Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times

Advertisements

This fight will be electric. I think Mosley will win by a late knockout because I think Zab showed the trouble that Cotto has with superior hand speed (yes I know Zab lost). I think Mosley has fought 154 pound fighters and he will be able to withstand Cotto's heat. I also question Cotto's chin. Zab and others have stunned him a bit too much for my liking. I think Mosley is underrated. Styles makes fights. There were two guys in boxing (true Jr. Middleweights) that Mosley couldn't beat and he lost to them twice, so his 4 losses are deceptive. I may be completely wrong though. Cotto may surprise me and beat Mosley in front of a very Pro Cotto (about 70% mostly Puerto Rican) crowd in NYC. What do you think? I can spell be by the way. I couldn't edit the thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I think Mosley is all fluff. He's all marketing and no substance. He's a west coast fighter, meaning he has a stellar record and looks good against overmatched opponents, but gets beaten by true warriors. He has good hand speed and can put together punches really fast. This impresses the judges and the audience, but because they are arm punches, have little effect on their opponent other than being a distraction. He was beaten by two warriors in Forrest and Wright. Both are tough fighters, like Cotto. Mosley prefers not to be in wars and looks for the easy fights, especially the ones that appear like wars on first glance. Witness that last Vargas fight. It had the makings of a war, was good for marketing, and a good money maker. However, Vargas is not at all the fighter he once was. His speech is beginning to slur and his reaction time has slowed to a crawl. Not surprising that Mosely was able to tag with that telegraphed left hook and knock him out. This was deceiving. It give one the impression that Mosely was exceptionally fast and as good as he ever was, while having one-punch knockout power. None of this is true.

Cotto is young and ferocious. He's going to give Mosley a real war, one that Mosely doesn't prefer. Mosely is in it to make money though as he appears to owe an obligation to De La Hoya. Putting on a good show and making money is what Mosley is a about. Judah is actually a better boxer than Mosely and just as fast if not faster and look how Cotto beat him down. Cotto is on the rise, and I don't see him losing this fight. Cotto by late round KO or decision. Mosley would like to make entertaining and competitive so the public demands a rematch. That's his goal. Cotto's goal is to beat the hell out Mosley and show that he is great Puerto Rican fighter.

Cotto wins this one.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default Cotto

I agree what you wrote below. Also Mosley is past his prime for sure when Cotto isnt at his best just yet. Zab did hurt Cotto but Zab hits harder then Shane Mosley. My pick will also be Cotto late.Unless Shane avoids the bombs and he will lose a decision.

I want to see Cotto vs Mayweather or Cotto vs Hattton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
I think Mosley is all fluff. He's all marketing and no substance. He's a west coast fighter, meaning he has a stellar record and looks good against overmatched opponents, but gets beaten by true warriors. He has good hand speed and can put together punches really fast. This impresses the judges and the audience, but because they are arm punches, have little effect on their opponent other than being a distraction. He was beaten by two warriors in Forrest and Wright. Both are tough fighters, like Cotto. Mosley prefers not to be in wars and looks for the easy fights, especially the ones that appear like wars on first glance. Witness that last Vargas fight. It had the makings of a war, was good for marketing, and a good money maker. However, Vargas is not at all the fighter he once was. His speech is beginning to slur and his reaction time has slowed to a crawl. Not surprising that Mosely was able to tag with that telegraphed left hook and knock him out. This was deceiving. It give one the impression that Mosely was exceptionally fast and as good as he ever was, while having one-punch knockout power. None of this is true.

Cotto is young and ferocious. He's going to give Mosley a real war, one that Mosely doesn't prefer. Mosely is in it to make money though as he appears to owe an obligation to De La Hoya. Putting on a good show and making money is what Mosley is a about. Judah is actually a better boxer than Mosely and just as fast if not faster and look how Cotto beat him down. Cotto is on the rise, and I don't see him losing this fight. Cotto by late round KO or decision. Mosley would like to make entertaining and competitive so the public demands a rematch. That's his goal. Cotto's goal is to beat the hell out Mosley and show that he is great Puerto Rican fighter.

Cotto wins this one.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:

Cotto wins this one.
I agree with some of the things you say, but judah being better than mosley come on. Same hand speed/punching power, Mosley is much better technically (have you ever seen zab's father in the corner) and a great chin. I personally have questions regarding Mosley's sexual preference, but in the boxing ring I don't see any soft side to him. When you get pounded like he did against Wink and Vernon and take rematches right away you are not a sucker. If you saw the second Forrest fight he did everything he could to take it to forrest, but it wasn't enough. Mosley will mix it up. You gotta admit that whether you like him or not.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I agree what you wrote below. Also Mosley is past his prime for sure when Cotto isnt at his best just yet. Zab did hurt Cotto but Zab hits harder then Shane Mosley. My pick will also be Cotto late.Unless Shane avoids the bombs and he will lose a decision.

I want to see Cotto vs Mayweather or Cotto vs Hattton.
You say Cotto is not at his best yet. I disagree with that. How much better will Cotto get? He is basically a brawler who imposes his will on everybody. There is not much technique with Cotto. Those fighters eventually get outclassed when they face the highest level of competition (Trinidad). There is no way he will be able to sustain and dominate long term. I don't think it is impossible he will beat Mosley (I am leaning 60 -40 Mosley), but I do think this is as good as Cotto gets. I think there are good matchups for Cotto like Mayweather and Kermit Cintron and bad matchups like Paul Williams and Mosley. I am more of a Cotto fan than Mosley by the way. You gotta love Cotto.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I agree with some of the things you say, but judah being better than mosley come on. Same hand speed/punching power, Mosley is much better technically (have you ever seen zab's father in the corner) and a great chin. I personally have questions regarding Mosley's sexual preference, but in the boxing ring I don't see any soft side to him. When you get pounded like he did against Wink and Vernon and take rematches right away you are not a sucker. If you saw the second Forrest fight he did everything he could to take it to forrest, but it wasn't enough. Mosley will mix it up. You gotta admit that whether you like him or not.

Mosley's sexual preference? I never heard that one before. What makes you think this is an issue?

Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Mosley's sexual preference? I never heard that one before. What makes you think this is an issue?
It is not an issue I don't have a problem with that stuff, but he comes off as somebody that goes the other way. I personally don't care thats his business. I guess you don't see it maybe it's just me.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
It is not an issue I don't have a problem with that stuff, but he comes off as somebody that goes the other way. I personally don't care thats his business. I guess you don't see it maybe it's just me.
I don't have a problem with it either, or with you making the observation. Maybe he does, I don't know. I doubt it though.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:17 PM

OK I was wrong it wasn't one of the greatest fights ever, but it was electric at times. I had Cotto winiing barely 115 - 113. I have to admit for someone that appears to have no handspeed Cotto always seems to get the best of his opponents in exchanges. I don't know how he does it. That guy is a beast and for his hard work he is sitting on a major payday during the first half of next year with Oscar/Floyd or Hatton. I would love to see him face Oscar personally because I think Oscar will always have a bad taste in his mouth from the Trinidad fight and I think Oscar would mix it up with him to redeem some of that cred he lost before he walks away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing