Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times

Advertisements

Some are known for being colourful characters (Luo Duva immediately comes to mind). Others for being shady unscrupulous persons bordering on the criminal who'd do anything, including using illegal tactics, to get a win from their pugilist (Panama Lewis). But few are those who stand out for being methodical skillful chess masters possesed by uncommon boxing intelligence; men not given to the emotional drama that often plagues the sweet science; men who appear to be in full control of the scene, precisely when it's needed most (Ray Arcel, Eddie Futch, Freddie Roach).

Can you name a favourite boxing trainer of yours and state why he is?

Aside from those referred to above, Buddy Mcgirt is one of my favourites. Although he's recently failed to produce top notch fighters, he seems to be in control of most fights he's involved in. I admire his ability to clearly verbalize and explain offense or defense strategy to his fighters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Booey Fisher (who we lost recently), Eddie Futch, Emmanual Steward and Freddie Roach are the main ones that come to mind. I was lucky enough to have personally met all of them and to use an anaology from Kung Fu theater, if they were kung fu guys, they would be the old long white bearded masters living in Shaolin. Bernard Hopkins and Andrew Toney, if they ever decided to become trainers, would be like these guys. They are masters and highly skilled craftsman of the science.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM

The only professional trainer I ever met was a guy by the name of Al Bolden. He trained Iran "The Blade" Barkley for his fight against Roberto Duran. I recall him telling me how much he hated "that #&@*her fu$%&* Don King." He was a mad old trainer but funny as hell in his own way.

Man. The crickets sure are chirping on this thread. So much for "trainer talk."

Old 10-16-2011, 06:32 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Emanuel Stewart
Eddie Futch
Gil Clancy
Freddie Roach

I like these trainers because they not only train their fighters on what and what not to do, and how to do, but they also know what to look for in their fighters opponents and they teach their fighters how to exploit their opponents weaknesses. Old school trainers with no gimmicks or excessive profanity, but good solid training/coaching/mentoring. These guys study the science of boxing and pass on pearls of wisdom to their fighters and fans.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
Roger Maywhether
Old school Eddie Futch

Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM

I forgot to mention the legendary Mexican trainer Nacho Berenstein. Now that's old school. I truly admire that guy.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM

21 posts, read 51,478 times
I like Yoel (sp?) Judah, I like Pernell Whitaker as a trainer (obviously, a lot moreso as a fighter though).

Old 10-28-2011, 06:03 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,530,131 times
Kevin Rooney. When he trained Mike Tyson he had incredible defense and rarely got hit. He was always moving his upper body and got great leverage on his punches. After he replaced Rooney his skills eroded quickly.

He wasn't a bad fighter himself, but never reached the elite level.

Panama Lewis should still be in jail. His actions led to Billy Collins' death, even if it was years later. Win or lose fair and square. Don't resort to cheating to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing