boxer and that won't be taken from him but he needs to stop before permanent damage is done if it hasn't already.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM

175 posts, read 845,665 times
Who was the greatest Heavyweight? Joe Louis and Ali has to be considered IMHO.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,293,996 times
Quote:
Jones was a great boxer and that won't be taken from him but he needs to stop before permanent damage is done if it hasn't already.
I couldn't agree more. I also believe Bernard should follow suit as well. I mean let's get real here..Do these guys really need the money THAT bad? It's not like they are starving. When jones and Bernard fought recently, that was painful to watch. Ten years ago is when this fight should have taken place.

I hope when Jones does fight Alexander, he is not going to be a punching bag.

I can only imagine how hard it is to retire after doing something you love. However, there is also a fine line betweeen that and getting continually pounded by fighters that WE know they would have destroyed in their prime.

Here is an article that may fit into this thread:

James Toney and Roy Jones Jr: Kings of Yesterday, Dinosaurs of Today - Bad Left Hook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing