Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times

Advertisements

Hopkins is a 3-1 underdog in this fight. Anyone think he's going to get beaten here?

Promises to be a damn good fight, with one wondering what father time has done to Hopkins' skills and whether the undefeated Calzaghe can beat him.
Any predictions or analysis? Hard for me to call this one because I don't know what Hopkins has left. I think Calzaghe is going to bring it though. Remains to be seen whether he can overcome Hopkins' strength, ring savvy, and conditioning. I believe Hopkins might be the naturally bigger man as well. I also don't know much about Calzaghe but he's smart and pretty versatile. Undefeated, but has he fought anyone like Hopkins?

The anticipation of the unknown is what makes these fights for me. Will Hopkins finally show hs age and get KOed? If he does get beaten how will it happen? Body shot? Will he get beaten up and quit? Will he show FEAR in the ring if he is outmatched? Will he get knocked down or hurt and how will he respond at his age? If he beats Calzaghe, this is the first time anyone has done it, so we'll get a chance to see how Calzaghe responds to being beaten. Is he a quitter? Can he take a punch? Will he get hurt and recover? Will he get KOed?

All intriguing questions I have coming up to this fight. This is what makes it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Calzaghe is no joke. He really is one of the best in the world right now and has been for the past 10 years. Bad thing is that other than Jeff Lacy and Mikkel Kessler, he hasnt faced anyone who is even remotely as good as Hopkins. It should be a good fight but I expect Hopkins to win by tko.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:58 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Calzaghe for me..Hopkins legs lasting out has to be a worry without anything else.
Early alarm call for me bout 3.30 am, but will be worth it . Don`t think it will be over too quick though. Calzaghe on points...

Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times
He doesn't stand a chance. De La Hoya can whoop this guy Calzaghe.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
If Calzaghe wins he will go down in history as the best European fighter other than Lennox Lewis. I like what Manny Steward said about Max Schmeling telling the Klitshkos that if you want to be taken seriously in the boxing world you must go to America and be successful. This is Calzaghe's first fight on American soil and its not an easy task taking on the Executioner.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Good job I set the alarm for 3 and not 3.30 eh ?? , I`d have missed Tom Jones!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 PM

Certainly not pretty and the way Hopkins only wanted to hold on I was fearful Calzaghe would come out of the ring pregnant!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
He doesn't stand a chance. De La Hoya can whoop this guy Calzaghe.
You were saying???

Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Good fight for Calzaghe.

I was of course rooting for Hopkins, but I have to give it to Calzaghe. He knew that Hopkins could not maintain the pace, and he kept the pressure on. I thought he clearly one, with Hopkins looking for a breather at times.

I thought the first low blow was borderline, but I give Hopkins the benefit of the doubt because the punch was down there and I wasn't in the ring. The second one though I couldn't see and Cortez was right for not calling it one. It was just Hopkins looking for a breather. I thought he was going to quit. Hopkins' age showed a bit tonight.

Good fight for Calzaghe!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 PM

In all seriousness I had Calzaghe the winner but I think the one judge scoring it 116--111 was a little overcooked. I`ve seen Calzaghe perform better, but then again Hopkins was maybe a little more classy than most Joe has fought, so fair play to Hopkins on that,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing