U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM

326 posts, read 496,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Mayweather fights once a year to preserve his physique. Its almost like a national holiday when everyone waits for the day to come around. He said he was going to fight 2 times a year now haha. But I think the following fights are going to be easy for him. Seriously who is left other than Pacman? Danny Garcia can be an option but he is still reaching his prime and is fighting at 140 lbs.
Yeah I'm not terribly interested in the Danny Garcia fight. I think Garcia vs. Broner would be a good fight though.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Mayweather vs. Martinez or Golokin matchup in the future. I think there's a pretty decent chance of it happening sometime in the future even with the network wars going on right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 AM

9,413 posts, read 19,371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Yeah I'm not terribly interested in the Danny Garcia fight. I think Garcia vs. Broner would be a good fight though.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Mayweather vs. Martinez or Golokin matchup in the future. I think there's a pretty decent chance of it happening sometime in the future even with the network wars going on right now.
I don't see a good fight in Mayweather/Martinez. Martinez has always been overrated and his last few performances demonstrate that claim. Maybe it would have been an interesting fight five years ago, but he was never an "A" league fighter in my opinion. The quality of opposition at 160 just isn't there.

I would like to see the winner of a potential Canelo/Cotto fight go up against Martinez though. Canelo needs to be at 160 in my opinion, and Martinez can fight at 154 for a fight with Cotto. I think their styles match up well to make for an entertaining fight.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM

There is now talk that James Kirkland may be looking for a shot at the winner of the Cotto/Rodriguez match. He just signed a three year contract with 50-Cent's promotion company. Kirkland fights got and cold and he's another guy who can't get his game together mentally. He had a lot of potential but he's got too many demonds that prevent him from commiting himself to the sport. Still, bringing Kirkland into the fold adds for some interesting possibilities. His fights are never dull.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Cotto looked like his old self taking apart Rodriguez. He's definitely ready for anyone in the top of the rankings. Good to see him fighting in top form. Hopefully his success continues.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:22 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,815,954 times
I don't understand Bob Arum's interest in a Cotto-Martinez fight. Cotto is too small for Martinez, especially if he moves up to 160. The guy is starting to get his confidence back, there is no reason why he would move up in weight. Martinez's punches are going to feel like Margarito's to Cotto if he moves up. Martinez is also very good at using lateral movement and it would just frustrate him like in the Mayweather and Trout fights.

Canelo and Cotto, that is the most logical fight that should happen next. Their respective countries back them up and they are popular and well known in the U.S. They are boxer punchers so it will be an exciting fight. It would also be a Mexico vs Puerto Rico classic.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM

326 posts, read 496,603 times
Quote:
I don't understand Bob Arum's interest in a Cotto-Martinez fight. Cotto is too small for Martinez, especially if he moves up to 160. The guy is starting to get his confidence back, there is no reason why he would move up in weight. Martinez's punches are going to feel like Margarito's to Cotto if he moves up. Martinez is also very good at using lateral movement and it would just frustrate him like in the Mayweather and Trout fights.

Canelo and Cotto, that is the most logical fight that should happen next. Their respective countries back them up and they are popular and well known in the U.S. They are boxer punchers so it will be an exciting fight. It would also be a Mexico vs Puerto Rico classic.
Cotto vs. Martinez would be a great fight. Martinez would probably win, but it's not in the bag. Plus, it sets up an informal tournament for a Mayweather fight in September.

Personally, I would not recommend Canelo to take this fight directly off his first career loss against Mayweather. I think Canelo would probably win that fight but two highly visible losses in a row could be devastating to the young man's career. Canelo has a great career ahead of him provided he doesn't blow his next big chance. I would recommend Canelo fight Carlos Molina for the 154lbs. title, then fight Cotto.

I think a GGG/Alvarez fight could be a great matchup in the future too.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Martinez isn't much bigger than Alvarez. He's a couple of inches taller but they each come into the fight at the same weight. Martinez isn't the same fighter he was just a few years ago. He's 38 now and he hasn't really really put on a dominating performance since Pavlik. He also agreed to meet at a catch weight of 158 to fight Cotto. Last year he offered to fight Mayweather at 152 and give him an 80-20 split of the purse, but of course Floyd turned it down to fight Guerrero instead.

I think a Cotto/Martinez match would be very competitive. If he can get to Martinez' body he's got a chance. I think Cotto is a better boxer/puncher, while Martinez is a crafty fighter who uses a lot of movement.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM

519 posts, read 551,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Last year he offered to fight Mayweather at 152 and give him an 80-20 split of the purse, but of course Floyd turned it down to fight Guerrero instead.
Really? What, pray tell, is the source for this little tidbit?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Really? What, pray tell, is the source for this little tidbit?
You're the google expert, check around. Martinez put it out there and Floyd was silent. After the Cotto match he played it safe and took a fight no one wanted to see against Guerrero.

Sergio Martinez willing to take an 80

Sergio Martinez Will Fight Mayweather at 150, 80-20 Split, Says DiBella - Bad Left Hook

Y! SPORTS

Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 PM

519 posts, read 551,013 times
Oh ok, that must have been after he offered to fight Manny at 150 and, of course Manny went silent. Instead, playing it safe (or so he thought) and taking a fight no one wanted to see against the light-hitting Timothy Bradley. Got it, thanks.

Sergio Martinez: I'll Fight Pacquiao, at 150, in 2012 - Boxing News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing