Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know which sports bars in the Greenville-Taylors-Greer area will be making this fight available to their patrons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endisnear21 View Post
This fight will never happen
It is happening like it or not. In 5 short weeks.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Floyd wins this fight

Pacman will bring the heat, but he is overmatched. It would appear that he has a puncher's chance, but he hasn't knocked anybody out in over 5 years. The last fighter he knocked out was Cotto, who at the time was greatly faded. Cotto takes a lot of punches, and has never been very mobile, so it was predictable that Pacman would be able to walk him down and punch him out. Before that, he knocked out a badly faded Hatton, another fighter who takes shots, and is not very mobile. Before that, he beat an old, depleted Oscar DLH. DLH was too slow and weak to fend off the advancing, rampaging Pacman, and lost in predictable fashion. DLH was a shell of his former self when he fought Pacman, seemingly just for the money.

Pacman sustained a severe concussion when Marquez knocked him out cold, and since that fight, he has chosen his opponents very carefully, avoiding the caliber of fighter who could hurt him. While he was fighting feather-punching fighters like Chris Algieri, Tim Bradley, and Brandon Rios, he avoided Amir Khan, Saul Alvarez, Marcos Maidana, Victor Ortiz, and Robert Guerrero, fighters who could potentially pose problems for him, maybe even give him another concussion. There was a report last year that doctors were concerned that Pacman was showing early signs of Parkinson's. I don't know if this was true or not, but anyone knows that once you sustain a concussion, the next one is easier to sustain, which is the reason Pacman avoided the heavy hitters.

Floyd, of course, is not a heavy hitter. He's not going to knock you out with one punch. He is going to hit you cleanly however, and often. Given Pacman propensity to take shots, lunge with his punches, take chances, and leave himself open in doing so, there is a high likelihood that he might get hurt. This won't happen however because Floyd is, above else a defensive fighter. He will not commit himself, thus leaving himself open for a powerful counter, maybe even one he doesn't see. So he will fight defensively, while Pacman lunges and tries to catch Floyd with unorthodox punches from unexpected angles. The problem for Pacman though is that Floyd is extremely difficult to tag with an unexpected punch, especially when he knows you have power. Shane Mosley hurt Floyd with a punch Floyd didn't expect, and it caught Floyd by surprise because he didn't respect Mosley's power initially. Floyd takes a good punch though, so he recovered then was never fooled again. I see Pacman giving Floyd more respect because of Pacman's vulnerabilities related to his concussion. He is not faster than Floyd. He can't outbox Floyd. Pacman's only chance is to put more pressure on Floyd than Maidana did. He's got to sustain a torrid pace for the duration of the fight. He can't telegraph his shots or Floyd will neutralize their effectiveness. It's not the first shot that will get Floyd, but the second or third shot. The first one or two shots are merely decoys to distract him, before unleashing the haymaker. Ray Robinson was good at doing this. I've never seen Pacman do it, but it takes this type of clever fighter to hurt Floyd. Duran was good at doing this too. In fact, Pacman should study Leonard-Duran I for this fight.

Finally, there is a common thread in all great black fighters like Floyd. It stems from where he came from. The victim of racial discrimination, seeing the devastating effects of it on his parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, friends, he has a level of rage that is matched by only a rare few around the world. Poverty, deprivation, violence, hardening ugliness, confrontation, disgrace, abuse, fear, competition among those with extreme athleticism and a vile nature. Roberto Duran had it for instance. Alexis Arguello had it. Great Mexican fighters have had it. I'm not sure if Pacman can match it. Ali, Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Jack Johnson, George Foreman - all had it. I have been trying to capture it musically, and I found this youtube video about Hunter's Point in San Francisco. The first 2 minutes of this video perfectly capture this mindset that Floyd brings to the intensity of his training and to his opponents. No fighter has been able to match it, and I don't think Pacman can overcome it. The only fighter who can beat Floyd is a fighter who comes from the the same place, from the same mindset as reflected here.

Sorry to make this so long, but this fight has already been fought...in my head. Just sharing my perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klN-nbeHd4U

Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Finally, there is a common thread in all great black fighters like Floyd. It stems from where he came from. The victim of racial discrimination, seeing the devastating effects of it on his parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, friends, he has a level of rage that is matched by only a rare few around the world.
This is going to have zero impact on the fight. Floyd Mayweather is not Jackie Robinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing