Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Its not like he faced them just like Manny did. Floyd fought them AT THEIR WEIGHT no weight draining or whatever. Cotto went down in weight to fight Manny and when a rematched was talked about Cotto asked Manny to go up to his weight which he quickly rejected.

So you say Floyd fought nobody, yet, you praise Manny for fighting light fisted Bradley who he beat before without any doubts? People questioned Floyd beating Maidana so he fought him again. Nobody questioned Pacquiao beating Bradley, yet, he fights him again for the 3rd time and last fight of his career? Wow.

I have sent different questions to you on past threads which you have decided to ignore so don’t even mention it man. Even Ronda Rousey talked about fighting Floyd so don’t take this MMA stuff seriously really.

Sorry, boxing is not a sport to entertain the casual fan. You go in there to win, not to entertain. Sorry Floyd didn’t spit flames or some other circus act. He went in there to outbox and outpunch his opponents just like many other defensive fighters in the past have done.

Not entertaining for the casual fan, you are right. It’s like watching a basketball team win with 3 pointers and shots but no fancy slam dunks. Booo hooo! What a lousy team that doesn’t entertain us…right?

Not really. There are boxers who have retired with more fights, losses, etc. and its not the number of fights that make them great or number of losses. Floyd will remain up there in the lists of the best boxers ever to lace them up. Don’t agree? Well, go and disagree with boxer historians, boxer analysts, other pro boxers, HBO, Showtime, etc.
Ahem, are you really that obtuse or just a hopeless fanboy? Boxing is a sport, sports are ENTERTAINMENT, and yes, to the die-hard and casual fan, it is there as a form of entertainment. Who wants to watch a football game that ends with a score of 3-0? Who wants to watch a baseball game that goes into extra innings and is won with a score of 1-0 on four walks? No one!

Manny didn't force anyone to drain themselves. Even Cotto admits this. Oscar was a seasoned vet, if he chose to fight at 147 that was on him to be at his best. If anything Manny was usually the smaller fighter in the ring. Floyd demanded Canelo come down to 152, so don't say he always fought opponents at their full weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 07:45 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Manny didn't force anyone to drain themselves. Even Cotto admits this. Oscar was a seasoned vet, if he chose to fight at 147 that was on him to be at his best. If anything Manny was usually the smaller fighter in the ring. Floyd demanded Canelo come down to 152, so don't say he always fought opponents at their full weight.
DLH weighed 147 pounds on fight night compared to Manny's 148.5.

Quote:
De La Hoya not only dropped down to fight for the first time at 147 pounds in seven years, but actually came into the ring unofficially weighing less than Pacquiao. Both fighters got on scales in their dressing rooms and De La Hoya was 147 while Pacquiao was 148 and a half.
https://web.archive.org/web/20081208....ap/index.html

Canelo was 165 pounds on fight night. Mayweather was 150.

Quote:
Mayweather remained unbeaten in 45 fights and added another piece of the junior middleweight title to his collection in a fight that was fought at a 152-pound limit. Alvarez weighed in at that weight, but was an unofficial 165 pounds when he got into the ring while Mayweather, who weighed in at 150 1/2 pounds, was an even 150.
Mayweather vs Canelo: Floyd Mayweather puts on dominating display in win - CBS News

Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 AM

Pacquiao considers his DLH fight to be his "greatest" fight.

Manny Pacquiao names his top five fights - LA Times

So your greatest accomplishment is beating a semi-retired and malnourished fighter who's six years older than you?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:51 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Ahem, are you really that obtuse or just a hopeless fanboy? Boxing is a sport, sports are ENTERTAINMENT
Fanboy? Look who’s talking. You still can’t accept your boy lost but what can we expect if you support a guy who always has excuses for his losses: wrong pair of socks, wrong pair of gloves, the shoulder, his god told him in a dream he was going to lose so he fulfilled the prophecy, etc.

Nope, you play sports to win. You want to entertain? Then go work in a circus, on TV, theater, in a street corner performing, etc. That’s entertainment. I am yet to see someone get a gold medal for being the most entertaining, have you?

Quote:
wants to watch a football game that ends with a score of 3-0? Who wants to watch a baseball game that goes into extra innings and is won with a score of 1-0 on four walks? No one!
Might be boring but in the end whoever wins is what counts. A football team might have scored 3 but they still managed to score those 3 points to get the win while the other couldn’t even score 1 (using your example).

Quote:
Manny didn't force anyone to drain themselves. Even Cotto admits this.
Nobody is forced to anything. Cotto foolishly took the fight with that disadvantage but later got smarter and asked Manny to fight him at his weight which Manny and his team quickly declined. Floyd did fight Cotto at his weight.

Manny was not forced to use certain pair of socks, to use certain pair of gloves, etc.

Quote:
Oscar was a seasoned vet, if he chose to fight at 147 that was on him to be at his best. If anything Manny was usually the smaller fighter in the ring
Smaller and smarter fighter with a smarter corner who saw the advantage they could have in fighting a guy who was going to fight in a weight where he didn’t fight for many years. They even saw his IV marks on his arm knowing Oscar was just in bad condition in that fight. Oscar could have come up with all these things as excuses but nope, he did take the loss as a champ unlike the “humble and religious” Manny.

Now go respond to BajanYankee who has made some quite interesting points .

Old 05-29-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Fanboy? Look who’s talking. You still can’t accept your boy lost but what can we expect if you support a guy who always has excuses for his losses: wrong pair of socks, wrong pair of gloves, the shoulder, his god told him in a dream he was going to lose so he fulfilled the prophecy, etc.

Nope, you play sports to win. You want to entertain? Then go work in a circus, on TV, theater, in a street corner performing, etc. That’s entertainment. I am yet to see someone get a gold medal for being the most entertaining, have you?

Might be boring but in the end whoever wins is what counts. A football team might have scored 3 but they still managed to score those 3 points to get the win while the other couldn’t even score 1 (using your example).

Nobody is forced to anything. Cotto foolishly took the fight with that disadvantage but later got smarter and asked Manny to fight him at his weight which Manny and his team quickly declined. Floyd did fight Cotto at his weight.

Manny was not forced to use certain pair of socks, to use certain pair of gloves, etc.

Smaller and smarter fighter with a smarter corner who saw the advantage they could have in fighting a guy who was going to fight in a weight where he didn’t fight for many years. They even saw his IV marks on his arm knowing Oscar was just in bad condition in that fight. Oscar could have come up with all these things as excuses but nope, he did take the loss as a champ unlike the “humble and religious” Manny.

Now go respond to BajanYankee who has made some quite interesting points .
For one thing, I am not the one who brought Pacquiao into the discussion, that's you and Bajan. In fact, you were gone from this forum for six months and didn't bother to visit the boxing page until I came back to make a post. Talk about fanboy, you will defend Floyd to the bitter end, you aren't a boxing fan, you are a Floyd fan. Big difference.

Sorry, but if you are charging someone to watch your fights, and fans are paying to watch, it's entertainment. Don't be mad because you are a fan of a boring fighter. No need to defend him to the death, he won't be throwing you a bone or bequeathing his millions to you.

I don't need to respond to Bajan's nonsense since he is clearly in the same league of fanboy delusion as you. Neither of you are fans of the sport. My initial post to this thread had nothing to do with Pacquiao. But you and him always find a way to bring either him or Floyd into a boxing thread. And the two of you wonder why real knowledgeable boxing fans have left this forum.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
For one thing, I am not the one who brought Pacquiao into the discussion, that's you and Bajan.
Nope. Go back to post #3. It was bigben1234. See, Mayweather is missed so much that not only in boxing conversations but also in MMA conversations his name keeps popping up. Quite impressive for someone that is not supposed to be missed, go figure.

Quote:
In fact, you were gone from this forum for six months and didn't bother to visit the boxing page until I came back to make a post. Talk about fanboy, you will defend Floyd to the bitter end, you aren't a boxing fan, you are a Floyd fan. Big difference.
Wrong again. There was no action around here for so long. I have talked already about how I feel he got sparked in some fights while you refuse to see faults at your boy Manny or going as far as admitting his defeats.

Quote:
Sorry, but if you are charging someone to watch your fights, and fans are paying to watch, it's entertainment. Don't be mad because you are a fan of a boring fighter. No need to defend him to the death, he won't be throwing you a bone or bequeathing his millions to you.
As a fan of boxing I enjoy watching fights that a casual fan would enjoy. The kind of fights where you have two guys standing in the middle of the ring slugging it out. But I also enjoy fights where you have two pure smart boxers. Boxers, brawlers, trash talkers, polite talkers, snipers, southpaws, etc. All that is what makes boxing fun for me.

In your opinion, he is not a winner when it comes to entertainment. Unfortunately, a boxer’s hand is not lifted for entertaining the crowd. His hand is lifted if HE WINS. That is the nature of the sport. You score, you win. Floyd has done that.

Quote:
I don't need to respond to Bajan's nonsense since he is clearly in the same league of fanboy delusion as you.
Or you just can’t really comeback with a good response. I have no problem responding to you over and over even if I have to repeat myself or bring back stats and numbers.

One question…I am curious about something since you are a Paquiao fan. Let’s put the entertainment factor to one side and answer this: Do you think Floyd Mayweather Jr. had good boxing skills?

Old 06-02-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Neither of you are fans of the sport.
I'm not a fan of the sport? Okay. What city has a stronger boxing culture than Philly?

Old 06-02-2016, 12:00 PM

145 posts, read 160,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not a fan of the sport? Okay. What city has a stronger boxing culture than Philly?
Detroit, New York, Los Angeles

Old 06-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Nope. Go back to post #3. It was bigben1234. See, Mayweather is missed so much that not only in boxing conversations but also in MMA conversations his name keeps popping up. Quite impressive for someone that is not supposed to be missed, go figure.

Wrong again. There was no action around here for so long. I have talked already about how I feel he got sparked in some fights while you refuse to see faults at your boy Manny or going as far as admitting his defeats.

As a fan of boxing I enjoy watching fights that a casual fan would enjoy. The kind of fights where you have two guys standing in the middle of the ring slugging it out. But I also enjoy fights where you have two pure smart boxers. Boxers, brawlers, trash talkers, polite talkers, snipers, southpaws, etc. All that is what makes boxing fun for me.

In your opinion, he is not a winner when it comes to entertainment. Unfortunately, a boxer’s hand is not lifted for entertaining the crowd. His hand is lifted if HE WINS. That is the nature of the sport. You score, you win. Floyd has done that.

Or you just can’t really comeback with a good response. I have no problem responding to you over and over even if I have to repeat myself or bring back stats and numbers.

One question…I am curious about something since you are a Paquiao fan. Let’s put the entertainment factor to one side and answer this: Do you think Floyd Mayweather Jr. had good boxing skills?
Yes, of course Mayweather has great skills. That was never in question. My discontent with him is (a) he routinely fights opponents either way beneath his skill level or avoids the best at their best (b) waits for them to age out or wear out (c) while his defense is great, it just doesn't make for exciting fights. His persona outside the ring is what has catapulted his success. He has a great marketing team, and today's fans and society at large love extravagance. They love the smoke and mirrors, the flash and circus show. We live in a TMZ Hollywood culture where tabloid celebs are household names. He is cut from that cloth and he is bad for boxing. Now we have champions and contenders like Cotto, Canelo, Walters, Rigo, Broner, Garcia, Stevenson pricing themselves out of fights, dumping their titles to dodge opponents, and looking for the low risk-high reward fights. Thanks to the blueprint for success that Floyd has laid down.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Any sports fan will tell you that. I can cite dozens of examples. Undefeated means nothing if you haven't fought the best in their prime.

Now he wants us all to celebrate a potential 50th win over an MMA scrub? If that doesn't happen then he likely gives it to Broner. I'm not strictly a Pac fan. It took me a while to warm up to him. Prior to Pac I loved Duran, Hagler, Jones, Holyfield, and many others. Now that he is retired boxing goes on and there are fighter's whose careers I will follow...GGG, Roman Gonzalez, Crawford, Thurman and others. Time to make way for the new talent.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 06-04-2016 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, of course Mayweather has great skills. That was never in question
I guess we agree on that.

Quote:
My discontent with him is (a) he routinely fights opponents either way beneath his skill level
He makes opponents look beneath his skill level of course. When someone is that great any opponent looks beneath his skill. You can have guys beating people left and right, undefeated, etc. only to face someone superior than him and look like an amateur. It happens in any sport.

Quote:
or avoids the best at their best (b)
Really?

Career Achievements
WBA Super World Welterweight Champion (2014 - present)
WBC World Welterweight Champion (2011, 2013, present)
WBA Super World Light-Middleweight Champion (2012)
WBC World Light-Middleweight Champion (2007, 2013)
WBC World Welterweight Champion (2006, 2007, 2011, 2013)
IBA World Welterweight Champion (2006)
IBF World Welterweight Champion (2006)
IBO World Welterweight Champion (2006)
WBC World Lightweight Champion (2002 - 2003)
WBC World Super-Featherweight Champion (1998 - 2001)

All this while remaining undefeated and not showing weaknesses or a drop of sweat or blood. Only time I saw a drop of blood was vs Miguel Cotto (at his weight).

Quote:
waits for them to age out or wear out (c)
Someone that comes to mind on that is Manny Pacquiao when he fought Oscar De La Hoya among others but this is something many boxers in the past have done. Muhamad Ali vs Trevor Berbick, Ray Leonard when he lost against Terry Norris and Hector Camacho, Kostya Tszyu beating JC Chavez, etc. It is seen in boxing all the time.

Quote:
while his defense is great, it just doesn't make for exciting fights.
For fans of fights that involve punch exchanges, yes, it won’t be exciting. In my case, I like fights where two guys slug it out in the middle of the ring recklessly as much as I like fights that are smarter with more strategy. I’ll root for both kinds of fights. Still, call Floyd’s style boring, somehow the crowds were excited to see him in the ring and his fights have broken many PPV and ticket sale records. Go figure.

Quote:
His persona outside the ring is what has catapulted his success
That’s what I find interesting because he was not the most liked guy and yet people did what they could to see him in the ring.

Quote:
He is cut from that cloth and he is bad for boxing
Not sure if he is bad for boxing specially after all the money he brought to the sport and the exposure from all the PPV and ticket sales.

Quote:
Now we have champions and contenders like Cotto, Canelo, Walters, Rigo, Broner, Garcia, Stevenson pricing themselves out of fights, dumping their titles to dodge opponents, and looking for the low risk-high reward fights. Thanks to the blueprint for success that Floyd has laid down.
After seeing how Manny Pacquiao fought a guy like Bradley 3 times, Alguieri, Diaz, Clottey, Rios, etc. of course people would not be as excited to see boxing. Low-risk fights.

Quote:
Stats don't tell the whole story. Any sports fan will tell you that. I can cite dozens of examples. Undefeated means nothing if you haven't fought the best in their prime.
Go back to the picture I posted and tell me who he fought. Also, there is a reason why boxing historians, boxing analysts, boxing commentators, other professional boxers, boxing trainers, ESPN, HBO, Showtime, boxing announcers, etc. place Floyd Mayweather on their list of boxing’s greats. Can they all be wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing