Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:33 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It's very simple, Floyd has been arrested and done time for DV.

What pisses people off is that he doesn't have to grovel and beg like NBA and NBA players for his job and forgiveness because he doesn't have a boss. He doesn't have a roger goodell to answer too.
He has the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer to which can revoke his boxing license. Luckily for him, they are as corrupt as Roger Goodell and only care about money.

Last edited by mangoarrow; 05-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Is case you don't know about the "great white hope", it's a reference to the boxer whom whites hoped would finally defeat the black boxer.

In this case Pacquiao is the "white boxer".

After having read the comments on this forum and others online and reading the slights against "Money", it appears much of the remarks go deeper than pure disappointment because Pacquiao lost.

All of a sudden all of the attacks are about his domestic situation all of which have nothing to do with what he's doing in the square circle.

It's the lowest common denominator. My dad used to tell me it's very easy to be successful, because most people rise to the lowest common denominator. The slights against "Money" proves so.
Nonsense.

Your reference to Jack Johnson is soooooooooooo outdated - by 100 years. This is the 21st century. When I watch a fight, I'm colorblind, and so are my friends. I don't associate with anyone who has 'issues'.
Calling Manny, a brown filipino, the Great White Hope is just trying to inject racism into a discussion of why fans don't like to see boxers run around the ring so much.

I don't know what race you are, and I don't care. I just like seeing fighters mix it up good and stand their ground.
Just my opinion. And you have yours.

Last edited by Texabama; 05-03-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 09:16 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
In a way maybe he was the white hope.

Manny isn't perfect but he does come across as humble, educated, professionally dressed, well spoken (even though English is a second language) politically involved, involved in the military, spiritually grounded, etc.

Floyd on the other hand comes across as a stereotypical example of blacks in America. He's a fast talking trash talker, high school drop out, reportedly illiterate (per rapper 50 Cent), self absorbed, all about "dem dollar billz yall" (basically all he talks about), bling-bling, several brushes with law (domestic violence), etc.

On one hand you have a guy (Manny) that a large portion of white America see as respectable (and yes, some blacks) and on the other hand you have a guy that seemingly symbolizes a large negative part of black culture in America.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Is case you don't know about the "great white hope", it's a reference to the boxer whom whites hoped would finally defeat the black boxer.

In this case Pacquiao is the "white boxer".

After having read the comments on this forum and others online and reading the slights against "Money", it appears much of the remarks go deeper than pure disappointment because Pacquiao lost.

All of a sudden all of the attacks are about his domestic situation all of which have nothing to do with what he's doing in the square circle.

It's the lowest common denominator. My dad used to tell me it's very easy to be successful, because most people rise to the lowest common denominator. The slights against "Money" proves so.
My answer is: no.

If anything, I think Pacquiao was the great "Decency" hope. Over the years, we have grown up with a media-fed mythological image of the sports hero and "champ," one who is not only a superior athlete but one whom can allow common folk access to that greatness in the form of public gestures, friendly personalities, or private-made-public acts of humanity. Rightly or wrongly, this idea is imbedded in our DNA.

Whomever might fit this bill, black or white, gets a huge and excessive line of credit from the public and receives the kind of adulation that defies logic, even if the athlete is a great person (e.g. Tony Gwynn) or if the person turns out to be a rather awful human being (e.g. Kirby Puckett). So guys like Mickey Mantle, Willie McCovey, Charles Barkley, Nile Kinnick, etc. become demi-Gods and their adulation passed down from father to son.

Guys that do not fit that bill, who are in a position to be worshipped and mythologized, but who instead shut down access or worse act diametrically opposed to what "our heroes" should act like, often get a disproportionate amount of venom send their way. As a kid, I loved George Foreman, his smile, his pride and his humble reflections. I did not like Muhammad Ali, who in-ring antics were clownish and demeaning, and whose mockery of Joe Frazier was unforgivable. Overtime, like the country, I warmed to Ali and recognized as an adult things that he did that were courageous and self-sacrificing. Yet, I still find it odd why he is considered such a hero and has been given a free pass on the many insults and hurtful comments he once gave. My confusion and his continued worship suggests there is more than one model for the American Hero.

Back to Mayweather and Pacquiao. It is not hard to see why people like Manny. He smiles. He is respectful to his opponents. He does not clown or taunt. He found religion (though I am an atheist, I see the act as reflecting a search for a life beyond money to one of meaning). He is a beloved local politician.

What about Mayweather? LOL. He is an incredible businessman and a very good and smart boxer and performing artist. But, he is not the archetype of the American Hero. He taunts, often with anger behind his words (unlike Ali). He mas made numerous racist and bigoted comments. He wins at all costs even if it means punching on the break as he did with Ortiz. He knows when to run and clench. These all make him a great thinking boxer--amongst the best ever--but in no way does he reach hero worship of the type received by Hagler, Hearns, Frazier, or vintage Roberto Duran. In fact, because he such an anti-hero, he is emphatically "not liked!"

What about Roy Jones Jr and Sugar Ray Leonard. Both were clowns in the ring who taunted their opponents in really childish and unbecoming ways (probably learned from Ali). I think while Roy Jones was a phenom, he never worked his way into the hearts of boxing fans like Hearns and Hagler did. Talk to the older folk. But out of the ring RJJ was far more likeable than Mayweather. And Leonard, his smile and personality, overshadowed the demonstrations of his ego that started to fade in the public (see his interview with FLoyd Mayweather Sr. where the annoying SRL comes out). But Mayweather? Aside from all that bottled up rage at not being loved and of racial zingers (like the one on Jeremy Lin), there are the numerous domestic abuse charges and his sentencing.

Essentially, Mayweather was evil and Pacquiao the saint. That Pacquiao was not black was irrelevant as far as the distaste for Mayweather.

There are plenty of White Hope-isms out there is American sport and an equal number of plays for Race Card Victimization. I see neither here. Mayweather defended his title, remains undefeated and walked away with >$100 million. He was classy in victory, which I was pleased to see. From reading the live blogs, he deserved the fight and fought just like I thought he would--with great intelligence. In time and as he mellows, he may grow to be a great champion and earn the love he has never received.

A better search for White Hopes would be to find a likeable Black Athlete and a irritable and annoying White Guy and post evidence of the media trying to make the unlikeable White Guy the Great White Hope. I think it will be a difficult search, for non-blacks dislike the Rick Barrys and Bryce Harpers of the world and love the Bo Jacksons and Dr. J's WAY more than permanent White Hope-ism theory would suggest.

Finally, as a professional boxing performer, Mayweather is a genius. He is owed a debt of gratitude by many in what is a dying sport. However, he is no hero and without a mythology that will stand the test of time.

My two cents.
S.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 AM

365 posts, read 499,572 times
After Mayweather won there were thousands of tweets calling him the N word. Pretty sad.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
My answer is: no.

If anything, I think Pacquiao was the great "Decency" hope. Over the years, we have grown up with a media-fed mythological image of the sports hero and "champ," one who is not only a superior athlete but one whom can allow common folk access to that greatness in the form of public gestures, friendly personalities, or private-made-public acts of humanity. Rightly or wrongly, this idea is imbedded in our DNA.

Whomever might fit this bill, black or white, gets a huge and excessive line of credit from the public and receives the kind of adulation that defies logic, even if the athlete is a great person (e.g. Tony Gwynn) or if the person turns out to be a rather awful human being (e.g. Kirby Puckett). So guys like Mickey Mantle, Willie McCovey, Charles Barkley, Nile Kinnick, etc. become demi-Gods and their adulation passed down from father to son.

Guys that do not fit that bill, who are in a position to be worshipped and mythologized, but who instead shut down access or worse act diametrically opposed to what "our heroes" should act like, often get a disproportionate amount of venom send their way. As a kid, I loved George Foreman, his smile, his pride and his humble reflections. I did not like Muhammad Ali, who in-ring antics were clownish and demeaning, and whose mockery of Joe Frazier was unforgivable. Overtime, like the country, I warmed to Ali and recognized as an adult things that he did that were courageous and self-sacrificing. Yet, I still find it odd why he is considered such a hero and has been given a free pass on the many insults and hurtful comments he once gave. My confusion and his continued worship suggests there is more than one model for the American Hero.

Back to Mayweather and Pacquiao. It is not hard to see why people like Manny. He smiles. He is respectful to his opponents. He does not clown or taunt. He found religion (though I am an atheist, I see the act as reflecting a search for a life beyond money to one of meaning). He is a beloved local politician.

What about Mayweather? LOL. He is an incredible businessman and a very good and smart boxer and performing artist. But, he is not the archetype of the American Hero. He taunts, often with anger behind his words (unlike Ali). He mas made numerous racist and bigoted comments. He wins at all costs even if it means punching on the break as he did with Ortiz. He knows when to run and clench. These all make him a great thinking boxer--amongst the best ever--but in no way does he reach hero worship of the type received by Hagler, Hearns, Frazier, or vintage Roberto Duran. In fact, because he such an anti-hero, he is emphatically "not liked!"

What about Roy Jones Jr and Sugar Ray Leonard. Both were clowns in the ring who taunted their opponents in really childish and unbecoming ways (probably learned from Ali). I think while Roy Jones was a phenom, he never worked his way into the hearts of boxing fans like Hearns and Hagler did. Talk to the older folk. But out of the ring RJJ was far more likeable than Mayweather. And Leonard, his smile and personality, overshadowed the demonstrations of his ego that started to fade in the public (see his interview with FLoyd Mayweather Sr. where the annoying SRL comes out). But Mayweather? Aside from all that bottled up rage at not being loved and of racial zingers (like the one on Jeremy Lin), there are the numerous domestic abuse charges and his sentencing.

Essentially, Mayweather was evil and Pacquiao the saint. That Pacquiao was not black was irrelevant as far as the distaste for Mayweather.

There are plenty of White Hope-isms out there is American sport and an equal number of plays for Race Card Victimization. I see neither here. Mayweather defended his title, remains undefeated and walked away with >$100 million. He was classy in victory, which I was pleased to see. From reading the live blogs, he deserved the fight and fought just like I thought he would--with great intelligence. In time and as he mellows, he may grow to be a great champion and earn the love he has never received.

A better search for White Hopes would be to find a likeable Black Athlete and a irritable and annoying White Guy and post evidence of the media trying to make the unlikeable White Guy the Great White Hope. I think it will be a difficult search, for non-blacks dislike the Rick Barrys and Bryce Harpers of the world and love the Bo Jacksons and Dr. J's WAY more than permanent White Hope-ism theory would suggest.

Finally, as a professional boxing performer, Mayweather is a genius. He is owed a debt of gratitude by many in what is a dying sport. However, he is no hero and without a mythology that will stand the test of time.

My two cents.
S.
LOVE your analysis. It explains my feelings and a huge % of the populace's feelings perfectly.

In a nut shell, I'm sick and tired of in your face, disrespectful athletes be they amateur or professional. So many have been coddled and caressed their whole life when it comes to what they can do athletically that they feel like they can say and do anything they want, no matter who it hurts or offends.

Manny was a breath of fresh air in a sport dominated by morons. It didn't matter to many of us what nationality he was or his skin color. What mattered was his humanity and his humility. The Klitchco brothers conduct themselves with the same decency.

I too admired Joe Frazier. He was a humble decent man who took verbal abuse every step of his career. Ali was a prick. Had Parkinson's disease not taken hold making him dependent on the goodness of others, he would not have changed.

The great "Decency" hope. Absolutely.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:29 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
After Mayweather won there were thousands of tweets calling him the N word. Pretty sad.

Considering so many of those were Asians and non-whites it kinda blows the whole "only white man" can be racist, huh?

And I know that's not what many people say, but make no mistake about it that's what they imply - "old white men" need to go away, "white privilege" and "white structure" crap.

BS. I've known plenty of Asians over the years and I'll be damned if some of them weren't far more "racist" than any white racst I ever knew.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
If Floyd can dish out racism, he can take it.

Floyd Mayweather laughed off "shocking" racist tirade against Manny Pacquiao, says former manager - Mirror Online

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=5527403

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 05-04-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 01:35 PM

469 posts, read 576,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
BS. I've known plenty of Asians over the years and I'll be damned if some of them weren't far more "racist" than any white racst I ever knew.
I haven't really seen it in person but the amount of racism I've seen on boxing discussion boards directed at Blacks (due to the whole May-Pac talk) and Hispanics (assorted battles with fighters from Latin America) over the years by Filipino boxing fans is unrivaled in my personal experience. The things these guys posted would make a Klansman cringe. I remember yahoo used to have a boxing forum and they had to eventually put an IP ban at one point on the Philippines because it got so bad. Ugly stuff.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Manny isn't perfect but he does come across as humble...
He didn't look too humble after the fight when he looked for excuses to his defeat saying he was hurt before the fight and whatnot. He does look like a nice guy but as for being humble? I am not sure about that. A humble person takes the loss, gives the other guy credit, and moves on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing