Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times

Advertisements

This could be a very interesting fight. As much as I love Hopkins, I don't know if anyone can get by Kovalev. I didn't think Kovalev would be able to beat Ishmail Sallakh but he crushed him in 2 rounds.

Bernard Hopkins To Fight Sergey Kovalev Provided ?Krusher? Wins On Saturday | BoxingInsider.com

I would love to see Hopkins beat him though just to add to his HOF legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:02 AM

326 posts, read 529,322 times
Yeah. I had BHop beating Stevenson but this is a whole different story. Tough call.

What an amazing accomplishment though that a 50 year old man would be fighting the toughest challenge available(and one of the most avoided punchers in the sport) to fight for his THIRD title.

On a side note, LOL at Stevenson ducking Kov then dragging his feet at a Hopkins unification bout.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Kovalev hasn't really impressed me much outside of his punching power. His skills are limited and he hasn't fought a top tier opponent yet. Of course there aren't many top tier opponents at 175, but he still looks stiff and limited to me. Hopkins sees his and smells blood.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM

The way to beat Hopkins is constant pressure. Take him out of his comfort zone and push him beyond his limits. That means a high volume of punches and working his body. Make him work hard in the early rounds and drain him. That's what Calzaghe did. You can't allow Hopkins to dictate the pace.

Kovalev is a hard puncher but his defense is suspect and he still fights stiff. He is not very good at cutting off he ring which is what he will need to do against Hopkins. He will need to throw about 70 or more punches per round and not let up.

If he does apply pressure and push Hopkins to his limits Bernard will resort to his dirty tactics and try looking for help from the ref. I'm not a fan of Hopkins but he is a very smart fighter and knows how to exploit weaknesses and use every possible advantage. After his rematch with Roy Jones and his theatrics in the ring I lost interest in his fights.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,374 times
It'll be a dreadfully dull fight, like all Hopkins fight, with a majority decision win for the old man.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Kovalev hasn't really impressed me much outside of his punching power. His skills are limited and he hasn't fought a top tier opponent yet. Of course there aren't many top tier opponents at 175, but he still looks stiff and limited to me. Hopkins sees his and smells blood.
His skills aren't limted, he just hasn't had an opportunity to display them because he is destroying people in the first two rounds. His punching power is not normal, sort of like GGG. I really think he is going to hurt Hopkins badly. Hopkins is a legend, but his age is going to catch up with him eventually.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM

352 posts, read 324,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
His skills aren't limted, he just hasn't had an opportunity to display them because he is destroying people in the first two rounds. His punching power is not normal, sort of like GGG. I really think he is going to hurt Hopkins badly. Hopkins is a legend, but his age is going to catch up with him eventually.
I agree. Kovalev just seems like a steamroller right now, but we'll see how he deals with the dirty tactics of B-Hop. Much respect to the old man, especially after knocking down Shumenov, but I think Kovalev will be too much for him to handle.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I'm no fan of Hopkins, in fact I think he is way overrated, dirty, and dull. However, he is a crafty veteran and a good boxer. Kovalev is a typical Euro-robot, who fights stiff and looks uncoordinated when pressed. I think Hopkins can find a way to stay on the outside, pot shot, and perhaps even find a way to keep Kovalev from steamrolling forward. I think this fight will resemble the Kelly Pavlik fight. Pavlik was another over hyped one dimensional fighter who threw a left jab and straight right hand with the occasional body shot. I would love to see Kovalev KO Hopkins and send his punk ass into retirement, but I'm not sure he has what it takes, but as with any fight he does have a punchers chance.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Quote:
I'm no fan of Hopkins, in fact I think he is way overrated, dirty, and dull. However, he is a crafty veteran and a good boxer. Kovalev is a typical Euro-robot, who fights stiff and looks uncoordinated when pressed. I think Hopkins can find a way to stay on the outside, pot shot, and perhaps even find a way to keep Kovalev from steamrolling forward. I think this fight will resemble the Kelly Pavlik fight. Pavlik was another over hyped one dimensional fighter who threw a left jab and straight right hand with the occasional body shot. I would love to see Kovalev KO Hopkins and send his punk ass into retirement, but I'm not sure he has what it takes, but as with any fight he does have a punchers chance.
I have heard others making this parallel, but Pavlik was a weight class down and does not have Kovalev's insane power. Also, Hopkins is quite a few years older now.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,061 times
Quote:
I agree with cachibatches. Kovalev has much more power than Pavlik ever had and Hopkins is older now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing