Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 02:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,656 times

Advertisements

I know people look at Kirkland and say he's hittable, which is true, but they cannot deny his fortitude.

The guy is a monster. Granted, he's shown chin issues in the past by being blasted out early by Ishida, and knocked down by Angulo, but he's also shown that if he can manage to get out of the first round, the shots that bothered him early don't affect him later on after he's warmed up.

While, he wasn't able to continue in the Ishida fight, he managed to get up and beat Angulo down at his OWN game, which is incredible because Angulo is a very tough fighter, especially if you elect to brawl it out with him.

James also has shown an exceptional body attack, as he slowly wears his opponents down, and takes away their legs, before beating them into submission.

I know his style doesn't get a lot of props, but he does have good punch variety and subtle skills, but his lack of height and big body, tend to make him a more available target when his opponent is fresh.

Mayweather would have to work every second of every round against this type of opponent unless he manages to knock Kirkland out early. Considering, that's not Mayweather's style, and it's a massive risk considering Mayweather is not known is a huge puncher, it is unlikely that this would happen which COULD allow Kirkland to gain momentum and wear Floyd down into submission.

Floyd would have to employ a strategy of non-stop movement and expect Kirkland to be undeterred by even the most accurate shots, and to progressively come foward and bang Mayweather to the body.

At 37, I'd say this is too risky a fight for Mayweather and it's not necessary for him to take this fight, but if any fighter has a chance to beat Mayweather, it's Kirkland.

Granted, many will say Lara, but Angulo showed that if you decrease the ring size a bit, Lara's boxing is not as good as ability to use his feet to get away a larger ring.

I think Mayweather would beat Lara in a very boring fight where Lara is reluctant to engage.

Kirkland vs Mayweather would be fireworks unless of course Mayweather somehow manages to never allow Kirkland to get close, which is always a possibility because Mayweather continues to surprise me.

Anyway, I believe this fight is better than one against Amir Khan. I'd say neither fighter has earned a fight though.

Obviously the fight that should be made is Pac vs Mayweather, but it's unlikely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:30 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
It is an interesting matchup. On paper and observing Kirkland's style not many would give him a chance. However, given his aggressive style I think he stands a punchers chance of beating Floyd. All depends on which version of Kirkland gets in the ring. If he is in prime condition and keeps pressure on him it is a long night for Floyd. Floyd can certainly outbox him, but he will be forced to work harder than in previous fights with opponents who sat back and fought his fight.

In order to beat Floyd you need speed and constant pressure. Power is always a plus. As for Lara, he could possibly give Floyd a tough fit and they would both benefit from a large ring since they both like to move and use footwork, but that would be one boring ass fight. They better give out Red Bull and coffee which each ticket sold.

Mayweather Sr has just proclaimed Pacquiao isn't worthy of a shot despite being the number one ranked contender and a thrashing of Rios. Khan's narrow victory over Julio Diaz was apparently more significant than Manny's beat down of Rios. No shortage of excuses from the Mayweather camp. So add Kirkland to the ever growing list of fighters who Floyd will never fight.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr: Money Reveals Next Opponent; Reason For Dodging Pacman?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
This fight isn't going to happen but it would be interesting. Kirkland keeps constant forward pressure and has a lot of power. Mayweather would have to be constantly on the move because he would not win if it turned into a brawl.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,462 times
Kirkland throws bombs all day and is relentless. there is no way this fight would happen...too risky for Mayweather...but, if Mayweather were to take this fight, it would erase all complaints about him(For me, at least).

Old 12-13-2013, 11:21 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,045 times
ehhh I see it diffrently, Kirkland throws a lot of wild punches, and misses a lot of shots trying to get the KO, Floyd would relentlessly punish him for that-

Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
ehhh I see it diffrently, Kirkland throws a lot of wild punches, and misses a lot of shots trying to get the KO, Floyd would relentlessly punish him for that-
I think Kirkland would get punished regardless, but Floyd can't even give Kirkland the opportunity to throw that many punches because that would mean Kirkland is close enough to hit Floyd, and considering Kirkland is an inside fighter, that's too close for comfort.

Also, Kirkland mixes those shots up to the body, and those types of punches can really wear an opponent out, which is not the best type of fight for a 37 year old fighter.

However, if Mayweather can manage to stay away from Kirkland for 12 rounds, he will easily win the fight. The difference between Kirkland and most of Mayweather's opponents is Kirkland will keep coming even if you hit him with everything you got.

Then again, it could end up like his Ricky Hatton fight, but Ricky had faster footspeed.

But what Kirkland lacks in footspeed, he may more than make up for in size, strength, power, and ability to take punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing