Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 PM

536 posts, read 323,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what that means. Have you ever competed in a boxing ring before? It is no easy feat tracking down small, nimble fighters. Canelo couldn't knock out Cotto because Cotto knows how to be evasive and fight intelligently. It's also true that Canelo is not very good at cutting off the ring, which is essential to dominating smaller and quicker opponents. A KO isn't always the result of devastating power, but usually a consequence of a guy not being defensively responsible. Cotto is one of the most defensively responsible fighters in the game and has only been stopped by a plastered up Margarito and a Pac-man many believed to be on roids.
Well Golovkin didn't seem to have a problem with beating the hell out of very big welterweight Brook . If Cotto had the guts to get in the ring with his mandatory Golovkin we would see something similar .

Quote:
Canelo has very good footwork. He's just not fleet-footed and fleet-footedness is relative. Just because he looks slower against welterweights doesn't mean he will look slower against GGG. And Golovkin is about as flat-footed a fighter as they come. That's the one thing Conor McGregor was actually right about. You make it seem like GGG is Terence Crawford.
Golovkin is not flat footed . He has very good footwork . He cutts of the ring fantastically . He just doesnt show it off , doesn't fool around with it . He could keep up even with Jacobs . He has clearly better footwork than Alvarez . I mean Alvarez doesn't cutt off ring well , so how is he not flat footed ? If he had very good footwork then he would have no problem with cutting the ring off .

Quote:
So basically your argument can be reduced to "he's too big, he's too strong." Very sophisticated analysis.
And Danny Jacobs is not an A-level fighter. And I'm biased towards Danny seeing he's a Brooklyn boy.
You forgot about his great footwork ? So no , he is not just big . He was monstrous in the fight with Golovkin , he has great footwork and 1 punch ko power , basically all things that canelo lacks . He posed much greater threat to Golovkin . You know , whether you like it or not size matters . And why is that Alvarez is A level fighter ? Who that great has this guy ever beaten convincingly ? If he had not been mexican he could have had at least 3 losses by now .

Quote:
It is a fact that Canelo has more experience against better fighters. That's not really disputable. Do you think any of GGG's opponents have put together HOF careers? I think what people mean to say is that GGG has fought BIGGER opponents, which is true, but that's not the same thing as fighting a truly high quality opponent.
What do you think would Golovkin do to this quality opponents like Lara , Cotto , Trout ? Do you think that he would struggle with them as much as Alvarez did ? They are both the same size , so we can compare them .
And on the other hand would Alvarez beat Golovkin's opponents ? Would he beat Jacobs ? I highly doubt that . Would he beat Lemieux , Brook ? I wouldn't bet my money on that .

After Mayweather , Jacobs would be by far the biggest challenge in Alvarez's carrer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 12:52 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
What do you think would Golovkin do to this quality opponents like Lara , Cotto , Trout ? Do you think that he would struggle with them as much as Alvarez did ? They are both the same size , so we can compare them.
This is a silly question since the two men have two completely different approaches to the sport. GGG stalks people down. Canelo doesn't really press the advantage even when he has guys hurt. And as I said before, Canelo struggles more with nimble boxers who keep the fight on the outside since he's not as good cutting the ring off (though he has improved).

But that really doesn't matter since GGG is not a nimble, fleet-footed fighter in the mold of a Floyd Mayweather, Jr. or Esrilandy Lara. Whereas Canelo has to go and find a Lara, GGG is going to come to him. So his inability to cut the ring is not going to be a factor here.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:13 PM

I'm not one to make assessments of fighters strictly off their level of competition, but GGG fans need to stop trying to play up B-level fighters like Jacobs as if they are on anyone's Top P4P lists.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/qu...ovkin-crawford

Top 25 Pound-for-Pound Boxers After Pacquiao vs. Bradley | Bleacher Report

Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not one to make assessments of fighters strictly off their level of competition, but GGG fans need to stop trying to play up B-level fighters like Jacobs as if they are on anyone's Top P4P lists.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/qu...ovkin-crawford

Top 25 Pound-for-Pound Boxers After Pacquiao vs. Bradley | Bleacher Report
Well , there are no other middleweights besides Golovkin on those lists , so he could have not possibly fought against any . Kell Brook is on this list , so there's one that Golovkin fought . Plus so called best of the best by many people , Roman Gonzalez has just lost to a fighter that was not on any top Pound for pound lists . So much for the rankings .

Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Plus so called best of the best by many people , Roman Gonzalez has just lost to a fighter that was not on any top Pound for pound lists . So much for the rankings .
And Mike Tyson lost to someone not on any P4P list. That's not the point. The point is that GGG fans are making out Jacobs, Wade, Monroe, etc. to be something they are not because they all know the quality of his opposition has been rather lackluster. That's not something we can fault GGG for necessarily, but we need to recognize it for what it is. We can also say that the Cleveland Cavaliers were a good team and simultaneously say that they had an easy route to the NBA Finals by not having to play teams like the Spurs, Warriors, OKC, etc.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
And Mike Tyson lost to someone not on any P4P list. That's not the point. The point is that GGG fans are making out Jacobs, Wade, Monroe, etc. to be something they are not because they all know the quality of his opposition has been rather lackluster. That's not something we can fault GGG for necessarily, but we need to recognize it for what it is. We can also say that the Cleveland Cavaliers were a good team and simultaneously say that they had an easy route to the NBA Finals by not having to play teams like the Spurs, Warriors, OKC, etc.
While I agree about Monroe Jr. and Wade , they are medicore fighters , you couldn't say that they are anything special . Jacobs is a very good fighter in my opinion , though .

Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
While I agree about Monroe Jr. and Wade , they are medicore fighters , you couldn't say that they are anything special . Jacobs is a very good fighter in my opinion , though .
I would say Jacobs is above average. What do you think makes him a very good fighter?

Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I would say Jacobs is above average. What do you think makes him a very good fighter?
I would have said that Jacobs was above average or just good before his fight against Golovkin but with that fight he gained some points . He showed tremendous movement , made great use of a space and showed great variety , great heart , got knocked down , got up and sticked to his plan , was able to keep at distance one of the best offensive boxers in the business , landed good combinations on him and showed very good counterpunching skills . He had a vast size advantage on GGG though , and on the other hand you could say that he should have done more , be more aggressive and find some way to neutralise Golovkin's jab . His punching power also scores him some points .

Jacobs is by no means an elite fighter (By A level before , I meant top 5 of his weight division ) , but in my opinion he is very good , skilled fighter and would be a strong favourite if he fought Alvarez . He is huge middleweight though and I have no idea how he makes his weight limit . Although I have my suspicions : )

Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
It's on!

Old 09-16-2017, 10:01 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
It is a Draw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing