Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

Not a poll. Nothing more than a last minute thread in which to post our comments.

I always get this wrong, and tonight may be no different. Anyway, I believe Canelo Alvarez will be far too much for Amir Khan - or "A Mere Can" as he is better known on this side of the planet.

Khan's speed has been far over touted tonight. However, this would seem like a minor inconvenience for Alvarez.

CANELO WINS BY TKO AFTER THE 10TH ROUND, OR BY MAJORITY DECISION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:58 PM

469 posts, read 576,867 times
Brutal, brutal KO. I'm glad Khan is OK, and he earned a lot of respect from me for even taking the fight. He was doing well before that.

That being said, we've gotta see GGG-Canelo now. My gut feeling is that GGG is too much for him, and he just seems a little too big physically for Alvarez, but not that much. Canelo boxes better than people give him credit for though, and dude brings the wood. His chin is solid as a rock too.

Very, very interesting fight on the horizon.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:18 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,061 times
Why couldn't Canelo do that to Mayweather? I hope he fights GGG now.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Because Canelo is not Usain Bolt!

See, it takes a Sprinter to catch a Sprinter.

Canelo is a fighter, not a Sprinter.

Mayweather, on the other hand . . .

Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 PM

469 posts, read 576,867 times
Quote:
Mayweather is a better boxer. He hit Canelo with more shots than he took, he threw more punches, and he landed more. The same with his fight against Pacquiao. It's really that simple.

Boxing, at it's core isn't two guys standing flat footed, trading heavy shots. As entertaining as that is, it's not in the end, what boxing is. It's hitting the other guy more than he hits you, and doing it better than your opponent does. KOíng one makes it simple, and entertaining, but ultimately, you don't have to put a guy on the mat for a 10 count to be the better man. Ali was not a KO artist, he was a boxer. Mayweather wasn't a KO artist, but he was/is the finest boxer that I've seen in my lifetime.

Love or hate the man, he is a master of his craft. Look at the punch stats of his fights with Canelo or Pacquiao...it's laughable that people say he "ran", especially in the latter fight. He threw and landed more punches than Manny did and he made Canelo look..average.

Only great fighters can do this.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 AM

320 posts, read 539,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Brutal, brutal KO. I'm glad Khan is OK, and he earned a lot of respect from me for even taking the fight. He was doing well before that.

That being said, we've gotta see GGG-Canelo now. My gut feeling is that GGG is too much for him, and he just seems a little too big physically for Alvarez, but not that much. Canelo boxes better than people give him credit for though, and dude brings the wood. His chin is solid as a rock too.

Very, very interesting fight on the horizon.
I like GGG and everything, one of my favorite fighters to watch actually. But I think that he's going to have his hands full with Alvarez. Alvarez is a much better boxer than people give him credit for. The Mayweather fight exposed him a little bit but anyone who thought that he was going to be able to outbox Floyd is a flat out fool. That being said, I think people over rate GGG's skills and give him credit for things he hasn't done yet.

I will concede that it would be difficult for anyone (most notably me) to accurately rate GGG's skills because his opponents have been meticulously hand picked by his handlers. Let's be honest, with the exception of Willie Monroe Jr., his list of opponents are fighters who would stand in front of him and get hit without offering much in the way footwork, counter punching or skill. One thing we all know that GGG can do is knock someone's head off. So these guys are dudes that make him look good. So I don't blame his handlers because right now he's looking very good.

I think that although Canelo will also be a guy who stands in front of GGG, I feel that he's good enough of a technician to give GGG a boat load of problems. Canelo's chin is also good enough to withstand a few shots that may get in early on from GGG. My overall point is that I've seen Canelo fight against some top notch competition. GGG's size may be somewhat of a concern, but until I see GGG against some more dynamic fighters, I can't automatically assume that he would get the best of Canelo.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Default Teddy atlas on canelo vs khan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaA_43jfHwk

Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 AM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Because Canelo is not Usain Bolt!

See, it takes a Sprinter to catch a Sprinter.

Canelo is a fighter, not a Sprinter.

Mayweather, on the other hand . . .

Right.

“I couldn’t connect,” said Alvarez, who suffered the first loss of his pro career. “He’s very elusive, intelligent and has a lot of experience. I honestly couldn’t find him. In the late rounds I was frustrated. I recognize that he beat me and he’s a great fighter.”

Mayweather dominates Alvarez despite laughable scorecards - Ring TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9-Uf9AI4U

Old 05-09-2016, 11:45 AM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Because Mayweather is defensively responsible and uses his feet and waist to avoid punches instead of throwing up his guard and taking punishment.

I haven't even seen the fight yet but that's usually what Khan does. He's too fast for his own good sometimes, which is why he got stopped by Danny Garcia.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 PM

145 posts, read 160,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Because Mayweather is defensively responsible and uses his feet and waist to avoid punches instead of throwing up his guard and taking punishment.

I haven't even seen the fight yet but that's usually what Khan does. He's too fast for his own good sometimes, which is why he got stopped by Danny Garcia.
I never understood why most boxers don't steal Mayweather's fighting style?

Seems less exhausting than being a swarmer, and you don't take a ton of punishment. Sure, you could fall behind on points, but I doubt you would get KO'd very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing