Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 11:05 PM

708 posts, read 928,888 times

Advertisements

I don't know how any list of great heavyweights can omit Lennox Lewis. IMHO he should be in the top five.
He was a very complete boxer, perhaps the best of the big men. He still has his marbles, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 01:23 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
This is mix of carrer achievements and head to head ability.

1.Muhammad Ali
2.Joe Louis
3.Mike Tyson
4.Jack Johnson
5.George Foreman
6.Larry Holmes
7.Sonny Liston
8.Evander Holyfield
9.Joe Frazier
10.Rocky Marciano

Would you chande anything? Post your lists.
Marciano is way too low, top 5 EASILY

Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,636,341 times
Quote:

1.Muhammad Ali
2.Joe Louis
3.Mike Tyson
4.Jack Johnson
5.George Foreman
6.Larry Holmes
7.Sonny Liston
8.Evander Holyfield
9.Joe Frazier
10.Rocky Marciano

There's a lot of room and reason for debate among the lower positions, but the important thing is that Muhammad Ali is at the top where he belongs.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:57 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,347,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesio View Post
I don't know how (relatively) strong Rocky Marcianos opponents were compared to other boxing eras, but the guy had a clean sheet of 49-0 and 43 of them by knock-out. Even if it was a weaker boxing era (post world war 2), it is still a impressing statistics and I personally would rate him under the top 5 or even top 3. That's just my opinion. He also holds the record for the longest undefeated streak by a heavyweight.
Marciano beat tomato cans, he beat an old Joe Louis, an aging Archie Moore, and and plenty of guys who had 25+ loses in the ring. Heavy weight boxers in his era averaged over 100 fights in their career (Archie Moore 219) and you mean to tell me Marciano only took 49 fights? Was he good sure, top 10, 5, or 3 hell no!

Old 10-02-2020, 12:57 PM

464 posts, read 200,398 times
Quote:

1.Muhammad Ali
2.Joe Louis
3.Mike Tyson
4.Jack Johnson
5.George Foreman
6.Larry Holmes
7.Sonny Liston
8.Evander Holyfield
9.Joe Frazier
10.Rocky Marciano

I agree with everybody on your list, but not the order. George Foreman NEVER got his rematch with Ali. Sure, now as an old man Foreman is humble about Ali. But....

Foreman would have absolutely MURDERED Ali in a rematch...I mean they would have had to stop the fight! It's no surprise Ali didn't want to fight him again. I would never put Ali ahead of Foreman on a GOATS list. And Foreman would have dropped Tyson like he did Frazier (although in a much later round). He would have dropped Jack Johnson too. Joe Louis I'm not too sure, Louis' right hand was a death sentence.

Last edited by 80sHorrorJunkie; 10-02-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
I agree with everybody on your list, but not the order. George Foreman NEVER got his rematch with Ali. Sure, now as an old man Foreman is humble about Ali. But....

Foreman would have absolutely MURDERED Ali in a rematch...I mean they would have had to stop the fight! It's no surprise Ali didn't want to fight him again. I would never put Ali ahead of Foreman on a GOATS list. And Foreman would have dropped Tyson like he did Frazier. He would have dropped Jack Johnson too. Joe Louis I'm not too sure, Louis' right hand was a death sentence.
Clearly, you don't understand the awesome breadth of Ali's skill and power....in and out of the ring. If Foreman was capable of "murdering" Ali, he would have done it the first time.

Did you ever see a live Ali fight? Most are too young. I'll never forget them as they were something to behold....and showed why Ali was in a class by himself.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There's a lot of room and reason for debate among the lower positions, but the important thing is that Muhammad Ali is at the top where he belongs.
I think that Prime Ali would have lost to Prime Tyson, just like Fraizer only he would have gotten more than a broken jaw. He very well could have lost to Joe Louis (watch that right!). And, he intentionally dodged a Foreman rematch. How come Ali got his rematches with Frazier, but wouldn't give Foreman one? Because he valued his life

The idea that Ali stands head and shoulders over ALL other fighters *who even had better records like Foreman, Louis, etc* is wrong. He is AMONG the goats, but he's not *the GOAT*. I put him at #3 and place Louis and Foreman ahead of him.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
I think that Prime Ali would have lost to Prime Tyson, just like Fraizer only he would have gotten more than a broken jaw. He very well could have lost to Joe Louis (watch that right!). And, he intentionally dodged a Foreman rematch. How come Ali got his rematches with Frazier, but wouldn't give Foreman one? Because he valued his life

The idea that Ali stands head and shoulders over ALL other fighters *who even had better records like Foreman, Louis, etc* is wrong. He is AMONG the goats, but he's not *the GOAT*. I put him at #3 and place Louis and Foreman ahead of him.
Think whatever you like.....

Old 10-02-2020, 03:17 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,480,488 times
Evander Holyfield was a prolific boxer in his own right.

1. Evander Holyfield (44-10-2, 29 KO’s)

Accomplishments: Managed to father at least 11 children despite suffering from hypo-gonadism (shrunken balls)

source

Old 10-02-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Clearly, you don't understand the awesome breadth of Ali's skill and power....in and out of the ring. If Foreman was capable of "murdering" Ali, he would have done it the first time.

Did you ever see a live Ali fight? Most are too young. I'll never forget them as they were something to behold....and showed why Ali was in a class by himself.
You want to stand by that argument? That's like saying Frazier was better than Ali because he beat him "the first time," And, yes he would have absolutely destroyed him which is WHY he never wanted to fight him again. He preferred to fight Fraizer like a bazillion times. He dodged a Foreman rematch, and you know it. By your argument Larry Holmes was also a better fighter, I mean he beat Ali too, right?

Nope!! BOTH Foreman (76-5) and Louis (66-3) were better fighters, more powerful, and had better records. Mr. Ali (56-5) gets goat spot number #3

Last edited by 80sHorrorJunkie; 10-02-2020 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing