Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times

Advertisements

Just sad to see yet another once-rich fighter follow the same path as those before him. Rags to riches to serious financial woes. This once-proud and honored fighter is stuggling financially now. I hope he comes out of it OK.

Photos: Holyfield moving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 AM

519 posts, read 603,737 times
That's unfortunate considering all of the money that Holyfield. I was never a big fan of Holyfield as person. The way that he was always going on about God and how he was a born again Christian, meanwhile he was busy having nine kids with eight different women or something like that. It always struck me as a bit hypocritical. And naturally, in addition to not paying his mortgage or taxes, he's way behind on child support too.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
As much as I appreciated Holyfield, I find it difficult to pity him, especially after reading that he lived in a 54,000 sqft mansion.

How many people did he house in that mansion: 100; 50; 15; 5; 2?

Chances are, there were probably just a handful of people residing there. Assuming that was the case, why would anyone need that much space for such few people? It costs a whole lot to cool and heat that much real estate. I'm sure he (and probably most of us) would've done much better by living a less exuberant/more modest lifestyle.

Maybe he was trying to impress and show a few of his fellow (so-called) Christian brothers how much "God has blessed him" given that so many of them are fond of flaunting it whenever their new found discipline grants them a taste - a tiny morsel - of excess and exuberance. I can just hear it now. . ."Oh dear brother. Isn't God great? He gave me a 54,000 sqft mansion. . .for me and my dog. Praise His Holy name!"

Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
As much as I appreciated Holyfield, I find it difficult to pity him, especially after reading that he lived in a 54,000 sqft mansion.

How many people did he house in that mansion: 100; 50; 15; 5; 2?

Chances are, there were probably just a handful of people residing there. Assuming that was the case, why would anyone need that much space for such few people? It costs a whole lot to cool and heat that much real estate. I'm sure he (and probably most of us) would've done much better by living a less exuberant/more modest lifestyle.

Maybe he was trying to impress and show a few of his fellow (so-called) Christian brothers how much "God has blessed him" given that so many of them are fond of flaunting it whenever their new found discipline grants them a taste - a tiny morsel - of excess and exuberance. I can just hear it now. . ."Oh dear brother. Isn't God great? He gave me a 54,000 sqft mansion. . .for me and my dog. Praise His Holy name!"
Yeah, a 54000 square foot mansion is pretty excessive. I can't imagine needing that much space. Here in CA, a 4000 sq ft house is damn good living space for two families.

He had to know that one day, his Boxing career would be over, along with the big money, and that he couldn't sustain the level of spending that he enjoyed when he was in his prime. Just shameful the short-sightedness. Doesn't seem his Christian brothers advised him correctly.

What a fall though.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
I want to feel bad for Evander, BUT I really can't feel bad for a man who not only lived in an 11 million dollar house which required 1 mill an anum just to maintain, but made the money he did.

I don't think he is flat broke and may just have to "downgrade" a bit.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Yeah, a 54000 square foot mansion is pretty excessive. I can't imagine needing that much space. Here in CA, a 4000 sq ft house is damn good living space for two families.

He had to know that one day, his Boxing career would be over, along with the big money, and that he couldn't sustain the level of spending that he enjoyed when he was in his prime. Just shameful the short-sightedness. Doesn't seem his Christian brothers advised him correctly.

What a fall though.
Maybe this is why he keeps on fighting waaaaay past the time he should've retired. Not to wish bad on him, but if he continues he will end up a vegetable.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
[quote=Gil3;25243989]I want to feel bad for Evander, BUT I really can't feel bad for a man who not only lived in an 11 million dollar house which required 1 mill an anum just to maintain, but made the money he did.

I don't think he is flat broke and may just have to "downgrade" a bit.[/quote]
I don't know man...... this man still owes millions on the house, plus back child support which is $500 grand a month total on 11 kids (!!!). He has no big money fights in the future. If he aint living in a cardboard box now, he will be soon
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...n4R3DdcaNtosHA

Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Mayweather will be broke within 10 years of his retirement. He will go down the path of Holyfield, Tyson, and Foreman. Of course Foreman rebounded very well and Tyson is back to making some money. Between the three of them they lost near a billion dollars.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Anytime I see a fighter entering the ring with an entourage of a dozen or more goons, I think, here's a guy who is going to be broke and alone by the time he's 40. In some ways I feel bad for Evander, but overall not so much. Guys like Holyfield and Bowe lived to excess. Huge mansions, fleets of luxury cars, and surrounding themselves with yes men and leeches. I'm sure there were shady accountants and lawyers who got rich off these fighters too.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Anytime I see a fighter entering the ring with an entourage of a dozen or more goons, I think, here's a guy who is going to be broke and alone by the time he's 40. In some ways I feel bad for Evander, but overall not so much. Guys like Holyfield and Bowe lived to excess. Huge mansions, fleets of luxury cars, and surrounding themselves with yes men and leeches. I'm sure there were shady accountants and lawyers who got rich off these fighters too.
Add corrupt promoters to the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing