Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM

326 posts, read 529,146 times

Advertisements

Alright, this may sound crazy but I think Pacquaio should take on the winner of Cotto/Martinez for his next fight in November at middleweight or a catchweight.

I'm guessing Pacquaio has never weighed over 155 lbs a day in his life but I think both of these potential matchups could be very winnable for Pacquaio and would give him a chance to vie for a record 9 titles in 9 different weight classes.

For Sergio Martinez, he is almost 40 now and has been showing signs of slipping. Martinez tends to fight off balance and most of his knockdowns have come from being caught while throwing a punch off balance. That's not to say this would be an easy fight for Pacquaio. Martinez has a 6" height advantage, a 3" reach advantage, and is a steep test for any middleweight out there right now. Both Bob Arum and Marvilla's promoter have expressed an interest over the past couple of weeks in making this fight happen.

For Cotto, it has built in marketability because Pacquaio has already stopped Cotto once before in 2009. This could give Cotto a chance to redeem himself and fight Pacquaio at his natural weight class. The biggest snag in making this fight happen is that they are both trained by Freddie Roach and are friends now. Not to mention that I think Cotto would prefer a rematch with Mayweather.

I think both matchups are very intruiging and personally, I would be far more willing to shell out cash for this over Pac/JMM 5,6,7.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
Gosh no. Neither of those fights makes any sense.

Pacquiao already annhiliated Cotto back when Cotto wasn't shot.

Martinez is way bigger than Pacquiao and fights at 160. Doesn't he have someone in his own weight class he should fight first ... GGG anyone?

Pacquiao is not a middleweight, heck he's not even really a welterweight. Guy weighs in at 144-145 pounds without cutting, 150 on fight night. He could easily go to Super Lightweight.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Not a good move in my opinion. I know a title in a 9th weight class is appealing, but it's hardly necessary, and he isn't going to stick around at middleweight to defend the title anyway. I would really like to see Manny go to 140 and fight Danny Garcia. That is the fight to make. Garcia is a good boxer, undefeated and young. It would be a great fight. Otherwise, I would like to see him chop up Khan and hopefully get a shot at the Mayweather/Maidana winner if there is even going to be a rematch. Manny needs to forget these bigger fighters at middleweight and make the best fights he can at 140 or 147. I don't mind seeing him in a last rematch with Marquez, but I'm not jazzed about a fight with Alvarado. Hopefully Arum and DeLaHoya can get something going if Schaeffer doesn't interfere. Plenty of good fights to be made.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Garcia said he's moving to 147 as it's getting to hard too make 140 any longer.

Quote:
Hopefully Arum and DeLaHoya can get something going if Schaeffer doesn't interfere. Plenty of good fights to be made.
About 5 years too late for Pac-Floyd in their primes, but I'll take what I can get.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Yeah I think Garcia has one more bout at 140 then he goes to 147. Either way I would like to see Manny fight him.

The Manny/Floyd fight has passed it's expiration date. I'd still want to see it, but it has lost it's luster for me at this point with each of them starting to pass their prime.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Let's get real though, Martinez is a natural 154 pounder and the guy is almost 40.

Isn't there any intruige at all for how a fight like this would turn out? 2 guys with killer speed, and killer straight lefts?

I know ODH and Arum have been talking about matching Pac with Canelo lately. This fight would do huge numbers but honestly I would give Pac a much better chance against Cotto or Martinez than to put him in with Canelo.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 PM

592 posts, read 802,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Let's get real though, Martinez is a natural 154 pounder and the guy is almost 40.

Isn't there any intruige at all for how a fight like this would turn out? 2 guys with killer speed, and killer straight lefts?

I know ODH and Arum have been talking about matching Pac with Canelo lately. This fight would do huge numbers but honestly I would give Pac a much better chance against Cotto or Martinez than to put him in with Canelo.

Pacman fighting a middleweight is not intriguing at all. Neither is another match with Marquez,a fight with alvarado or any Top Rank welterweights. Pac-Canelo would be interesting, but unlikely due to TR-Goldenboy beef.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
Pacman fighting a middleweight is not intriguing at all. Neither is another match with Marquez,a fight with alvarado or any Top Rank welterweights. Pac-Canelo would be interesting, but unlikely due to TR-Goldenboy beef.
You following the ODH/Schaeffer beaf? Looks like for the first time in about 10 years we are about to see some progress with the cold war. ODH visited Arum a week ago for the express purpose of setting up a fight like this. He mentioned a Pac/Canelo fight by name.

Martinez never hydrates much above 160 lbs though. Canelo's last fight he rehydrated to 170. I'd give Pac a way better chance against Marvilla.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Dude, no one has any interest in seeing Pac fight middleweights. It would be a complete waste of time when Sergio could be fighting guys like Golovkin, Peter Quillin, or even Andre Ward who doesn't struggle to make 168. There are so many better fights for either fighter in their own weight class.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 PM

592 posts, read 802,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
You following the ODH/Schaeffer beaf? Looks like for the first time in about 10 years we are about to see some progress with the cold war. ODH visited Arum a week ago for the express purpose of setting up a fight like this. He mentioned a Pac/Canelo fight by name.

Martinez never hydrates much above 160 lbs though. Canelo's last fight he rehydrated to 170. I'd give Pac a way better chance against Marvilla.

I heard about that, but I don't have much faith in things getting much better. There is plenty of talent near 147 for Pacman not to move up to fight middleweights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing