Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,466,148 times

Advertisements

Martinez is a warrior. Getting hit with bombs and at the same time fighting back.

Why didn't Jr did what he did in the last round...in earlier rounds? If he had done it then it would've been a different outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 04:44 PM

519 posts, read 601,368 times
Probably because Sergio wasn't nearly as gassed and was still a more difficult target for Junior to hit in the earlier rounds.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,301,516 times
Great win for Sergio Martinez. I didn't see the fight, but wasn't surprised by the outcome.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM

519 posts, read 601,368 times
So on top of getting his rear end kicked for @ 11 rounds, Junior tests positive in a post-fight drug test. Of course, this isn't his first time being busted for banned or illegal substances. Way to go...

Bob Arum -- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. tested positive for marijuana - ESPN

I'm sort of befuddled at Bob Arum's response:

Quote:
"The commission let (Top Rank's Carl) Moretti know (Tuesday) night that he tested positive," Arum said. "I can't really get excited about it. There's no promoter in boxing who could pass the marijuana test, including myself.

"Julio is going to have to explain to the commission what happened and the commission will be guided accordingly. If there was a trace of marijuana, to me, it's not the same as using a performance-enhancing drug. That is cheating."
Really, Bob? That's how you defend this? As 24/7 showed, JCC Jr. doesn't respect himself, his trainer or the sport of boxing and this just illustrates it even further. It'll be really interesting to see if his PED test turns up anything.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 PM

10,168 posts, read 20,709,907 times
What's more, marijuana is a performance killer, why any boxer would smoke that ish while in training is beyond me. So he possibly entered the ring without being 100%, robbing the sport of him being at his best. His work ethic already sucks, standing up his trainer and blowing off workouts. His arrogance will be his downfall.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,084,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
What's more, marijuana is a performance killer, why any boxer would smoke that ish while in training is beyond me. So he possibly entered the ring without being 100%, robbing the sport of him being at his best. His work ethic already sucks, standing up his trainer and blowing off workouts. His arrogance will be his downfall.
Wow, this is the first I'm hearing of this! (Chavez smoking the chronic)

How he could not take the biggest challenge of his career seriously perplexes me. He appears to be a spoiled brat.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,296,058 times
While the late round knock down undoubtably gave Jr. confidence he will utilize in a rematch, where I believe he will impose his will more often and take more chances, I think his overall game plan will remain similiar.

His plan will be to come on late, but he will take more chances, and push the fight earlier.

If you recall in the first quarter of the fight, Jr. was pressing the tempo and attempting to corner Martinez. What detered Chavez was a combination of precision counterpunching combined with' speed, combinations, consistant body attack, footwork, and perhaps most importantly, his ability to gain Chavez' respect with his power.

The only other fighter I know of that has managed to fracture their opponents orbital bones on TV lately is Pacquaio, so that speaks very highly of Martinez pop.

Two things will happen next time. Chavez will impose his will earlier and catch Martinez late, or Martinez will keep his body attack more consistant. This is assuming of course, that age has not caught up to him, especially since he apparently broke his hand and tore ligaments in his knee.

The key for both of them? Body attack, early, and consistantly.

We can only wish a full recovery for both fighters, and may God be with them in their future endeavours.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,297,411 times
I just saw the fight. I was impressed with Chavez ability to drop so much weight, which is very dangerous and seemingly impossible. Sergio's speed and cardio are out of the roof, WOW!

To the fight, I would guess those hip punches finally paid dividends because Sergio was hurt in round 11 which is why I saw a change in pace with Sergio in round 11. Chavez was obviously able to catch him in the 12th. After the fight, in the ring while waiting for a decision, he still looked hurt. Round 13 would have been a knockout.

For the rematch, body protection is a must because Sergio cannot bang with this guy. The rematch will not change if Sergio stays on his bicycle. Also, knees are a factor for the rematch, if both opponents knees remain the same, Chavez will win the rematch. I noticed Chavez was wearing a brace, I wonder why? Chavez strategy for this fight was sound and I agree with Pop Chavez, stop waiting to get set, throw punches in bunches which will now challenge Chavez cardio. Knees, body protection, punching power and cardio are the factors to get consider in the rematch. Both hold valuable cards for positive results.

Rematch prediction. Sergio is very intelligent, he will adjust by improving body protection and stay on the bike. At the same time, Chavez will attack with his realized superior power. Training, dedication and speed are Chavez pitfalls. Sergio can easily win with Chavez pitfalls. My prediction is Chavez (I am on the fence, while typing this answer I inadvertently typed Sergio). The basis for my prediction is familiarity. Chavez knows Sergio now, going through the process is just as important. Youth, the determination to break through with his own legacy will carry Chavez next time. Finally, Chavez gets points for the fine azz girlfriend.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,060,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
While the late round knock down undoubtably gave Jr. confidence he will utilize in a rematch, where I believe he will impose his will more often and take more chances, I think his overall game plan will remain similiar.

His plan will be to come on late, but he will take more chances, and push the fight earlier.

If you recall in the first quarter of the fight, Jr. was pressing the tempo and attempting to corner Martinez. What detered Chavez was a combination of precision counterpunching combined with' speed, combinations, consistant body attack, footwork, and perhaps most importantly, his ability to gain Chavez' respect with his power.

The only other fighter I know of that has managed to fracture their opponents orbital bones on TV lately is Pacquaio, so that speaks very highly of Martinez pop.

Two things will happen next time. Chavez will impose his will earlier and catch Martinez late, or Martinez will keep his body attack more consistant. This is assuming of course, that age has not caught up to him, especially since he apparently broke his hand and tore ligaments in his knee.

The key for both of them? Body attack, early, and consistantly.

We can only wish a full recovery for both fighters, and may God be with them in their future endeavours.
I don't want to see a Martinez v JCC Jr rematch. Martinez is getting close to 40, is it better for him to fight top fighters than a young, arrogant, pot smoker who has over a decade to redeem himself. Martinez cleary beat him, with a broken hand/wrist, in his late 30's, without a high caliber trainers like JCC Jr. He clearly won the fight, he might have let a little loose the last round, causing a knockdown, but he got back up, and instead of backing away, he directly confronted JCC Jr againg, with a broken hand/write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing