U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:41 PM

592 posts, read 713,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
First of all, these were the same gloves Maidana has used in several of his other fights previously approved in Las Vegas. For another, an Everlast rep stated that Maidana's blue gloves are the same exact model as the red ones that were approved for him to fight with. This was just more of Floyd's cowardly games, looking to get every edge possible.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgG-DPb9yXw

As for dirty tactics, Floyd does plenty of his own in fights, shoving his forearms and elbows into opponents faces, hitting after the bell, constant clinching when pressured. He then had the nerve to cry to the ref every round.

As to strategy, did you really think there was going to be one? Like I said from the start, he is a B rate brawler who slugs and mugs his way forward and he exposed Floyd.

Aren't you the guy who said you scored it 115-1112? I can't take you serious. What did you think about that elbow shot I pointed out in the video for you? Did you score blows like that as a punch? The fight should have been scored 115-13 Floyd....but it's in the books now oh well
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 AM

833 posts, read 1,040,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I think Floyd got licked, and I am a fan of the man.

The punch stats I have seen are absolutely crazy...Floyd just did not throw enough punches to be the winner of that fight. Period.

Even if you go by the theory that the rounds were tough to score due to the roughhouse nature of Maidana's work against the ropes, the margin by which Floyd "won" on the two judges scorecards tells me that the fix was in and they are not quite ready to let go of the cash cow.

I agree Floyd will make some adjustments and win the next one easily. I will never forget the look of fear on Mayweather's face in the corner after the fourth. Hats off to both men for hanging in there in a brutal fight. One of the best I can remember.
You are no Mayweather fan. He didn't throw enough to win? It matters how many land, and what percentage land. By your theory, I can go in the ring with anyone, throw punches in the air and win. Mayweather landed 230 of 426 punches to 221 of 858 for Maidana. Mayweather landed more punches, and threw 50% less. Are you kidding me? It's quite clear how he won.

Maidana is nothing but a thug. He should join the UFC if he want's to fight dirty like that. Floyd said BEFORE the fight he was going to stand and fight unlike before. That's what he did, and all of a sudden everyone thinks Floyd is losing it. Think again if you want a rematch. Floyd will pick this thug apart like a surgeon. And to all you Americans going against an American fighter - get out of here with that crap. At least pick a decent guy instead of a well known gangbanging thug.

I'll end this the right way. 46 have tried 46 have come up short. Period.

Last edited by mrazyattic; 05-14-2014 at 01:58 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 AM

27 posts, read 33,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
You are no Mayweather fan. He didn't throw enough to win? It matters how many land, and what percentage land. By your theory, I can go in the ring with anyone, throw punches in the air and win. Mayweather landed 230 of 426 punches to 221 of 858 for Maidana. Mayweather landed more punches, and threw 50% less. Are you kidding me? It's quite clear how he won.

Maidana is nothing but a thug. He should join the UFC if he want's to fight dirty like that. Floyd said BEFORE the fight he was going to stand and fight unlike before. That's what he did, and all of a sudden everyone thinks Floyd is losing it. Think again if you want a rematch. Floyd will pick this thug apart like a surgeon. And to all you Americans going against an American fighter - get out of here with that crap. At least pick a decent guy instead of a well known gangbanging thug.

Boxing is scored on a round by round basis, doesn't matter what the final punch stats are. There were plenty of swing rounds that could have went either way. Fight was very close and either fighter could have gotten the nod 115-113.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM

9,411 posts, read 18,855,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Aren't you the guy who said you scored it 115-1112? I can't take you serious. What did you think about that elbow shot I pointed out in the video for you? Did you score blows like that as a punch? The fight should have been scored 115-13 Floyd....but it's in the books now oh well
I don't take fanboys such as yourself seriously either. They both fought dirty, difference is Maidana didn't cry like a baby every time. Did you score all of Floyd's forearms as punches?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post

So he isn't a Floyd fan because he is being objective and unbiased? He must praise Floyd at all costs in order I be a fan? That sounds typical of his fans.

Punch stat numbers don't tell the whole story. A fighter can land 200 punches the entire 12 round fit, but if 150 of those punches are landed in three rounds, there are still nine more rounds to score with only what, five punches landed per each if those rounds? Punches landed is not the only basis for scoring a fight. Judges also look at ring generalship, who landed the harder punches, not just more accurate. They look at who was the aggressor as well.

If Floyd was capable of picking apart Maidana so easily, we wouldn't be having this discussion he only chose Maidana because he thought te same as you, Maidana was just a slow, lumbering brawler who he could pot shot all night like when he chose Guerrero and Ortiz. Floyd doesn't like pressure and I have my doubts that he will even grant a rematch. His "0" and his ego are way more important to him.

You speak of Maidana as a thug. Should I remind you it was Floyd to went to jail for beating his baby-mama in front if his kids...yeah, he's a real man. He cried like a little b***h in jail after only a couple of weeks looking for special treatment. He also assaulted his own security guards and has had multiple scrapes with the law in the past. His father and uncle are convicted drug dealers and substance abusers. The company he keeps is every bit as sketchy. So who is the thug now?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I don't take fanboys such as yourself seriously either. They both fought dirty, difference is Maidana didn't cry like a baby every time. Did you score all of Floyd's forearms as punches?
No I didn't. But what I did count were clean punches...and that's where Floyd won. And yeah he used forearms to get space, and yeah, he held more than usual...but that's a given considering a guy with 18 plus pound weight advantage is coming at you with nut shots, rabbit punches, low blows, tackling, headbutts, etc...

You're right, it was a dirty fight overall, but who made it that way?

The bottomline is this: Floyd said he would fight this one different and he did. He fought Maidana's fight and won. You can argue all you want, but those are the facts.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
So he isn't a Floyd fan because he is being objective and unbiased? He must praise Floyd at all costs in order I be a fan? That sounds typical of his fans.

Punch stat numbers don't tell the whole story. A fighter can land 200 punches the entire 12 round fit, but if 150 of those punches are landed in three rounds, there are still nine more rounds to score with only what, five punches landed per each if those rounds? Punches landed is not the only basis for scoring a fight. Judges also look at ring generalship, who landed the harder punches, not just more accurate. They look at who was the aggressor as well.

If Floyd was capable of picking apart Maidana so easily, we wouldn't be having this discussion he only chose Maidana because he thought te same as you, Maidana was just a slow, lumbering brawler who he could pot shot all night like when he chose Guerrero and Ortiz. Floyd doesn't like pressure and I have my doubts that he will even grant a rematch. His "0" and his ego are way more important to him.

You speak of Maidana as a thug. Should I remind you it was Floyd to went to jail for beating his baby-mama in front if his kids...yeah, he's a real man. He cried like a little b***h in jail after only a couple of weeks looking for special treatment. He also assaulted his own security guards and has had multiple scrapes with the law in the past. His father and uncle are convicted drug dealers and substance abusers. The company he keeps is every bit as sketchy. So who is the thug now?

Those are facts and I can't argue with facts. Floyd is no angel by any means...but be real, there's a difference between being a black thug and any other "thug".. On multiple occasions, it's been mentioned how Maidana came from a "rough background" including gang activity. But he's never called a thug. Robert Guerrero was caught with a gun in JFK airport, but was never called a thug. When people hear the word thug, they really hear "black"..

Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM

162 posts, read 160,111 times
I watched it again and still have Maidana ahead at 116-112. Oscar was right, Floyd should be 43-3, but corruption, politics and marketing goes a long way.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM

519 posts, read 533,036 times
Not that it'll change anyone's opinion, but of 112 people scoring the fight from press row, 92 (82%) had Floyd winning with 11 (10%) scoring it a draw and 9 (8%) giving the nod to Chino.

18 per cent of boxing media disagree with Floyd Mayweather getting the decision over Marcos Maidana | Latest | Boxing News - boxing news, results, rankings, schedules since 1909

While Burt Clements' card was probably a little wider than it should've been, I don't see anything overtly corrupt about the decision.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Those are facts and I can't argue with facts. Floyd is no angel by any means...but be real, there's a difference between being a black thug and any other "thug".. On multiple occasions, it's been mentioned how Maidana came from a "rough background" including gang activity. But he's never called a thug. Robert Guerrero was caught with a gun in JFK airport, but was never called a thug. When people hear the word thug, they really hear "black"..
What does that have to do with anything? Mrazyattic brought "thug" into the discussion, branding Maidana as such for his alleged gang affiliations. Yet he conveniently lets Floyd & family off the hook for all their trouble with the law and thuggish behavior. This isn't a sociology class, we aren't discussing race or perceived racism, but if you want to go there, Floyd is guilty of racism too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing