Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM

145 posts, read 358,875 times

Advertisements

every time I watch this guy fight I fall asleep, with Guerrero I fell asleep and so did one of my other friends, he's losing his speed and footwork, only a few years left for him and he'll retire, he's not the only undefeated fighter, it means nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,309,160 times
I totally disagree. Believe it or not, defense is a boxing stragety and requires an immense amount of skill. With that said, I cannot stand the guy and I also feel that he ducks fighters.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 PM

320 posts, read 539,441 times
If you're falling asleep watching Mayweather then you're probably more of a fan of people getting knocked out rather than a fan of boxing. Obviously there is nothing wrong with that because people like to watch boxing for any number of reasons. But if you like to watch boxing skill put on display at an elite level then who better to watch than Floyd? B-Hop is in that class too.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,842 times
If you put Mayweather in with a good fighter or a hard stylistic match up, it's always exciting.

Mayweather vs Cotto and Mayweather vs Ortiz was exciting.

Guererro vs Mayweather had it's moments, but for the most part it was just a boxing exhibition over an overmatched opponent.

I thought it was exciting, but I could see where you wouldn't think so because Guerrero was more of a slapper than a puncher, and he was just too slow. That took out some of the drama, but if you get caught with the wrong punch, anything can happen.

When there is a Mayweather fight, you know that his opponent will be at 100% and bring their best.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Default Superb boxing can be boring

Nothing like a Foreman-Lyle slugfest to get the juices flowing. I too fell asleep during Floyd's last fight. I didn't expect Guerrero to pose much of a challenge and didn't feel that he had even a puncher's chance to surprise Floyd the way Tarver surprised Jones to knock him out. Nevertheless, until someone beats him, he deserves respect. I appreciate his talent. I just don't consider him on the level of a Ray Robinson. I think we're fortunate to witness this man's incredible talent and career. He's not going to get into Arturo Gatti-type wars though.

I don't think Floyd can be outboxed. It's going to take a Roberto Duran to beat him, someone who is just as fast, has that warrior spirit, and applies tremendous pressure throughout the fight. It's going to take someone who is not so predictable with the type of punches he throws. Duran was crafty. It would help if Floyd has lost a step or two, maybe distracted as well by events in his personal life.

Mosley hit him and hurt him which was a sign that he's slipping a bit. Judah outboxed him at times. Castillo gave him hell, applying the pressure the way one should to make Floyd work. Cotto did the same thing, but is too much of a shot fighter to take advantage. Guerrero came ready for war, but wasn't crafty. He was too predictable. Alvarez was outboxed by Mosley, so he only has a puncher's chance against a defensive Floyd. If Alvarez can't knock him out, he loses the decision.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
It's all about match ups. I wouldn't say Floyd is boring, but he doesn't take on fighters who pose much of a threat. They are typically slower, older, smaller, etc., so his matches end up looking like a sparring session rather than a fight. Defensive fighters typically aren't the most exciting to begin with, but the ones who take on the best usually engage in a good fight. Pernell Whitaker was a defensive fighter but not at all boring. He fought everyone and put it all on the line.

If you are going to be a defensive fighter, you have to show some offense and be a good finisher. While I'm not a fan of Adrian Broner's antics, I think he is going to be everything Floyd isn't. He's fast, has a great defense, and he has a good offense. He knows how to finish a fighter. Now he just has to make sure he doesn't follow down Floyd's path of ducking the top talent.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's all about match ups. I wouldn't say Floyd is boring, but he doesn't take on fighters who pose much of a threat. They are typically slower, older, smaller, etc., so his matches end up looking like a sparring session rather than a fight.
How many guys has Floyd fought that were actually older than him?

Age and size are something you can easily control for. But "faster" is not. There aren't too many guys with better hand speed than him. And I'd say Zab Judah was by no means a slow fighter.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How many guys has Floyd fought that were actually older than him?

Age and size are something you can easily control for. But "faster" is not. There aren't too many guys with better hand speed than him. And I'd say Zab Judah was by no means a slow fighter.
Older: Mosley, De La Hoya, Marquez, Baldomir, Sharmba Mitchell, Gatti, Corley, Sosa, Castillo x2, Chavez, Hernandez, Augustus...should I go on?

Fighters slow down with age, and while Floyd does indeed have exceptional hand speed, he's more inclinded to be successful with that hand speed if he can have an opponent in front of him who has slowed down and can't move as effectively. Or one that was never fast to begin with.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM

519 posts, read 604,347 times
Now I'm starting the world of boxing according to Coolhand. Boxers should only face other boxers that have the same speed as they do, are the same age as they and the exact same size that they. Got it!

Basically, boxers should only fight clones of themselves. How unfortunate that some congressman from Maryland is trying to get a ban on human cloning passed.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Older: Mosley, De La Hoya, Marquez, Baldomir, Sharmba Mitchell, Gatti, Corley, Sosa, Castillo x2, Chavez, Hernandez, Augustus...should I go on?

Fighters slow down with age, and while Floyd does indeed have exceptional hand speed, he's more inclinded to be successful with that hand speed if he can have an opponent in front of him who has slowed down and can't move as effectively. Or one that was never fast to begin with.
Mosley had just beaten Margarito the year before. It wasn't the toughest fight, but it wasn't a cakewalk either. Shane was still respectable at that point, and besides, Pac fought Sugar Shane after Mayweather. Does that count as a strike against Pac, too?

Mayweather moved up in weight to fight DLH who was a middleweight titleholder at the time. What's easy about that?

Gatti in his prime would have been just as helpless against Mayweather. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.

There's a whopping three year age difference between FM and JMM. And clearly, an "aging" JMM was able to knock Pac the hell out whereas a younger JMM got demolished by FM.

And then FM also fights guys that are younger than him (e.g., Ortiz, Hatton, Judah).

There aren't many guys who are faster than FM. So I'm not sure what you expect him to do about that. Should he genetically engineer a welterweight version of Ivan Drago to fight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing