U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,830,354 times

Advertisements

What are your lasting opinions of Mike Tyson's boxing career?

He was a phenomenal fighter in the early going, but spiraled out of control.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:44 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,413,038 times
I can barely recall most of his fights [though i did see a few] ... but the things that stand out in my mind when i hear his name are the headlines.... Biting off pieces of an ear, beating his wife, rape, bankruptcy, jail time .... just to name a few.

sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 PM

2,036 posts, read 6,276,772 times
Default Tyson

He will always be know as the youngest Heavyweight champ of all time! He also has a good run as champ, i believe from 1986 to 91. He destroyed all they put in front of him up until Buster Douglas.

Tyson got to big to fast, he had millions at like 20 years old. He also hated to train after a certain point. I used to watch him train here in Vegas. He would train very little for huge fights. His first fight with Holyfield was a great fight, of course he ruined himself with the bite fight though!

Last i heard is that he moved back to Las Vegas and might do some small fights for charity, something like that.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,413,038 times
On fight I recall, but barely because i didnt last long ... this was probably 22-23 yrs ago

I had just about got comfortable on the couch, and Bam, it was over with.
On of those 1 punch knockout fights .... and just recall talking [with the others in the room] about how the folks who probably paid hundreds for a ticket, were probably ticked that the fight was over so quickly..... THEY too pretty much just got seated.

Yea -- he was a great fighter ... too bad he didnt' handle it better. [the success i guess.]

Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 AM

10,535 posts, read 12,765,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
I can barely recall most of his fights [though i did see a few] ... but the things that stand out in my mind when i hear his name are the headlines.... Biting off pieces of an ear, beating his wife, rape, bankruptcy, jail time .... just to name a few.

sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Yeah, ear tastes nasty!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM

3,956 posts, read 5,146,261 times
Not even a top 10 heavyweight of all time.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:12 PM

170 posts, read 452,719 times
I would hate to be his wife. I mean, he kills them in the ring with gloves. She got beat around without them.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM

12,975 posts, read 31,724,757 times
He will be known as the most destructive force ever in the heavyweight division and one of the most miserable declines in sport history.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM

468 posts, read 1,567,289 times
In my heart, I really do feel bad for the guy.

He grew up without a father and he had a mother that needed to support 3 children. He had a lisp also (imagine growing up with that...), and without any guidance, he decided to take his anger out on others. The one male influence he did have (Don King) basically deserted him after making a few hundred thousand off of him, and so he remains alone in the world.

I agree he's done some dispicable things, but we have to look at reasons why he's done what he's done. I won't forgive him for doing what he's done because of his past, but at the same time, I think it does explain some...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM

12,975 posts, read 31,724,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
The one male influence he did have (Don King) basically deserted him after making a few hundred thousand off of him, and so he remains alone in the world.
Actually, his greatest male influence was Cus D'Amato and his wife who Mike Called Mom. After Cus died and Mike became champion, Don King came into his life and really help to ruin it. Mike was an adult by then and big enough to make his own decisions. Unfortunately, his greatest downfall was getting rid of his original trainer Kevin Rooney and dealing with King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing