U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,736,485 times

Advertisements

Former heavyweight contender Ron Lyle, who fought Muhammad Ali for the title in 1975 and later battled George Foreman, has died in Denver at age 70. Lyle died Saturday from complications from a sudden stomach ailment, said Ron McKinney, a Salvation Army official in Denver. Details weren’t immediately available.

Ex-heavyweight contender Ron Lyle dies at 70 - Boxing - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AgiUrIo6ISzvYPr95Fte1p2UxLYF?slug=ap-obit-ronlyle - broken link)

Foreman vs. Lyle - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,840,699 times
Default May Lyle rest in peace

Wow, tragic. Ron Lyle was an incredible fighter. Great power, suspect endurance. He was a smart fighter too. I won't forget his knockout of Ernie Shavers, or his fight with Ali. He was beating Ali until he tired and got caught. I thought the referee stopped that fight prematurely. Then of course was his unforgettable war with Foreman. Lyle was a giant of a man, and it's too bad that we hadn't heard much from him over the years.

That makes two fighters this year who have died after short illnesses, fighters who were knocked out by Foreman between '73 and '77. Frazier and Lyle. Anybody check on Ken Norton?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM

9,413 posts, read 19,219,420 times
Lyle was an exceptional fighter. He didn't turn pro until age 30, and he had something like 30 amateur bouts in just one year prior to going pro. He learned to box in prison after almost dying from a stab wound. He was one tough SOB and all heart. They don't make them like Lyle anymore. RIP Ron.

There's been speculation that Ali has about 6 months left to live. Watching this generation of heavyweight pass lately makes me that more grateful I had the opportunity to see them fight when I was young.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Lyle was an exceptional fighter. He didn't turn pro until age 30, and he had something like 30 amateur bouts in just one year prior to going pro. He learned to box in prison after almost dying from a stab wound. He was one tough SOB and all heart. They don't make them like Lyle anymore. RIP Ron.

There's been speculation that Ali has about 6 months left to live. Watching this generation of heavyweight pass lately makes me that more grateful I had the opportunity to see them fight when I was young.
Ali might have 6 months to live? I haven't heard this. I hope this isn't true. What a blow that will be.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM

17,198 posts, read 23,005,721 times
I remember that Foreman/Lyle fight well. When that opening bell rang it didn't take long for both fighters going absolutely full tilt. And it stayed that way till Lyle finally went down. To me it was as good a five rounds of boxing as there could be. It was an absolute slugfest.

Good comments from Coolhand68 as always regarding Lyle's turbulent younger life. A longtime friend of mine who was a City of Denver employee in the recreational department told me several months ago that for the last several years Lyle was heavily involved with coaching kids in the Cox-Lyle program at the Salvation Army Red Shield Center in the Whittier Five Points area of northeast Denver. And mentoring them. One of his favorites is a welterwight-Victor Ortiz.

A_Lexus and Coolhand68 are right. In the 1970's you had Jerry Quarry, Jimmy Ellis, Leon Spincks, Earnie Shavers, Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ali, Larry Holmes-and Ron Lyle. Talk about a top ten!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,736,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I remember that Foreman/Lyle fight well. When that opening bell rang it didn't take long for both fighters going absolutely full tilt. And it stayed that way till Lyle finally went down. To me it was as good a five rounds of boxing as there could be. It was an absolute slugfest.
When The Ring magazine observed its 75th anniversary in 1997 by citing various “bests,” it listed Round 4 of the Lyle-Foreman fight as one of boxing’s most memorable rounds.

“It was most definitely the toughest fight I’ve ever had,” Foreman said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/sp...at-70.html?hpw

Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 PM

12,975 posts, read 31,744,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
There's been speculation that Ali has about 6 months left to live.
Where did you hear that? What ailment does he have that you have heard of that makes docs speculate that he only has 6 months?

That would be a sad day for me as that guy is my hero. Sad day for America and the world. He's a rare sports legend that is legendary beyond mere sport. Arguably the most popular and recognized man in the world now that Michael Jackson is dead.

Im sad to just find out about Ron Lyle. That was one tough mofo.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM

2,956 posts, read 5,784,535 times
RIP..Lyle was an incredible fighter and ambassador of the sport.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:08 PM

12 posts, read 6,974 times
Denvers own. Overcame alot of tragedy on his way to the top.
IMO greatest heavyweight of all time that never held a belt.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Did Cooney kill Lyle?

Hard to find a youtube video of that knockout by Cooney of Lyle. If you remember that fight, it was a savage body shot that knocked Lyle out of the ring, ending the fight. Lyle would not go on to fight for another 15 years after that knockout. He was 38 and at the tail end of his career when he fought a 24 year old Cooney. Cooney was at the height of his body-hooking power when he blew away the aged, poorly-conditioned Lyle.

I often wondered what the long term effects of that body shot had on Lyle. It might've been that shot that eventually cost him his life. Just a thought.

Surprised that I can't find a video clip on this knockout though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing