U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM
 
42 posts, read 204,745 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

in boxing, the superman punch? why is it effective in MMA and not usually seen in pro boxing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
 
1,140 posts, read 1,203,042 times
Reputation: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geulivier View Post
in boxing, the superman punch? why is it effective in MMA and not usually seen in pro boxing?
You don't leave your feet in boxing.

You see what happened to Pacquaio? That's what happens when you leave your feet.

Granted, Marquez' southpaw stance assisted in Manny losing balance due to his foot momentarily tying up, but regardless, if you leave the ground in boxing, you will get put on the ground.

Guys in MMA are mostly wrestlers that learned some rudimentary punching or the more squared up Muy Thai.

This is the MMA fighter that was quoted as having "the best boxing in MMA," against a journeyman (RIP) level boxer in Omar Henry.


Nick Diaz Sparring Omar Henry Before His Death (R.I.P) - YouTube


This is why you can do the superman punch in MMA, but not boxing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
 
42 posts, read 204,745 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
You don't leave your feet in boxing.

You see what happened to Pacquaio? That's what happens when you leave your feet.

Granted, Marquez' southpaw stance assisted in Manny losing balance due to his foot momentarily tying up, but regardless, if you leave the ground in boxing, you will get put on the ground.

Guys in MMA are mostly wrestlers that learned some rudimentary punching or the more squared up Muy Thai.

This is the MMA fighter that was quoted as having "the best boxing in MMA," against a journeyman (RIP) level boxer in Omar Henry.


Nick Diaz Sparring Omar Henry Before His Death (R.I.P) - YouTube


This is why you can do the superman punch in MMA, but not boxing.
actually the best strikers in mma are anderson silva and bj penn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,849,894 times
Reputation: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geulivier View Post
actually the best strikers in mma are anderson silva and bj penn
Don't even bother trying to tell him about anyone in Mma.

Anderson, BJ, kj noons, dos santos, IMO nick isn't top 5 and I have never heard anyone accuse nick Diaz of being the best boxer in Mma before this thread.

I also don't find this punch to be all that effective in Mma. It's not a ko punch generally, more of a distraction. A lot of times guys use it to set up a takedown or a kick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
 
1,140 posts, read 1,203,042 times
Reputation: 478
Here is KJ Noons getting schooled by journeyman level (RIP) Omar Henry when he just turned pro.


Pro Sparring!! Noons/Henry (2nd rd) - YouTube


Anderson Silva may be the greatest MMA fighter of all time, but in boxing, he is 1-1 and KOed once.

Here, he is sparring with an amateur fighter and likely would have been knocked down or out without the headgear starting at 8:58.


MMA Ultimate Set: Anderson Silva Sparring at Wild Card Boxing Club - YouTube

Also Dana White declined to let Silva fight a shot Roy Jones in a boxing match.

In this video, Dos Santos says he would beat Klitschko.


UFC 146: Junior dos Santos: Give Me Three Months, I Can Fight the Klitschkos in Boxing - YouTube


Unfortunately, while there have been two high profile, albiet shot and very shot boxers go into MMA, with varied succes, (50 year old Mercer KOed former UFC champion in under 10 seconds), so far, no MMA fighters have stepped in the boxing ring against formidable opponents.

Dos Santos would receive the biggest pay day of his career by far. Tyson Fury, a C level boxer is willing to step in the Octagon tomorrow against Cain Valesquez, but he won't pick up the telephone.

It makes sense though, because if Cain stepped in the ring with either Klitschko, he would only leave in two ways. In the helicopter or the abulance, but either way, he would be going to the hospital.

MMA is a tough sport, and in order to win, you usually have to be good at multiple disciplines, but boxing is something entirely different.

If boxing was so easy, you would see MMA fighters switching to boxing and making, by far, the highest pay days of their careers.

Dos Santos would have made millions against Klitschko.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,849,894 times
Reputation: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Here is KJ Noons getting schooled by journeyman level (RIP) Omar Henry when he just turned pro.


Pro Sparring!! Noons/Henry (2nd rd) - YouTube


Anderson Silva may be the greatest MMA fighter of all time, but in boxing, he is 1-1 and KOed once.

Here, he is sparring with an amateur fighter and likely would have been knocked down or out without the headgear starting at 8:58.


MMA Ultimate Set: Anderson Silva Sparring at Wild Card Boxing Club - YouTube

Also Dana White declined to let Silva fight a shot Roy Jones in a boxing match.

In this video, Dos Santos says he would beat Klitschko.


UFC 146: Junior dos Santos: Give Me Three Months, I Can Fight the Klitschkos in Boxing - YouTube


Unfortunately, while there have been two high profile, albiet shot and very shot boxers go into MMA, with varied succes, (50 year old Mercer KOed former UFC champion in under 10 seconds), so far, no MMA fighters have stepped in the boxing ring against formidable opponents.

Dos Santos would receive the biggest pay day of his career by far. Tyson Fury, a C level boxer is willing to step in the Octagon tomorrow against Cain Valesquez, but he won't pick up the telephone.

It makes sense though, because if Cain stepped in the ring with either Klitschko, he would only leave in two ways. In the helicopter or the abulance, but either way, he would be going to the hospital.

MMA is a tough sport, and in order to win, you usually have to be good at multiple disciplines, but boxing is something entirely different.

If boxing was so easy, you would see MMA fighters switching to boxing and making, by far, the highest pay days of their careers.

Dos Santos would have made millions against Klitschko.
so im not going to come to the boxing forum and bash boxing like so many of the boxing fans like to go to the mma forum and bash mma BUT i will say i like how you went and found some old footage of anderson (2009?) from a dvd called boxing for mma thinking this says anything about his boxing ability. (i like that touch of how anderson is 1-1 with a ko loss, except you forgot to mention that loss was in 1998! the guy he faced was 11-2, at the time. now go look at manny or floyds first few fights, and tell me thhey faced better guys)
you also misconstrued the idea that dana will not let anderson fight roy jones, or cain vs blah blah, or jds vs klitchko or what ever as fear or some underlying insight or feeling that dana knows they would get smashed/hurt. this is just not the case, dana doesnt allow it because its not on his terms, hes not going to allow it because its not his cash cow it would be someone elses.
i also love how you live off tim sylvia getting KOed as if his ufc title wasnt in the height of pride fc, where the best heavies were, and the weakest time in ufc heavy weight history. and after the disaster that was toney, dana isnt gonna let anyone else "talk their way into the ufc", and most definitely nobody is going to talk their way into a fight with the champ without a fight or 2 or 5 before hand.

and with that, i say good luck boxing fans,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
 
9 posts, read 7,175 times
Reputation: 12
Very interesting videos - thanks for posting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,768,805 times
Reputation: 2812
This whole debate about boxing versus MMA is silly. They are different sports with different rules so anyone that trains in one will have an advantage in that one versus someone that trains in another. As for this thread, the superman punch is not well-suited for boxing. As Rigas said above, it really only has limited usefulness in MMA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
 
31,370 posts, read 34,540,887 times
Reputation: 14948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geulivier View Post
in boxing, the superman punch? why is it effective in MMA and not usually seen in pro boxing?
Because a boxer would destroy anyone who foolishly tried such a thing. Personally I despise MMA there is absolutely no artistry unlike the "Sweet Science."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 3,109,191 times
Reputation: 1531
That stupid punch was invented by dream boat kids. Try that in Boxing, and you will get knocked the funk out. For someone to get caught by the superman punch, that individual has to be picking their nose and checking chicks in the audience. Did Joe Rogan invent that title? He is an irritating announcer, with all of names for moves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top