U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2019, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
960 posts, read 397,957 times
Reputation: 1007

Advertisements

I want my kid to learn boxing, mainly for the purpose of having self-defense capabilities, not for competition or career.

I am a big fan of boxing notwithstanding.

I read that minimum age to start is 10, so here we are. The kid is interested too.

So how do we start? I have found a few gyms around my house. Do we just go and sign up? How much should I expect to pay? Is the class arrangement kind of similar to tennis lessons, as in either hire a coach for private lesson, or join a class?

I like to have some basic understanding before going in to talk to people. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,572 posts, read 24,651,482 times
Reputation: 36604
Little boy or little girl?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2019, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
960 posts, read 397,957 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Little boy or little girl?
Boy. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 AM
 
3,206 posts, read 3,605,632 times
Reputation: 4801
I learned a few boxing basics in an "old school" gym as a teen. In all honesty, I cannot say that what little I learned came in handy when I most needed it. What I learned in terms of stance, jabs, etc. went by the wayside the times I got into fights in my late teens/early 20's.

That being said, I recall the day my youngest daughter came home crying from school back in the 90's. She told me of a bigger girl who'd been picking on her for days. The problem was resolved by speaking to school staff about it. However, I determined to show my baby how to fight back should it ever happen again. From what little I had learned, I taught my baby how to throw a solid left handed punch with her bodyweight behind it. We practiced at home. I remember how my skinny little girl's punches began to sting after a few practices.

Unfortunately, from that moment on, my baby daughter began looking for fights. She aggressed girls and boys for the slightest reason. This pattern of behavior carried over into her late teens; that is, until the day she met her match. My skinny little baby girl got into a fight with a much bigger girl whom supposedly was high on crack. My baby girl got brutalized and wound up in the hospital. By then, I had grown tired of telling her to tone it down. This was the last straw. I had ran out of advice to give her. By then, the only thing I could tell my daughter was that I was prepared to attend her funeral if this behavior continued. She changed for the better and is now a "less feisty" woman.

In hind sight, I don't regret showing my daughter how to defend herself. However, if I had to do it over, I would definitely emphasize the importance of defending oneself when absolutely necessary versus at the slightest provocation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Redwood Shores, CA
960 posts, read 397,957 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I learned a few boxing basics in an "old school" gym as a teen. In all honesty, I cannot say that what little I learned came in handy when I most needed it. What I learned in terms of stance, jabs, etc. went by the wayside the times I got into fights in my late teens/early 20's.

That being said, I recall the day my youngest daughter came home crying from school back in the 90's. She told me of a bigger girl who'd been picking on her for days. The problem was resolved by speaking to school staff about it. However, I determined to show my baby how to fight back should it ever happen again. From what little I had learned, I taught my baby how to throw a solid left handed punch with her bodyweight behind it. We practiced at home. I remember how my skinny little girl's punches began to sting after a few practices.

Unfortunately, from that moment on, my baby daughter began looking for fights. She aggressed girls and boys for the slightest reason. This pattern of behavior carried over into her late teens; that is, until the day she met her match. My skinny little baby girl got into a fight with a much bigger girl whom supposedly was high on crack. My baby girl got brutalized and wound up in the hospital. By then, I had grown tired of telling her to tone it down. This was the last straw. I had ran out of advice to give her. By then, the only thing I could tell my daughter was that I was prepared to attend her funeral if this behavior continued. She changed for the better and is now a "less feisty" woman.

In hind sight, I don't regret showing my daughter how to defend herself. However, if I had to do it over, I would definitely emphasize the importance of defending oneself when absolutely necessary versus at the slightest provocation.
A martial art master once said, the best martial art is never having to use it...

So how much did you pay and how long did it take you to get to a stage where you can throw a solid punch? Did you have private tutor of group lesson?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2019, 02:22 PM
 
3,206 posts, read 3,605,632 times
Reputation: 4801
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
A martial art master once said, the best martial art is never having to use it...

So how much did you pay and how long did it take you to get to a stage where you can throw a solid punch? Did you have private tutor of group lesson?
The coach who ran the old school gym provided group sessions for beginners and one-on-one for his more polished prospects. It was a flat monthly fee for all who arrived. If I correctly recall, it was mandatory to show up a minimum of 3 times per week. He had me do lots of jump rope, hit the heavy bag, and run in place. To my recollection, it took just a few weeks to understand how to throw a punch with my bodyweight behind it. Unfortunately, I never got to spar. After a month, I was either told or realized - it was a very long time ago - that the coach was mostly interested in growing the skills of his most promising prospect. The rest of us were merely there to improve his promising prospect's skills. I walked away as a result. Still, what little I got out of the experience has stayed with me to this day. At almost 60 years of age, I still like throwing that right jab, left jab, right hook combination, slip back, ready to throw that left with my bodyweight behind it . . . just like I taught my baby daughter. She's a leftie like her dad.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2019, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,782 posts, read 28,713,022 times
Reputation: 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I still like throwing that right jab, left jab, right hook combination, slip back, ready to throw that left with my bodyweight behind it . . . just like I taught my baby daughter. She's a leftie like her dad.

I take it you mean a jab, cross, hook combination.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2019, 01:48 AM
 
10,189 posts, read 8,516,502 times
Reputation: 5234
I hope kids boxing has no head shots. But from what I have seen, they dont hold the kids back from head shots. Other martial arts that have full contact with no head shots include Kyokushin Karate, or even Tae Kwon Do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2019, 04:52 PM
 
794 posts, read 270,696 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I hope kids boxing has no head shots. But from what I have seen, they dont hold the kids back from head shots. Other martial arts that have full contact with no head shots include Kyokushin Karate, or even Tae Kwon Do.
That is what head gear and gloves are for. Boxing with just body shots would be very weird.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2019, 08:52 PM
 
10,189 posts, read 8,516,502 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
That is what head gear and gloves are for. Boxing with just body shots would be very weird.
Headgear and gloves dont prevent CTE. It mostly for cuts, and maybe bruises.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top