U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 PM

519 posts, read 557,055 times

Advertisements

I know there are some who may not think that Bernard is a great fighter but you've gotta give it up for the old man, the legend. Jean Pascal was tailor-made for Hopkins. Yes, he has fast hands and true knockout power, but he had no defense for the straight right and didn't make many adjustments on-the-fly. The ref blew some calls, but all in all I thought it was a pretty entertaining fight especially by Bernard Hopkins standards.

Now he wants to move on to Chad Dawson, which I don't know is a good stylistic matchup for him, and then to Lucian Bute, which would be intriguing imo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:43 PM

14,319 posts, read 21,206,250 times
Default Good win for Hopkins, but no surprise

I applaud Hopkins for beating yet another mediocre opponent at his age. He can "school" these types of fighters each and every time. For his sake, I hope he doesn't stay at the fair too long though. I'd hate to see him on the tail end of the type of surprise shot that changed Roy Jones' future forever courtesy of Tarver.

I wish the US heavyweights would train and be as dedicated as Hopkins. Just a shame watching these sorry, flabby-looking heavyweights bring such shame to a once-great division.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 AM

5,511 posts, read 7,019,230 times
Just goes to show you the hard work and dedication Hopkins has, even at 46 he can keep going for a few years.

He became the oldest champion in boxing history, surpassing George Foreman .

Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM

9,612 posts, read 19,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I applaud Hopkins for beating yet another mediocre opponent at his age. He can "school" these types of fighters each and every time. For his sake, I hope he doesn't stay at the fair too long though. I'd hate to see him on the tail end of the type of surprise shot that changed Roy Jones' future forever courtesy of Tarver.

I wish the US heavyweights would train and be as dedicated as Hopkins. Just a shame watching these sorry, flabby-looking heavyweights bring such shame to a once-great division.
Exactly how I feel. Hopkins deserves a credit for winning a belt at age 46, but he beat a guy who has hardly any boxing skills. It was like watching a crafty boxer fight an MMA fighter in a boxing ring. Plenty of cheap stuff going on between both fighters...hitting behind the back and head, holding, leading with their heads etc. Not a pretty fight at all. But, I give Hopkins credit for being a highly conditioned athlete who takes his training seriously.

On a side note, something has to be done about all those logos on boxing ring canvas. Too many times I've seen fighters lose thier footing on these things, especially when they get wet.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM

9,612 posts, read 19,558,637 times
I also think a fight between him and Dawson would be a snooze fest. I fight between Hopkins and Bute will probably end the same as Calzaghe. I think Bute is quick and crafty enough to dominate Hopkins rather easily. The way to beat Hopkins is to take the fight to him and make him work for it. Dawson won't press him that hard and Bernard would have a legimate chance at beating him in an ugly and very boring fight.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM

14,319 posts, read 21,206,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Just goes to show you the hard work and dedication Hopkins has, even at 46 he can keep going for a few years.

He became the oldest champion in boxing history, surpassing George Foreman .
I certainly agree. Quite an achievement! Kudos to Hopkins!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 16,636,097 times
I'm also glad that Hopkins won, but it wasn't a very exciting fight, at least for me.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 AM

4,047 posts, read 9,708,713 times
Good fight...I thought is was entertaining, at least more than the ppv fights

Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM

434 posts, read 831,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Exactly how I feel. Hopkins deserves a credit for winning a belt at age 46, but he beat a guy who has hardly any boxing skills. It was like watching a crafty boxer fight an MMA fighter in a boxing ring. Plenty of cheap stuff going on between both fighters...hitting behind the back and head, holding, leading with their heads etc. Not a pretty fight at all. But, I give Hopkins credit for being a highly conditioned athlete who takes his training seriously.

On a side note, something has to be done about all those logos on boxing ring canvas. Too many times I've seen fighters lose thier footing on these things, especially when they get wet.
The guy he had the fight with was the champ... All credit to b-hop... how do you hand pick a fight when you are fighting the champ... even it he is not that good... If I whoop someones you know what on the street and they cant fight I still want my credit... It wasn't my fault and its not his fault either

Last edited by sleepy eyes 1979; 05-23-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM
jds

162 posts, read 434,883 times
hopkins vs bute is the fight hopkins could win.. against dawson its tough because dawson has a jab which would bother hopkins IE( Taylor) . either fight would be close Imo i think BUTE is overrated. KEssler would dominate him imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing