Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:53 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

I hope you come on this on May the 3rd and don't hid away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,004 times
Oh I'll be here on May 3, paulie ... gleefully serving crow to you and other (misguided) Pacquiao supporters.

Hell, Murray has a better chance to win at Roland Garros this year than Pacquiao has in this fight...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Nope. When you ask for random blood tests and someone comes up with the silliest contradicting excuses to not take them, shouldn't that raise question marks? Ok, just imagine it was the other way around and I am sure Floyd would get flamed all over the place. Manny didn't want to take random blood tests because he was afraid of needles (yet he has tattoos?), he was superstitious, a nurse might do it wrong and hurt him, he won't be able to prepare well for the fight, it is so unfair (but Floyd is taking it too!), blood makes him nervous (and he's in a blood sport?), etc. This is when all Manny fans remained quiet.

See, I also had my doubts as why this went as long as it did. It's not the first time Floyd does it. Remember all the time it took to make the fight vs Oscar? Many thought he was afraid, he was no good, and so on. And to be honest, I thought Oscar won that fight by a few points. Saw it close but I thought Floyd lost it. But that might be another thread.

I had my doubts about BOTH Manny and Floyd. Manny with his contradicting and shady excuses to not take random blood tests and Floyd not pushing more aggressively for this fight to make it happen. I see both sides being drama queens.

Coolhand68,
Yes, we might see that. Or maybe we might see Floyd take the loss just like Naseem Hamed took his when he was defeated by Marco Antonio Barrera. I thought Naz would act like a bad sport but he just didn't.

Now, how do you see Pac Fans reacting to Manny losing? I didn't see fans react as a good sport when he was KOed by Marquez. Look at any YouTube video showing that video and look at his fans' comments that go from "Manny lost on purpose to lure Floyd...it was fake...Marquez got lucky...Manny tripped..." to other fans saying Marquez should be tested extensively, which I find silly as many of Manny's fans objected to Manny being tested randomly, go figure.

Will this be an easy fight for Manny or Floyd, I don't think so. Still, its boxing, and one punch can change the outcome. Like I said before, if it ends with someone with their back on the mat, I'll say it would be Floyd laying on the mat. If it goes to the scorecards, I'll say Manny would be taken to school by Floyd who is a better all-around boxer. I was thinking about their punching power and it is not that far apart either. Its only like a 6% difference when it comes to finishing fights by KO if I remember correctly.
I honestly don't see the outcome of this fight resolving anything for fans of either fighter. If either of them wins by a very close margin, both sides will cry robbery. If one totally dominates the other, each side will say their guy was past his prime. Fact is, there are only a small minority of true boxing fans who can look at the fight objectively and be satisfied with the outcome. The other truth is, this fight is taking place with neither of them at their respective best, which makes for a completely different fight than what it would have been five years ago.

Floyd waiting to fight DLH was part of his M.O. Wait for a big name to age or wear down from tough fights, then defeat their name and not necessarily the fighter in his prime form. He has done this with a half dozen fighters. This was his reason for "retiring" when he did so he could avoid some prime and very dangerous opposition. Once they fought one another and knocked each other from the top of the rankings, he makes his comeback against Marquez who came up about three weight classes to fight him at a catch-weight, which Floyd did not make and had to pay a hefty fine. The version of Marquez that Floyd defeated was not the same version who was roided up and KO'd Manny. Not even close.

As for the drug testing, well, Manny never failed a drug test and the steroid allegations were never on anyone's radar until Floyd found an excuse to avoid him. I think Pacquiao knew that by giving in to this demand, which was not required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, he would be subject to more demands and probably didn't want to allow Floyd to dictate terms. There was also a lawsuit in which Floyd settled out of court to Manny for making those false allegations. Let's not forget, Floyd himself is not without suspicion when it comes to illegal substances. See this article by boxing writer Thomas Hauser for more about that Did Floyd Mayweather Fail Multiple Drug Tests? (And Other Riddles) - Queensberry Rules

No one knows who will win this, that's why the fight had to be made. Regardless, I don't think the winner of this fight will earn any new fans from the other fighter's fanbase, and life will go on for boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
The fact that Pretty Boy has WAY more to lose than Pacquiao is really all you need to know to predict the outcome of this fight.

People are delusional, in my view, if they think that an elite boxer like PB is gunna let some over-the-hill Filipino get the best of him at this point.

Ain't gunna happen

PB will be primed for a peak performance on May 2 ... and he will take no prisoners in that ring...
It's obvious you are basing your misguided opinions strictly on the basis of race rather than boxing intellect. Not surprising coming from a Mayweather fan.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Oh I'll be here on May 3, paulie ... gleefully serving crow to you and other (misguided) Pacquiao supporters.

Hell, Murray has a better chance to win at Roland Garros this year than Pacquiao has in this fight...
great look forard to it.

Does he! Well he must be a dead cert

Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 AM

519 posts, read 603,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I honestly don't see the outcome of this fight resolving anything for fans of either fighter.
Laying the groundwork already I see....

Quote:
The version of Marquez that Floyd defeated was not the same version who was roided up and KO'd Manny. Not even close.

As for the drug testing, well, Manny never failed a drug test and the steroid allegations were never on anyone's radar until Floyd found an excuse to avoid him.
And there's the hypocritical gibberish that makes you a non-stop source of comic relief. BTW How many drug tests has JMM failed?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 PM

145 posts, read 160,351 times
This is definitely the best thing to happen to boxing in 20 years. The thing is Coolhand brings up some pretty good points. Let's be real, Floyd isn't going to allow Manny to get a lot of clean shots in and regardless of who wins it won't be a blowout victory like the Pac vs Rios fight or Mayweather Marquez, so either side can make excuses regarding the result. The only way there's a decisive victory is if Manny reverts back to his old reckless self and Floyd takes advantage, which hopefully doesn't happen.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
If either of them wins by a very close margin, both sides will cry robbery. If one totally dominates the other, each side will say their guy was past his prime. Fact is, there are only a small minority of true boxing fans who can look at the fight objectively and be satisfied with the outcome. The other truth is, this fight is taking place with neither of them at their respective best, which makes for a completely different fight than what it would have been five years ago
Well said.

Quote:
Floyd waiting to fight DLH was part of his M.O. Wait for a big name to age or wear down from tough fights, then defeat their name and not necessarily the fighter in his prime form
DLH didn’t necessarily look that bad. I actually think Pacquiao took the fight vs DLH when he was clearly not only passed his prime but also weight-drained to the point of Freddy Roach even noticing his IV marks on his arm and took advantage of it.

Quote:
He has done this with a half dozen fighters. This was his reason for "retiring" when he did so he could avoid some prime and very dangerous opposition. Once they fought one another and knocked each other from the top of the rankings, he makes his comeback against Marquez who came up about three weight classes to fight him at a catch-weight, which Floyd did not make and had to pay a hefty fine. The version of Marquez that Floyd defeated was not the same version who was roided up and KO'd Manny. Not even close.
If we are going to say that Marquez was roided up then we can say the same about Paquiao and all the reasons he gave to not take the random blood tests or we can say that since Pacquiao has “stopped roiding up” he lost his KO punch and hasn’t stopped any guy for more than 4 years already. Now we can say “But Pacquiao has always tested negative for roid tests”, well, Marquez came out negative too. He did practice extensively on how to counter Pacquiao everytime he did his typical “jab jab straight left”. There are many videos on YouTube showing Marquez training over and over for that attack and that’s what he did to obliterate Pacquiao and not let the judges steal a decision anymore. Decisions that even commentators, boxing experts, and other boxers questioned.

Quote:
I think Pacquiao knew that by giving in to this demand, which was not required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, he would be subject to more demands and probably didn't want to allow Floyd to dictate terms.
Demanding Floyd to pay 1M per extra pound was not required either, yet, Floyd accepted among other things. As of recently, Bob Arum has admitted that they were always ignorant about the blood tests until recently when they accepted to take them for the May fight. So they did not accepted those tests all these years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...012634983.html

Quote:
No one knows who will win this, that's why the fight had to be made. Regardless, I don't think the winner of this fight will earn any new fans from the other fighter's fanbase, and life will go on for boxing
There have been guys who beat the one I root for. I don’t become a fan but I take the outcome as it is. A few examples:

I didn’t want Lennox Lewis to beat Mike Tyson but it is what it is. Lennox used his reach and weight advantage smartly. Tyson didn’t throw enough to hit that glass-jaw. He lost. Fair square.

I don’t root for Pacquiao but I question his loss vs Bradley the same way I question his “wins” vs Marquez.

I was happy to see DLH lose vs Trinidad but not so sure about the decision given to Trinidad regardless of DLH not engaging the last rounds. He was already ahead on points.

And so on and on.

Let’s see how both guys react to a loss. Will Floyd take the loss as a champ and not get all gangsta’ about it? Will Pacquiao take the loss as a champ and not blame it on his socks or something (like he did vs Morales)? We’ll see.

Last edited by onihC; 03-02-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Well said.

DLH didn’t necessarily look that bad. I actually think Pacquiao took the fight vs DLH when he was clearly not only passed his prime but also weight-drained to the point of Freddy Roach even noticing his IV marks on his arm and took advantage of it.

If we are going to say that Marquez was roided up then we can say the same about Paquiao and all the reasons he gave to not take the random blood tests or we can say that since Pacquiao has “stopped roiding up” he lost his KO punch and hasn’t stopped any guy for more than 4 years already. Now we can say “But Pacquiao has always tested negative for roid tests”, well, Marquez came out negative too. He did practice extensively on how to counter Pacquiao everytime he did his typical “jab jab straight left”. There are many videos on YouTube showing Marquez training over and over for that attack and that’s what he did to obliterate Pacquiao and not let the judges steal a decision anymore. Decisions that even commentators, boxing experts, and other boxers questioned.

