U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Money vs Pacman
Yes 6 33.33%
No 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,712,488 times

Advertisements

Mayweather did look extremely sharp in the Canelo fight

I wasnt impressed on Pacquiao's performance against Rios, everybody was expecting a knockout. The footwork and lateral movements that Pacquiao was using seem too slow against Mayweather's jab and straight
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,553,655 times
Default Maybe

Pacman cannot beat Floyd Mayweather. He never could. He knew this, and so did Floyd. Floyd knew that the only way that Pacman could have a chance is if he was cheating. He was very careful about it with Pacman, and the fight never happened because Pacman didn't want it. Again, Pacman never had the ability to beat Floyd. Ludicrous that he was asking for a 50/50 split with a fighter who is undefeated. Incredible lunacy characterized Pacman's negotiation stance.

Now, apparently Pacman needs money, so he may be desperate enough and foolish enough to try to make this fight. His problem is that Floyd doesn't need him. He can continue to pick his opponents in his current deal, guaranteed money.

Maybe Pacman can step in the ring with someone like Adrien Broner, prove that he is worthy. If he beats Broner, and maybe accepts less of a cut to fight Floyd, along with the safeguards to make sure he's not cheating, the fight will happen. Floyd is an undefeated fighter, and deserves more respect than Pacman gave him in negotiations. Now Pacman is damaged goods, diminished. It would be a one-sided fight. Pacman was knocked cold and suffered a concussion. It wouldn't take much to give him another one a la Roy Jones, Jr. He can't outbox Floyd. He's not as fast, and he takes too many shots.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:22 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,071,123 times
Default attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Could you post the link here so that i could read it?
Predicting How Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Would Play out Round-by-Round | Bleacher Report

Old 11-30-2013, 04:28 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,047,088 times
Looks like wants Bradley again.

At this point? It's still possible, but I reckon Mayweather will only try to go 50-0, so Manny better hurry up.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,071,123 times
Default good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Pacman cannot beat Floyd Mayweather. He never could. He knew this, and so did Floyd. Floyd knew that the only way that Pacman could have a chance is if he was cheating. He was very careful about it with Pacman, and the fight never happened because Pacman didn't want it. Again, Pacman never had the ability to beat Floyd. Ludicrous that he was asking for a 50/50 split with a fighter who is undefeated. Incredible lunacy characterized Pacman's negotiation stance.

Now, apparently Pacman needs money, so he may be desperate enough and foolish enough to try to make this fight. His problem is that Floyd doesn't need him. He can continue to pick his opponents in his current deal, guaranteed money.

Maybe Pacman can step in the ring with someone like Adrien Broner, prove that he is worthy. If he beats Broner, and maybe accepts less of a cut to fight Floyd, along with the safeguards to make sure he's not cheating, the fight will happen. Floyd is an undefeated fighter, and deserves more respect than Pacman gave him in negotiations. Now Pacman is damaged goods, diminished. It would be a one-sided fight. Pacman was knocked cold and suffered a concussion. It wouldn't take much to give him another one a la Roy Jones, Jr. He can't outbox Floyd. He's not as fast, and he takes too many shots.
You made some good points that I do see but I don't agree. For example, I also think Mayweather was avoiding Pacman because of steroids, and at the same time, because Pacman threw punches in bunches, Pacman was fast enough to catch him and crazy enough to walk through punches. Now, those 3 strengths have subsided. Watch, now Mayweather will suddenly accept the fight.

I love your idea of a Broner fight. Right now, to me Broner is in bad standing, more so than Floyd. Broner talks but fights carefully selected opponents(a Mayweather atttribute). Broner is copy cat will less skills. I would love for Pacman to beat him to a pulp.

Also, I am finally agreeing that Pacman cannot beat Mayweather. First because Pacman's skills have subsided to the point now that Pacman will NOT be willing to go for a knockout(only box)...which now hurts Pacman's strategy...outboxing Mayweather is not "EVER" going to happen. To beat Mayweather, a boxer must out muscle him and throw bombs all fight (either or). Now, Pacman cannot do both...unless he's on the juice again.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 PM

519 posts, read 536,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Looks like wants Bradley again.

At this point that's the best fight for Pacquiao especially since JMM apparently has no interest in a 5th fight. Because of the way Pacquiao-Bradley I went down, a rematch could definitely sell well.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 AM

326 posts, read 484,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
At this point that's the best fight for Pacquiao especially since JMM apparently has no interest in a 5th fight. Because of the way Pacquiao-Bradley I went down, a rematch could definitely sell well.
You better believe I would buy that fight. I'm usually not one to claim a fighter got robbed because I know that things can generally go either way and it's probably pretty tough trying to accurately score a fight. With that said though, every major news organization had Pacquiao winning by a mile. I want to see Pacquaio get his belts back and then we can talk about a unification bout against Floyd.

I just hope Top Rank can get it together with some better undercards like Golden Boy has been giving us lately.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM

9,411 posts, read 18,956,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

Tell us which opponent of Floyd's was anywhere in the class of Pacquiao? A shot Cotto who gave him a good fight? Ortiz who he sucker punched? Guerrero the B-rated one dimensional fighter who went the distance? A faded Mosley and DeLaHoya who went the distance? Floyd looks good against faded or less talented fighters he handpicks at strategic points in their fading careers. Back in 2008 he had a prime Manny, Cotto, Margartio chasing him and he chose to "retire" rather than be forced to fight any one of them. He waited until they all fought one another and aged before coming back.

Now he's suddenly BFFs with Broner so neither of them will fight the other even though they aren't really all that close. Talk about BS. He likely won't fight Danny Garcia, he's avoided Martinez who offered to come down to 150 and accept an 80/20 split. He's made more excuses for ducking opponents than any fighter I know. If Manny was such an easy opponent he would have fought him already instead of making up steroid accusations and demanding much bigger purse splits. Obviously he sees something in Manny that concerns him. His ego won't allow him to lay it on the line. Meanwhile he's entertaining a fight with Amir Khan who will need to come up in weight and has proven he has a glass jaw. Back in 2006 he refused to fight Mosley citing his 3 losses as a reason he wouldn't fight him, and the took a fight with Baldomir who had 9 losses.

Manny is fighter of the decade for the 2000's, held titles in eight weight classes, yet somehow he is 'irrelevant'? Anyone who truly believes that is either a Manny hater or needs to switch to unleaded paint chips.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,047,088 times
Manny Pacquiao Given Terms for Floyd Mayweather Fight

Khan, Pacquiao or Bradley: Mayweather Set to Name Next Opponent - International Business Times UK

Pacquiao vs Rios: Dominant Win Proves Pac-Man Is Still Among World's Best | Bleacher Report

Mayweather don't want none of that.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 PM

519 posts, read 536,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
A shot Cotto who gave him a good fight?
More of your same tired rhetoric. If Cotto was shot against Mayweather, he was shot against Pacquiao. Cotto was in a 'good fight' that he lost 117-111, 117-111 and 118-110...

Quote:
Ortiz who he sucker punched?
Poor attempt at revisionism. The fact (I know you don't like those) of the matter is that it was a legal, knockout win. "Protect yourselves at all times", Ortiz didn't, he got knocked out. End of story.

Quote:
Guerrero the B-rated one dimensional fighter who went the distance?
Rios the B-rated one dimensional fighter who went the distance? Oh wait, never mind.

Quote:
A faded Mosley and DeLaHoya who went the distance?
They were more faded when Manny fought them. Mosley knocked Manny down and de la Hoya was weight drained to the point that he looked like he should've been on The Walking Dead instead of in a boxing ring. Of course, NOBODY was saying Mosley was faded coming off of knockout wins over Mayorga and Margarito, nice attempt at revisionism again though.

Quote:
Manny looks good against faded or less talented fighters he handpicks at strategic points in their fading careers.
FTFY.

Quote:
Now he's suddenly BFFs with Broner so neither of them will fight the other even though they aren't really all that close. Talk about BS.
While you apparently are an authority on BS, how the hell do you know how close they are or aren't? Who cares about Adrien Broner anyway? I'd say there's a better than average chance that he gets handled by Maidana which would make him irrelevant for the time being.

Quote:
He likely won't fight Danny Garcia, he's avoided Martinez who offered to come down to 150 and accept an 80/20 split.
It wouldn't surprise me if he winds up squaring off against Danny Garcia. It's obvious that Showtime is trying to set that up for down the road. If and when that fight gets made, the funny thing will be to see Coolhand suddenly switch gears and try to make Garcia out to be bum . Let's not forget that Sergio called Pacquiao out and offered to come down to 150. Manny, of course, pased. Why don't you EVER call your boy out for that?

Quote:
Meanwhile he's entertaining a fight with Amir Khan who will need to come up in weight and has proven he has a glass jaw.
Didn't Brandon Rios just have to come up in weight? Yeah, thought so.

Quote:
Back in 2006 he refused to fight Mosley citing his 3 losses as a reason he wouldn't fight him, and the took a fight with Baldomir who had 9 losses.
It doesn't even how many losses Baldomir had at the time, he was a legitimate champion holding the WBC and Ring magazine welterweight titles. Mosley didn't want to fight in November 2006, he wanted to go on vacation. It's also interesting that after Mayweather beat him, that Mosley wanted to fight Baldomir, but HBO wouldn't buy that fight.

Quote:
Manny is fighter of the decade for the 2000's, held titles in eight weight classes, yet somehow he is 'irrelevant'? Anyone who truly believes that is either a Manny hater or needs to switch to unleaded paint chips.
Irrelevant or not. The fact remains the same: Manny needs Floyd far more than Floyd needs Manny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing