Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times

Advertisements

WBA Junior Middleweight champion Miguel Cotto has agreed to undergo random Olympic style drug testing in route to his showdown with undefeated pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr on May 5th. USADA (United States Anti Doping Agency) will once again be administering the tests and Cotto has absolutely no problem with the testing; he actually supports it.

“In sports, if it’s something about skills, conditioning or preparation, you have to be [clean]. In all sports you have to be [clean] and if you can contribute to make the sport better and more clean, I’m not mad about that” explained Cotto.

What was once a major factor in the fallout of a possible fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, has now become a normal procedure when facing Floyd. Fighters like Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz and now Cotto have all agreed to the testing.

Cotto is no stranger to the testing as he still remembers being tested when he was an Olympian.

“It’s the same system used in the Olympics in 2000. It’s a simple pinch. Four to six time during camp. It’s not going to be bigger than a spoon of blood. It isn’t going to take anything out of me” said the Puerto Rican champion.

While the testing that USADA administers can at times seem a little intrusive or bothersome, Cotto has no problem with the testing as long as it helps keep the sport clean. Much like Mayweather, Cotto insists all fighters should fight on an even level playing field.

“I agree with [it] because I’m a sportsman and all I want is a clean, more clean sport the people can trust. People can sit in their homes and watch real fighters who are not using anything to have an advantage”.

http://www.boxingscene.com/miguel-co...r-clash--50258

Sounds reasonable to me and I have yet to see anyone complain about the testing except for one guy nor have I seen the drug testing have any negative effect on the other fights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Many boxers are taking these tests and no one has come up with silly excuses to not take them. Why does Manny Pacquiao refuse over and over to take random blood/urine tests?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
I workout just as hard as our famous athletes but of course I am no where near their accomplishments. My point is the recovery after a lengthy workout plan. Those athletes who do not show wear & tear or even take significant breaks between workout plans are using drugs. The body must recover, without it, injuries are expected. No significant breaks and no injuries equals drug use. And I agree 100% that Manny is using. Matter of fact, I have questions for Mayweather because of his increased size, BUT, he does take significant breaks from Boxing. Honestly, I have no problems with Steroids, I just wish that we would allow it at certain levels and it then its monitored by doctors.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Miguel Cotto Welcomes Drug Testing in Mayweather Clash.
I think this is great. It sends a strong message to Manny "mark mcguire" Pacqiao that he needs to show the world that he is NOT on PEDs. Which I firmly believe he is and has always been using.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Manny has already agreed to the drug testing, still Mayweather has found excuses not to fight him, now it's the money split.

In the last Manny/JMM fight nobody questioned whether Manny used roids. Hmm

If these are heavyweights where there could be a weight disadvantage of 30 or more lbs yeah PEDs would be a huge advantage but I know enough about steroids and hgh to know in these lower weight divisions that it wouldn't make a
difference. Mayweather is bigger than than Pacquiao anyway ,
if anything Manny should make sure he gets drug tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing