U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,323 posts, read 20,847,462 times
Reputation: 18436

Advertisements

An increasingly flabby Roy Jones gets KTFO, slowly tumbling face first to the canvas after taking some head shots in the final round. Quite a scene. He has stayed too long and taken too many shots.


YouTube - ‪Denis Lebedev vs Roy Jones Jr. 10th Round Box Watch online at full video‬‏
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2011, 10:36 PM
 
9,092 posts, read 17,756,262 times
Reputation: 6939
that is so sad ................. i wish the guy would just retire .... just a bad scene
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
519 posts, read 545,938 times
Reputation: 283
WTF???? What is his malfunction? Is he hurting for money?? I didn't even realize RJJ was fighting tonight....and at cruiser weight at that. Maybe that's part of the reason why tough as nobody really seems to care about the cruiser division. At any rate, RJJ needs to hang his gloves up once and for all. If not before, he definitely should have retired after outclassing Tito Trinidad. He's destroying his legacy and may be doing permanent damage to himself. It seemed of late that things were better between him and HBO. He should try and do commentary for B.A.D. while he still has some semblance of speaking ability left. Just a sad state of affairs for a once great boxer...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,413 posts, read 19,226,519 times
Reputation: 18560
Sad. I hate to see a once great fighter go out like this. Hopefully he doesn't suffer any permanent brain damage from these KO's. I hope he retires for good. Reminds of Joe Louis' KO loss to Rocky. Seeing a guy past his prime get KO'd by someone you know he could have mauled while in his prime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,772,955 times
Reputation: 2812
I hate to see that. He needs to watch Ali's last few fights and realize that he's starting down that path.
I wish the ref in this one had been a little more decisive inthe stoppage because he took a pretty good uppercut that didn't need to happen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,486 posts, read 6,868,492 times
Reputation: 3496
That was so sad to watch.

The other sad thing is he's going to continue fighting, he needs the money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,975 posts, read 31,756,814 times
Reputation: 10491
Man, that was sad. Was he winning the fight up to that point?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Hell, NY
3,163 posts, read 4,692,525 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Sad. I hate to see a once great fighter go out like this. Hopefully he doesn't suffer any permanent brain damage from these KO's. I hope he retires for good. Reminds of Joe Louis' KO loss to Rocky. Seeing a guy past his prime get KO'd by someone you know he could have mauled while in his prime.

That's a messed up assumption. I don't think that Joe would have mauled Rocky Marciano. It's not like Marciano was exactly in his prime then either. Anyway, he never lost and I hardly think "any" boxer would have just easily "mauled" him as you say. And maybe it's against popular opinion, but I think Rocky would have won with both in their prime. It's not like Rocky wanted to fight him anyway. He looked up to him. It was hard for him to fight Joe.

I think you could have used a better example, especially in this day in age. I was thinking more Mike Tyson. Although, RJJ was never the hitter that Tyson was. Both careers went kaput fast and pathetically fromw what they once were.

RJJ career was over when he slowed down. When he couldn't run from boxers anymore, he had to take the punishment. That is when we found out that he had no chin. It's not like the guy took tons of punishment in his career either. He basically made a career running around the ring avoiding punishment like I've never seen any boxer. In his youth he was great because he was hard to hit, and we didn't know yet that he had no chin. Yes, technically smart, but there's not much to longevity from that type of boxing. Power is the last to go on a boxer. So, if he had any type of power, and some semblence of a chin, he should still be able to fight. Especially today, when the boxing world doesn't have any real legitimate threats or superstars outside of Paccio. Forget Mayweather, he's another RJJ type. Afraid to stand there and bang. He won't allow his rep to tarnish because he ducks any real threats (cough-Paccio) (I'm sure I spelled that wrong/anyway).

But getting back to Roy (chicken head shi t talking) Jr isn't even that old yet. Other boxers have done it much older. But because of his style, he can't. That hardly qualifies him for a great legacy. Any yes, he is tarnishing his fake bravado that we once thought of him as having. The truth is he was always a coward and just running from punches and here and there doling out little love taps does not make a complete boxer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,413 posts, read 19,226,519 times
Reputation: 18560
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
That's a messed up assumption. I don't think that Joe would have mauled Rocky Marciano. It's not like Marciano was exactly in his prime then either. Anyway, he never lost and I hardly think "any" boxer would have just easily "mauled" him as you say. And maybe it's against popular opinion, but I think Rocky would have won with both in their prime. It's not like Rocky wanted to fight him anyway. He looked up to him. It was hard for him to fight Joe.

I think you could have used a better example, especially in this day in age. I was thinking more Mike Tyson. Although, RJJ was never the hitter that Tyson was. Both careers went kaput fast and pathetically fromw what they once were.

RJJ career was over when he slowed down. When he couldn't run from boxers anymore, he had to take the punishment. That is when we found out that he had no chin. It's not like the guy took tons of punishment in his career either. He basically made a career running around the ring avoiding punishment like I've never seen any boxer. In his youth he was great because he was hard to hit, and we didn't know yet that he had no chin. Yes, technically smart, but there's not much to longevity from that type of boxing. Power is the last to go on a boxer. So, if he had any type of power, and some semblence of a chin, he should still be able to fight. Especially today, when the boxing world doesn't have any real legitimate threats or superstars outside of Paccio. Forget Mayweather, he's another RJJ type. Afraid to stand there and bang. He won't allow his rep to tarnish because he ducks any real threats (cough-Paccio) (I'm sure I spelled that wrong/anyway).

But getting back to Roy (chicken head shi t talking) Jr isn't even that old yet. Other boxers have done it much older. But because of his style, he can't. That hardly qualifies him for a great legacy. Any yes, he is tarnishing his fake bravado that we once thought of him as having. The truth is he was always a coward and just running from punches and here and there doling out little love taps does not make a complete boxer.
The prime Joe Louis who defeated the likes of Schmeling, Baer, and Sharkey would have outboxed Marciano over ten or twelve grueling rounds which would have left Marciano looking like raw hamburger. Marciano never defeated a championship caliber fighter in their prime. He was a great champion, but built his resume on fighters who still had something left in the tank but certainly not in their prime. Not his fault, he fought whoever was there at the time. I respect him, but I just don't think he would have been as successful had he fought in the era ten years prior or ten years after.

Roy's weakness became his age. The ducking, slipping, and fighting with his hands at his sides worked great when he was in his prime. Once his reflexes slowed, his style of fighting proved to be very ineffective. Similar to Ali. Roy had a reputation for playing it safe throughout his career, but you can't deny the natural talent this guy had and watching him in his prime was a treat. The hand speed and accuracy of his punches were unmatched by anyone before or since. He made it look easy in his prime. After dropping about 25 pounds of muscle weight in his 30's to get back down to Lt. Heavy, he was never the same. Especially after his first ever KO loss. I believe he never recovered from that and should have stopped fighting after his loss to KO loss to Glen Johnson.

To make the claim that Roy isn't that old yet, he's 42 years old. Not sure how much time you've spent in the ring, but go ahead and try boxing just three rounds when you're 42 against an opponent ten or 15 years younger, let me know how that works out for you. Hopkins pulled it off, but he's an exception and has always been in top condition, has rarely if ever been hurt, and he's a dirty fighter. There aren't too many 40+ year old fighters tearing it up out there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Hell, NY
3,163 posts, read 4,692,525 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The prime Joe Louis who defeated the likes of Schmeling, Baer, and Sharkey would have outboxed Marciano over ten or twelve grueling rounds which would have left Marciano looking like raw hamburger. Marciano never defeated a championship caliber fighter in their prime. He was a great champion, but built his resume on fighters who still had something left in the tank but certainly not in their prime. Not his fault, he fought whoever was there at the time. I respect him, but I just don't think he would have been as successful had he fought in the era ten years prior or ten years after.

Roy's weakness became his age. The ducking, slipping, and fighting with his hands at his sides worked great when he was in his prime. Once his reflexes slowed, his style of fighting proved to be very ineffective. Similar to Ali. Roy had a reputation for playing it safe throughout his career, but you can't deny the natural talent this guy had and watching him in his prime was a treat. The hand speed and accuracy of his punches were unmatched by anyone before or since. He made it look easy in his prime. After dropping about 25 pounds of muscle weight in his 30's to get back down to Lt. Heavy, he was never the same. Especially after his first ever KO loss. I believe he never recovered from that and should have stopped fighting after his loss to KO loss to Glen Johnson.

To make the claim that Roy isn't that old yet, he's 42 years old. Not sure how much time you've spent in the ring, but go ahead and try boxing just three rounds when you're 42 against an opponent ten or 15 years younger, let me know how that works out for you. Hopkins pulled it off, but he's an exception and has always been in top condition, has rarely if ever been hurt, and he's a dirty fighter. There aren't too many 40+ year old fighters tearing it up out there.
That's just your opinion. Mine is that Marciano would have thumped Louis.
The Louis who beat Schmeling. Are you serious? For one, unless I'm wrong didn't Schmelling beat Louis the first time? Secondly, who is Shmelling, a german wussbag. I'm so sick of people speculating as if what they say is fact. But since you did it, I'll be that ignorant too. But seriously nobody really knows. And please spare me the "I respect" Marciano blah, blah, blah crap. Because you surely don't. You've dismissed everything he accomplished in a quick paragraph. But you respect him. No you don't and you didn't know his power either. Didn't he knock Louis the f k out? Hmm, granted, Louis was at the end of his career, but it's not like just because someone is at the end of their career they don't have power themselves and the same jaw. Sometimes. RJJ is the obvious exception. Yet we don't know that because your "special ed" prize fighter Rjj spent his dynamic career running from every fighter he faced. He was a great dodger,-not boxer. Your confusing those two. So at one time, he was sly at dodging punches, that's only half the game. Many of these so called greats seem to have ducked many fighters and played it safe. At least Marciano fought whoever there was to fight. It's his fault, there was no one who could beat him?

Your like a lot of boxing enthusiasts. In fact I'd be willing to bet your whole opinion probably came from some boxing magazine. You buy into the crap these old boxing analysts throw at you. And trust me these top ten, top five lists are foolish. Even if they have Marciano in them, there just plain dumb and only created for the purpose of making money. Especially when they make up these stupid lists. It's all speculation. You don't really know until so and so fights. They revel in the speed of some fighters and automatically assume such and such would beat such and such..Every other single factor is ignored. But they don't factor in heart and how one punch can tire those legs out of a "runner" type boxer. Especially one like Roy "run around the ring jones" Jr. They should give him an award for chicken dancing. Or an award for fooling us into believing he could take a punch. That's legendary to you I guess.


LMAO, Roy Jones Jr, "never seen anything since or after him". Your quote, yeah, because boxers weren't trained to run with the chickens..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top