Demanding Floyd to pay 1M per extra pound was not required either, yet, Floyd accepted among other things. As of recently, Bob Arum has admitted that they were always ignorant about the blood tests until recently when they accepted to take them for the May fight. So they did not accepted those tests all these years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing...012634983.html

There have been guys who beat the one I root for. I don’t become a fan but I take the outcome as it is. A few examples:

I didn’t want Lennox Lewis to beat Mike Tyson but it is what it is. Lennox used his reach and weight advantage smartly. Tyson didn’t throw enough to hit that glass-jaw. He lost. Fair square.

I don’t root for Pacquiao but I question his loss vs Bradley the same way I question his “wins” vs Marquez.

I was happy to see DLH lose vs Trinidad but not so sure about the decision given to Trinidad regardless of DLH not engaging the last rounds. He was already ahead on points.

And so on and on.

Let’s see how both guys react to a loss. Will Floyd take the loss as a champ and not get all gangsta’ about it? Will Pacquiao take the loss as a champ and not blame it on his socks or something (like he did vs Morales)? We’ll see.
I actually scored DLH winning his fight over Floyd 155-113, so even towards the end of his career he still had enough to beat Floyd.

Mayweather fans are quick to jump on the steroid accusation because Floyd started it. One of his claims was how Manny was able to rise through the weight classes and maintain his power and speed. One thing Floyd fans conveniently forget...Floyd and Manny both started their boxing careers at 106 lbs. That's right, Floyd started out at the age of 16 as an amateur at 106 pounds. Manny started out at the age of 16 as a pro at 106 pounds. They each rose through the same weight classes with success (Floyd being undefeated), yet Manny is the only one who Floyd fans find suspect for rising through the ranks and adding muscle weight over the course of his career. Floyd added the same muscle weight over the same course of time. His physique is actually bigger and more muscular than Manny or his other opponents, yet not a hint of suspicion from his fans. Three failed drug tests somehow get sealed in Nevada, his own backyard, and still no one dares to accuse the anointed one.

Marquez has all the tell-tale signs of PED use...acne on his chest, shoulders and back, pronounced facial features, bulking up with ten pounds of muscle over the course of seven months, all while doing heavy cardio preparing for a fight...at the age of 39! Suddenly Marquez found KO and knock down power, and wasn't the same urine drinking version of himself as when he fought Floyd. Just look at comparison photos.

There are certain antagonists who like to troll for attention here and defend Floyd at all costs. Perhaps they have run out of Justin Bieber posters to rub one out to, or they're bored waiting on the next Vin Diesel movie to be released and need some attention. Oh well, boxing will go on long after the Mayweather/Paquiao circus is over.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM

519 posts, read 603,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassiveAggressive68 View Post
I actually scored DLH winning his fight over Floyd 155-113
155-113

Wow, your scoring (not surprisingly) sucks! I guess Oscar must have stuck around and boxed four more rounds after Floyd and everybody else left.

So to sum up, we have deflection, desperately trying to pass an old rumor off as fact and then more tap dancing. Sad...Pathetic actually.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
I actually scored DLH winning his fight over Floyd 155-113, so even towards the end of his career he still had enough to beat Floyd
I was rooting for Floyd in that fight but somehow I thought DLH scored enough to win a close split-decision.

Quote:
Mayweather fans are quick to jump on the steroid accusation because Floyd started it. One of his claims was how Manny was able to rise through the weight classes and maintain his power and speed. One thing Floyd fans conveniently forget...Floyd and Manny both started their boxing careers at 106 lbs. That's right, Floyd started out at the age of 16 as an amateur at 106 pounds.
Good point. And I actually would take it as a compliment if someone questioned me or thought I was using PEDs because of my good performance but something Pac fans conveniently forget is all the contradicting excuses Manny, Freddy, and Bob Arum came up with to not take the random blood tests that Floyd was totally fine in taking as well. There are things I can question about Floyd even though I root for him but I am yet to see a Pac fan question and raise their eyebrows with Pac’s denial to take those random blood tests and the excuses. With that attitude of course one will wonder what’s going on. PED users refuse to take blood tests and dislike them.

Quote:
Marquez has all the tell-tale signs of PED use...acne on his chest, shoulders and back, pronounced facial features, bulking up with ten pounds of muscle over the course of seven months, all while doing heavy cardio preparing for a fight...at the age of 39! Suddenly Marquez found KO and knock down power, and wasn't the same urine drinking version of himself as when he fought Floyd. Just look at comparison photos.
Take Pac’s refusal to take random blood tests for many years and Marquez muscles, both look shady. Still, BOTH came out negative with on their blood tests. Go figure. Pac fans hated Floyd demanding random blood tests but all of a sudden it was ok to demand those tests to Marquez when they saw it convenient. Let’s be fair, why not apply those tests to EVERYBODY. Even Bob Arum and Manny finally agreed and admitted they finally understood the tests after all these years of refusing them. Which still doesn’t make sense to say that when you know your opponent is also taking them so why not go for it? It is fair for both.

Quote:
Oh well, boxing will go on long after the Mayweather/Paquiao circus is over
Hopefully new exciting talent comes up after Mayweather/Pacquiao retire. I think it was fun when Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Barkley, Hagler, Mancini, Chavez, Camacho, Whitaker, Norris, etc. where around in the 80s. Can't forget the heavyweights or lighter weights either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing