Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,744,044 times

Advertisements

Prior to Manny's KO loss to Marquez, I'd say that Manny destroys Rios inside of 7 or 8 rounds. We really don't know how Manny will recover from that KO, and this fight will determine if he is damaged goods or back in full form. My gut tells me that Manny will win this one via TKO over a bloody and battered Rios, or at least that's what should happen. I'm looking forward to the fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM

320 posts, read 537,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Prior to Manny's KO loss to Marquez, I'd say that Manny destroys Rios inside of 7 or 8 rounds. We really don't know how Manny will recover from that KO, and this fight will determine if he is damaged goods or back in full form. My gut tells me that Manny will win this one via TKO over a bloody and battered Rios, or at least that's what should happen. I'm looking forward to the fight.
This fight will do nothing in my eyes to prove whether or not Manny is back in full form. Rios is going to be nothing but target practice for Manny. Rios will present little if anything in the way of movement or defense that is going to prevent Manny from peppering him with power shots all night.

Rios is a very powerful lightweight. His power is just OK from what I've seen at junior welterweight; and now he is going against one of the best...at 147...whose power translates well at ALL weights. For Manny, this fight is very low risk and high reward. The low risk aspect comes from the low liklihood that Rios will be able to run Manny down and hit him with anything substantial. The high reward aspect comes from the fact that Rios always comes forward. Even when he's hurt and on unsteady legs he likes to prove that he's a tough guy by chasing his opponent down. Can you think of a better scenario for a stronger and more skilled fighter than that? Neither can I. Which is why I don't think Manny taking this guy out is going to prove that he is back in full form. An action packed fight? Absolutely, because there will be leather being traded. But I wouldn't look at it as a guage as to whether Manny is back or not.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Ok, so who is a good gauge as to whether he is back in full form? Marquez won't fight him again, Bradley already signed to fight Marquez, Mayweather is signed to Alvarez. That leaves very little in the way of worthy opponents. Devon Alexander? Amir Kahn? Danny Garcia? I think Rios is going to be more aggressive than Marquez, and he's bound to land some clean shots on Manny. How Manny can take his punches will indeed be a test. How effective he is at controlling the ring and pace, if he can finish his opponent or will he carry him to the end like he did Margarito? There are a lot of questions on the minds of boxing fans in regard to how Manny will perform. While Rios is not a great boxer, he's scrappy enough to put Manny to the test after coming off a KO loss. Rios is also coming off his first loss, so he will be coming in highly motivated.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM

320 posts, read 537,642 times
Any one of the three you mentioned would be a better fit than Rios as far as I'm concerned. You can also throw Maidana's name into the mix as well or even Matthyse. At least those guys have fought upper level competition at 140 & 147 lbs. As I've stated earlier, Rios was fighting in the lightweight division a year ago. Granted, he's had 2 fights at 140 against the same guy. But in essence he's going up 2 wgt classes... not to fight some bum, but to fight one of the all-time greats in Pacquiao! Yet you feel that this fight will somehow sufficiently test Pacquiao's skills?

I agree that Rios is scrappy and he will come into the ring ready to fight. The problem is that he's going to be outclassed and out-gunned by a wide margin. I also agree that Rios is going to be very aggressive. Why else would Bob Arum put him in there? Aggressive fighters that stand in front of Pacquiao are bound to get KO'd...especially a blown up lightweight.

Eventhough I believe that Khan would get knocked out by Manny as well, at least Khan would come into the ring with legit welterweight fire power. I would consider that a much better test of Manny's skills than Rios. Alexander can't beat Manny either but at least he would test him. Just watch, Rios is going to be a sitting duck after he realizes that the only thing he'll be able to do is show how tough he is. This is what Bob Arum is banking on to make this an exciting fight. I'll put it to you this way... If you're a prize-fighter and your best assets are being scrappy and having a good chin; you won't last long in front of elite level competition. Brandon Rios isn't going to last long in front of elite competition.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
Any one of the three you mentioned would be a better fit than Rios as far as I'm concerned. You can also throw Maidana's name into the mix as well or even Matthyse. At least those guys have fought upper level competition at 140 & 147 lbs. As I've stated earlier, Rios was fighting in the lightweight division a year ago. Granted, he's had 2 fights at 140 against the same guy. But in essence he's going up 2 wgt classes... not to fight some bum, but to fight one of the all-time greats in Pacquiao! Yet you feel that this fight will somehow sufficiently test Pacquiao's skills?

I agree that Rios is scrappy and he will come into the ring ready to fight. The problem is that he's going to be outclassed and out-gunned by a wide margin. I also agree that Rios is going to be very aggressive. Why else would Bob Arum put him in there? Aggressive fighters that stand in front of Pacquiao are bound to get KO'd...especially a blown up lightweight.

Eventhough I believe that Khan would get knocked out by Manny as well, at least Khan would come into the ring with legit welterweight fire power. I would consider that a much better test of Manny's skills than Rios. Alexander can't beat Manny either but at least he would test him. Just watch, Rios is going to be a sitting duck after he realizes that the only thing he'll be able to do is show how tough he is. This is what Bob Arum is banking on to make this an exciting fight. I'll put it to you this way... If you're a prize-fighter and your best assets are being scrappy and having a good chin; you won't last long in front of elite level competition. Brandon Rios isn't going to last long in front of elite competition.
This fight will be more of a test of Manny's mental capacity. Physically he SHOULD pound Rios into raw hamburger, but we don't know if Manny has mentally recovered from his KO. When he gets hit, and Rios will hit him, how will he react? Those are the questions I'd like to see answered. Roy Jones Jr. was never the same fighter after being KO'd by Tarver. He went on to get KO'd again by a guy he SHOULD have beaten easily.

I agree that a fight with Maidana or Matthyse would definitely be more competitive. But lets not forget, Manny is not a natural 147 pound fighter, he's come into that weight all the way from 107 lbs. That seems to be where he has the best combination of speed and power, but I'm sure his reasons for moving up were financial as well. One of my criticisms of Manny is that he allows Arum too much say into who he fights next. If he blows through Rios then I'd like to see him take a fight with someone more competitive like Maidana or Garcia. I'd like to see him in a rematch with Bradley or Marquez, but I don't think Marquez will ever give him another chance.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM

519 posts, read 602,303 times
Pacquiao-Maidana would be insane. Robert Garcia has him using his jab and boxing and moving more, but once Pacquiao hit him with something significant, the real Marcos Maidana would come out.

Danny Garcia....meh. If he's brave enough to face Lucas Matthyse, I expect him to get obliterated. After that, there'd be no reason for Pac to fight him IMHO.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing