U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 AM

136 posts, read 89,339 times

Advertisements

He's the only 8 division world champion in boxing history, and his resume is absolutely insane.

Has he done enough to be considered a top 10 ATG?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 03:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 9,234,412 times
What’s your top 10? Doesn’t have to be in order...

Old 12-19-2019, 04:10 PM

9,215 posts, read 13,162,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
He's the only 8 division world champion in boxing history, and his resume is absolutely insane.

Has he done enough to be considered a top 10 ATG?
I will say this about Manny.

Considering his size and build, he was in my opinion, during his peak, as skilled and as well trained and toned of a boxing machine as there ever was.

Go back and watch the tapes of him taking out these bigger guys systematically, just tearing them apart round by round because he was too fast. And when I say too fast, they couldn't even do anything about it.

It's really hard to say who the best boxer is because their primes are so short, but at his prime, nobody was better than Manny in terms of skill, speed, and stamina.

I have no doubt Manny would have beaten Mayweather in both of their primes, but Mayweather's style is more condusive to a longer career and racking up more wins, so you could argue he was better.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:53 PM

376 posts, read 190,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I will say this about Manny.

Considering his size and build, he was in my opinion, during his peak, as skilled and as well trained and toned of a boxing machine as there ever was.

Go back and watch the tapes of him taking out these bigger guys systematically, just tearing them apart round by round because he was too fast. And when I say too fast, they couldn't even do anything about it.

It's really hard to say who the best boxer is because their primes are so short, but at his prime, nobody was better than Manny in terms of skill, speed, and stamina.

I have no doubt Manny would have beaten Mayweather in both of their primes, but Mayweather's style is more condusive to a longer career and racking up more wins, so you could argue he was better.
Agree with this. Not top 10, but top 5, surely

Old 01-18-2020, 05:30 AM

12,547 posts, read 8,039,019 times
The thing that amazes me about him is that he started at like a 4’11” 98lbs 16 year old.

I mean imagine seeing 98lb Manny all those years ago and knowing the same little guy would go on to beat up bigger men in many other heavier weight classes.

Manny got A LOT out of his physical attributes.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:31 PM

5,686 posts, read 7,191,394 times
Assuming that you mean all weight classes. Not sure if Pacquiao would make Top 10. Definitely worth consideration. That would be a difficult list to compile. Heavyweights would likely garner a lot of attention from many (including myself) and there's so many greats in the lower weight classes.

If only Bert Sugar were still alive to ask.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:14 AM

29,782 posts, read 28,713,022 times
I'd have to say no considering Mayweather often gets left off Top 10 lists. Maybe if we were talking about the greatest in our lifetime, but there have been a lot of legends in the long and storied history of boxing.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:24 AM

29,782 posts, read 28,713,022 times
The good thing about boxing is that there hasn't been a lot of tactical or technical innovation since the 1940s. So there's not as much of a "Nuh uh, you can't compare different eras" argument as you might get in basketball, football or even baseball. And even though athletes today have "superior" training methods and nutrition, the one thing boxing has that no other sport does, as Max Kellerman says, is the "100 point shot." All the nutrition in the world cannot improve the quality of your chin. Just ask Anthony Joshua.

While there's no doubt the 2018 Golden State Warriors would smoke the 1958 St. Louis Hawks, there's a lot of doubt about whether Terrence Crawford or Shawn Porter would smoke Jose Napoles or SRR. In fact, the smart money would likely be on the old school guys. Boxing is probably the only sport where athletes from 60-70 years ago aren't a tremendous disadvantage compared to the athletes of today.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 PM

475 posts, read 150,176 times
Steroids are whack

Old 01-21-2020, 09:00 PM

5,686 posts, read 7,191,394 times
Interesting list here. It's the all-time rankings (active and retired) from BoxRec. Not sure of the methodology for the points but they have Pacquiao ranked as #2 all time.
https://boxrec.com/en/ratings?InH%5B...atus%5D=&r_go=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing