Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times

Advertisements

Basically Mayweather dominated the first four rounds.. Ortiz got fustrated and intentionally headbutted Floyd while he was against the rope.. The referee had to stop the fight in order to deduct a point from Ortiz.. Ortiz apologizes while the ref separates the two fighters.. Both fighters meet in the ring(hugging each other) as Ortiz apologizes for the second time.. Ortiz doesn't protect himself at all times, and Mayweather knocks him out with a right then powerful left hand shot...

Alot of people already don't like Mayweather, because he plays the villan so good. I know he'll be criticized by the media and boxing fans..

In the post game interview Floyd told Larry Merchant you don't know s##t about boxing.. He stated HBO and Larry never seem to give him a fair shake.. Larry replied if he was 50 years younger he would whip Floyd's a## lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Basically Mayweather dominated the first four rounds.. Ortiz got fustrated and intentionally headbutted Floyd while he was against the rope.. The referee had to stop the fight in order to deduct a point from Ortiz.. Ortiz apologizes while the ref separates the two fighters.. Both fighters meet in the ring(hugging each other) as Ortiz apologizes for the second time.. Ortiz doesn't protect himself at all times, and Mayweather knocks him out with a right then powerful left hand shot...

Alot of people already don't like Mayweather, because he plays the villan so good. I know he'll be criticized by the media and boxing fans..

In the post game interview Floyd told Larry Merchant you don't know s##t about boxing.. He stated HBO and Larry never seem to give him a fair shake.. Larry replied if he was 50 years younger he would whip Floyd's a## lol..
Floyd sucks, guy is overrated, Ortiz sucks more, why isn't Floyd accepting the fight with Sergio Martinez?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM

179 posts, read 399,312 times
Ok....you clearly didn't watch the fight or you weren't paying attention.

Round 1: 10-9 Mayweather
Round 2: 9-10 Ortiz
Round 3: 10-9 Mayweather
Round 4: Ortiz had Mayweather against the ropes and was nailing him, got too excited and tried to "headbutt" BIG DEAL. Then Ortiz starts apologizing and tries to hug Mayweather, the ref's signal to carry on was weak, while Ortiz was looking at the ref for the signal Mayweather KO's him. Dirty prick, i hope he gets his butt handled by Pacman.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Floyd sucks, guy is overrated, Ortiz sucks more, why isn't Floyd accepting the fight with Sergio Martinez?
Floyd would destroy Sergio Martinez, and it would be a major waste of time..

Why is Manny afraid to agree to the same terms as Mosely and Ortiz?

Can you be 42-0 and be overrated??? Shane Mosley, Diego Corrales, Juan Marquez, Arturo Gatti, Oscar De Le Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Zab Judah, DeMarcus Corely, Carlos Baldomir, and lasty Victor Ortiz to name a few of the victims..

Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
I feel sorry for the suckers that actually paid money to watch that crap.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post

Round 4: Ortiz had Mayweather against the ropes and was nailing him, got too excited and tried to "headbutt" BIG DEAL. Then Ortiz starts apologizing and tries to hug Mayweather, the ref's signal to carry on was weak, while Ortiz was looking at the ref for the signal Mayweather KO's him. Dirty prick, i hope he gets his butt handled by Pacman.
According to who's scorecord?? One of the greatest fighters of this generation(including Bernard, Roy, and Manny) was up 3-0 vs Ortiz..

Mayweather, ahead on the scorecards 3-0 at the time, outlanded Ortiz 73-26.
Mayweather KO’s Ortiz in the fourth, but finish labeled dirty by many in attendance - Boxing Experts Blog - Boxing*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

A intentional headbut and getting too excited are two diffrent things. If you're wining then you don't have to take cheapshots, Ortiz is the dirty prick for headbutting during a boxing match..

Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:

Agreed, I don't know how any intelligent person can watch that and not think it was a dirty move by Mayweather. I lost all respect for Mayweather and boxing. How can they give him the win for this. It looked like a WWE move. No wonder people prefer MMA now. People are tired of the corruption in boxing. I would love to see Manny beat Mayweather's face in. Mayweather is a big pu$$.y for throwing a move like that. Mayweather might as well punch someone with their back turned which I'm sure some people with find that to be good strategy by Mayweather as well.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 PM

Do you think Ortiz is a big pu$$y for headbutting someone during a boxing match?? Ortiz should have know better, noboby wants to hug after you intentionally headbutt them.

Facts..
Headbutting your opponent is illegal..
Knocking your opponent out is legal...

Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:

The judges disagreed with you.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Ring Generalship prevails over machismo and young unprofessionalism

Very interesting fight. Floyd came prepared as usual. He trained hard for this fight. Ortiz come in looking like a warrior, mohawk and tattoos. He was touted as the stronger of the two, someone who was going to knock Floyd out. Ortiz made sure that he came in 14 lbs heavier than Floyd. Floyd was 150, a super welterweight. Ortiz was 164, a super middleweight. Shame on Ortiz for trying to compensate for this inferior skills by coming in much heavier than Floyd. It was a left, then a right that felled Ortiz.

For four rounds, Floyd dominated. He was far more skilled in defense and slipping punches. His timing was better. He got off first and landed the most effective punches more frequently. Ortiz tried to be aggressive, but he was outmatched. On that rare occasion when he broke through Floyd's guard with a glancing shot, it appeared Floyd let him do it because he wasn't concerned.

The crowd roared when Ortiz landed during one of his ineffective aggressive charges, but that head butt was not the first that Ortiz had attempted. I counted at least two attempts before of Ortiz trying to head butt Floyd. Ortiz looked raw, unprofessional, and inexperienced. Floyd looked relaxed, unconcerned, and in charge. He snapped Ortiz's head back on multiple occasions and embarrassed him many times by outboxing him. No doubt the head butt by Ortiz was out of frustration because his aggressiveness always came up empty.

I felt the knockout of Ortiz was inevitable. He was being thoroughly outboxed and Floyd was measuring his man and biding his time. Ortiz forgot the basic rule in Boxing to always protect yourself, and he got clocked. He would argue that he was only apologizing to Floyd for the headbutt for the second time, but there was no indication prior to that in the dealings between the two that Ortiz was so damn polite. In fact Ortiz always appeared to try to intimidate Floyd and show nothing but disdain for him. Ortiz went out of his way to show disrespect for Floyd throughout the pre-fight hype. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Floyd take advantage of Ortiz's mistake and knocking the hell out of him, ending the fight.

Surprised by the rant against Larry Merchant in the post-fight interview, but I can see Floyd's point. Even if Floyd signs and beats the hell out of Pacman, Merchant will find something to criticize him about. Floyd still harbors a great deal of rage because of such treatment, and unless he beats himself, there isn't anybody who can beat a well-prepared Floyd Mayweather.

With Boxing in dire need of such talent, so refreshing to watch Floyd each time he fights. IMO, Boxing needs more fighters with the hall-of-fame skill and talent of Floyd Mayweather, not the unprofessional machismo of grunts like Ortiz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing