U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win Margarito vs Cotto II?
Antonio Margarito 6 42.86%
Miguel Cotto 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM

14,318 posts, read 21,567,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I hope you guys are right. But, I now have my doubts given he changed trainers. I haven't bothered to look up info on this Benitez guy. Again, how many professional world champions has he produced?
IMO, in this particular case, Cotto is simply far better than Margarito as a fighter. His talent level is far superior to Margarito's. I don't feel a change of trainers minimizes this fact. Cotto is younger, has taken some punishment in his wins, but the motivation to undo the damage caused by Margarito is a big one. Margarito needs to prove that his win over Cotto wasn't a fluke, but he won't be able to. This really is his last hurrah.

I have a huge problem with Margarito. He cheated to move up the rankings because he didn't have the ability or the confidence to do it naturally. He is a shameful fighter, capitalizing on the name he built for himself while cheating. Being so mediocre, he didn't stand a chance against a faded Mosley or Pacman. He's 33 now and something tells me that over the last 7 years, he lost every fight in which he didn't cheat. Neither he nor Cotto can beat Pacman, but Cotto gave a better account of himself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 AM

5,524 posts, read 7,171,374 times
I think Cotto will get a UD on this fight. He's far too mentally-crushed from 08 to finish off Margarito. His killer instinct is gone.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:11 PM

12,232 posts, read 16,200,021 times
Quote:
Given that we now know how and why "plasterman" margarito was able to dismember his pre-Mosley opponents, I have no doubt that Miguel Cotto will vindicate his first loss. The Tijuana "plaster" tornado has been exposed.
I agree. Cotto is fired up and wants revenge. This can go a long way as long as he stays focused and does not swing wildly and leave himself open.

Margarito should never have been allowed to return to the ring in my opinion. This could have been a repeat of the Luis Resto-Billy Collins Jr. Incident at the Garden. Collins lost most most of his vision and his life was in ruins after that.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM

519 posts, read 575,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Margarito should never have been allowed to return to the ring in my opinion. This could have been a repeat of the Luis Resto-Billy Collins Jr. Incident at the Garden. Collins lost most most of his vision and his life was in ruins after that.
Fully agree. Margacheato should have been banned from the sport for life.

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM

121 posts, read 229,183 times
Quote:
I agree. I too was enjoying and very happy with Cotto's boxing that night up until about the 7th or 8th round. That's probably when the "plaster of margarito" solidified enough to give him the edge.

Cotto's corner should have margarito's gloves x-rayed and dog-sniffed before the next fight.
yup..i think thats when the gloves softened too...cuz in the 7th round, all of sudden Cotto started swelling and bleeding from his nose,ears,EYES!! very very unsual..so if Rito has that much power and he connects in this fight..he should leave Cotto looking the same right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Fully agree. Margacheato should have been banned from the sport for life.

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk
yup i agree..for life..he couldve killed somebody.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 PM

519 posts, read 575,589 times
After watching the Cotto vs. Margacheato face off with Max Kellerman, I gotta say I'm even more excited to see this fight!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM

12,232 posts, read 16,200,021 times
Default Fair Game now!!

Cotto is ready! I hope he floors Mr. Plaster-of-Paris, And enjoys an Ice cold beer on the way back to the showers!!.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:33 PM

191 posts, read 258,384 times
I will be pulling for Cotto, but I say Margarito wins. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. I think Cotto threw away a big advantage by not retaining Emmanuel Steward as his trainer. It should be an exciting fight.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:57 AM

3,501 posts, read 4,090,855 times
Rumor has it that Margarito still uses plaster in his fights. However, he now introduces the substance in SUPPOSITORY form in order to gain a 10 pound weight advantage over his opponents. That is a genius move on his part. Who'd a thunk it?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM

12,975 posts, read 32,720,350 times
I think Margarito wins this one. Cotto IS in FACT the better boxer but the fact that he does not have Emmanual in his corner and is obviously carrying some emotional baggage from being cheated on in the first fight AND the fact that I think Manny "ended" him, all this taken into account makes me think that Margarito will beat him. Margarito really doesnt have anything to prove so he doesnt have any pressure on him in this fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing