Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Glad I went to the gym instead of paying to watch. Sounds like it ended just how everyone predicted. I guess Conner gets some credit for lasting 10 rounds with one of the greats.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:38 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I think Mayweather by TKO in round 9. The early rounds will be Mayweather trying to figure out McGregor's unique style, but McGregor will be winded pretty quickly and Floyd will begin to pick him apart.
Almost spot on, but still nice call.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Almost spot on, but still nice call.
Thanks. I will say, I thought Floyd figuring him out would be playing defense and still winning rounds. McGregor exceeded I think everyone's expectations by a mile. I actually had it 86-85 before the stoppage. Great fight. I hope McGregor remains in boxing.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Thanks. I will say, I thought Floyd figuring him out would be playing defense and still winning rounds. McGregor exceeded I think everyone's expectations by a mile. I actually had it 86-85 before the stoppage. Great fight. I hope McGregor remains in boxing.
Yes he did, you have to give him credit on that.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
I thought McGregor performed way below my expectations personally. I figured Floyd would knock him out, but I didn't think he would literally walk McGregor down with no concern at all about his punches. McGregor got beat in perhaps the most embarrassing way possible considering it was him that said he would be the one to walk Mayweather down.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:12 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I thought McGregor performed way below my expectations personally. I figured Floyd would knock him out, but I didn't think he would literally walk McGregor down with no concern at all about his punches. McGregor got beat in perhaps the most embarrassing way possible considering it was him that said he would be the one to walk Mayweather down.
Agreed. There are a lot of people who don't understand boxing.

Mayweather gifted McGregor rounds in what was essentially an exhibition. There are 10th graders who could have thrown hooks over his lazy ass jab. Mayweather basically just threw up a high guard and smothered his punches. He wasn't taking it seriously at all.

Mayweather Sr.'s expression said it all. He was cool, calm and collected the entire fight. When was the last time we've seen that guy cool, calm and collected?

Old 08-27-2017, 12:14 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Agreed. There are a lot of people who don't understand boxing.

Mayweather gifted McGregor rounds in what was essentially an exhibition. There are 10th graders who could have thrown hooks over his lazy ass jab. Mayweather basically just threw up a high guard and smothered his punches. He wasn't taking it seriously at all.

Mayweather Sr.'s expression said it all. He was cool, calm and collected the entire fight. When was the last time we've seen that guy cool, calm and collected?
Imagine this guy against guys at 160. Hey, I already see that people think McGregor did well in this fight. If they put him in with GGG or Canelo and make Steven Smoger the ref, it could result in one of the worst beatings every distributed in boxing history.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:20 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
There's really no way he could perform UNDER expectations. Imagine Michael Jordan in his prime being challenged to one-on-one by a similar sized football player...would anyone stand a chance? Would they be doing good to even make 1 basket? What if Mike Trout was being challenged to a home run derby by Lebron James? Yeah, Conner and Floyd both fight, but the summit of both sports is probably worlds apart. I'll be shocked if there's a day when one person can be on top of MMA and boxing.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 AM

437 posts, read 336,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Joke of a fight. Mayweather to win, of course.
As a suspected, fix.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Imagine this guy against guys at 160. Hey, I already see that people think McGregor did well in this fight. If they put him in with GGG or Canelo and make Steven Smoger the ref, it could result in one of the worst beatings every distributed in boxing history.
Power in a boxing match and power from an MMA haymaker are very different things. You can neutralize someone's power by moving closer in and outside of the power hand. Of course, any experienced fighter won't allow you to do this, which is why boxers are constantly playing a game of footwork tug of war. Mayweather kept Conor's left hand at a range that was completely ineffective. It's like taking a full baseball swing compared to a 6 inch baseball swing. Which one do you think is more likely to result in a homerun?

Floyd was laughing during the fight because he knew there was no way McGregor could hurt him at close range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing