U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM

519 posts, read 532,916 times

Advertisements

While I can appreciate the technical approach of the Klitschko brothers, it was good to see a couple of big men get into a small ring and bang especially after all of the trash talking leading up to the fight. Arreola looked better than he has perhaps ever, but it wasn't enough to win the WBC heavyweight championship that Vitali vacated. Instead, Stiverne snatched the belt with an impressive 6th round knockout. It wasn't a virtuoso performance by any means, but was entertaining nonetheless. Stiverne started out strong buzzing Arreola towards the end of the first round and then his activity level oddly dropped as he decided to give away rounds. Arreola gladly took them by starting to jab and put combinations together though Stiverne got in some nice counter shots here and there. Then that sixth round came and Arreola put a lazy left out there and Stiverne came over the top just like in their first fight and caught Arreola right on the temple. Rubber legs, canvas, beginning of the end.

It was just good to see a competitive heavyweight fight instead of a situation where one guy is so overmatched that he's just trying to survive instead of trying to win. Stiverne by all rights should get a shot at Wlad, but might have to go through Deontay Wilder in order to get that shot. He's only 6'2 and eats a few too many shots imo, but he's got a solid beard, quick hands and pretty nice pop in both. If he does get the fight against Wlad, that reach and straight right will be tough for him to overcome, but Wlad's chin has been suspect in the past. If Stiverne could get to it things could get interesting in the heavyweight division for the first time in a long time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 AM

7,542 posts, read 9,003,364 times
Stiverne will fight whoever offers the most money- almost undoubtably Klitschko, who wants to unify the title.

As far as boxing organization ratings, that's just not very important as the real issue is the money.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 AM

326 posts, read 482,113 times
I want to see Deontay Wilder take a shot at this before we go straight to unifying titles.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:44 PM

592 posts, read 713,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
I want to see Deontay Wilder take a shot at this before we go straight to unifying titles.

So do I...and Wilder is the mandatory to the WBC title.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,563,877 times
I have a feeling that Wilder gets KO'd by Stiverne.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM

4,178 posts, read 3,068,979 times
Stiverne is good for the division. He has power, a good chin, and fast hands. Yet he is always overweight, lacks defense, and is ponderous of foot.

In other he could beat anyone or be beaten by anyone on a given day.

Wlad will probably jab and grab his way to a win. I say Deontay gets starched.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 PM

519 posts, read 532,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
I have a feeling that Wilder gets KO'd by Stiverne.
That wouldn't surprise me. An isolated incident, but seeing him on YouTube get knocked down by some bum named Harold Sconiers makes me wonder how he's gonna react when he gets hit by someone who can really punch like Stiverne. Wilder is a long lean guy with thin legs. He doesn't have that solid base that leads me to believe that he can stand up to sustained punishment. He is pretty effective though when he can consistently get off first without too much return fire.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,563,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
That wouldn't surprise me. An isolated incident, but seeing him on YouTube get knocked down by some bum named Harold Sconiers makes me wonder how he's gonna react when he gets hit by someone who can really punch like Stiverne. Wilder is a long lean guy with thin legs. He doesn't have that solid base that leads me to believe that he can stand up to sustained punishment. He is pretty effective though when he can consistently get off first without too much return fire.
Agreed.

Wilder, if you let him get off, is hard to beat. I just see Stiverne being able to handle Wilder defensively, and being able to drag Wilder into deeper waters and crack him mentally. Wilder has never seemed like a very mentally tough guy. I mean just recently he got into a real fight with a guy who was trolling him on Facebook. No joke, it was video taped and posted on youtube.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,686,060 times
Poor Arreola man. He was going to be the first fighter of Mexican descent to be world champion. If he would have won his assets would skyrocket and he would have gotten tens of thousands of fans. An opportunity missed.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:59 AM

27 posts, read 33,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Poor Arreola man. He was going to be the first fighter of Mexican descent to be world champion. If he would have won his assets would skyrocket and he would have gotten tens of thousands of fans. An opportunity missed.
He has had many of opportunity. His ship had sailed long before Saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing