U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 PM

12,975 posts, read 31,748,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Force View Post
i was watching a live stream of the fight.

and i must say, b-hop is truly a boxing legend, beat a younger boxer, even at such an out of prime age of 43 years old.

the winner of calzaghe-jones faces hopkins...who you guys think it will win?
Calzaghe will KO Jones. If he decides to box Hopkins again, I think Hopkins will beat him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,842,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Their second fight was at a catch weight of 166 - six pounds heavier than their first fight.
My mistake. I read that wrong. They were heavier. Taylor still looked weaker. What the hell is your analysis of that fight, Tennessee? I see that you didn't have a clue about this one.

Nevertheless man, give me some props for my analysis of this fight for God's sake!

Old 10-19-2008, 12:33 AM

2,036 posts, read 6,280,799 times
Default Great call

You called it! Great boxing eye you have!! I loved it how Bernard smiled when Pavlik landed on his chin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This one is hard to call. One one hand, we have Hopkins. He's 43, well-conditioned in terms of being strong, but ever-conscious of conserving his energy because he doesn't have the reserves or the stamina for sustained action over a long fight. He's crafty, but not as versatile as he used to be. He may see openings but no longer able to take advantage. He relies on his opponent giving him opportunities to rest during rounds. He can outbox, outwait anyone, who allows him to get his breather when he needs it. Calzaghe didn't let this happen and won that fight, with Hopkins pretending he had been hit below the belt in order to get a breather. It was the first time I saw his limitations, stamina-wise. I think Hopkins underestimated Calzaghe, probably the first time he's ever underestimated a fighter think that no white fighter could beat him.

Pavilik looks like the ultimate overachiever. Tall with big feet, he looks like a big, rangy fighter. Good power, but he's not capable of taking you out with one shot. He beat Miranda who has respectable power, but was physically smaller, and has trouble with his stamina. He beat Taylor twice. The first fight, Taylor tagged him pretty good and knocked him down. He got up, adjusted, and pressed the action, wearing Taylor down. Taylor stamina also suspect and Pavlik outlasted him. In second fight, he and Taylor came in 5 pounds lighter than their first fight, and making this weight took much out of Taylor who looked thin and weak. Result? Pavlik too strong and Taylor (stamina already suspect) was beaten up to a 7th round stoppage.

I think Pavlik has the edge in stamina here. Hopkins will be looking for that breather during each round, but he's not going to get it. Pavlik is very willing to takes shots to get in his own and he will press Bernard. I also don't think Bernard has one-shot knockout power either, and it would take this to gain Pavlik's respect.

But this is at 170, not 160. This is Hopkins best weight. He beat a smaller Winky Wright at this weight... in NJ, near Hopkins home. Winky is a better defensive fighter than Pavlik, but doesn't have Pavlik's power. he beat a naturally bigger Tarver at 174. This fight also in NJ...where Pavlik knocked out Taylor. Pavlik has to come up in weight, to fight Hopkins who is probably a natural 170 lb fighter. Question is what will the added weight do for Pavlik? Give him more power? Make him slower? Reduce his stamina? Hard to tell. He has looked good against a depleted Taylor and a smaller Miranda and a bunch of overmatched no-names.

Edge to Hopkins because of the intangibles. He's at his best weight, fighting near his home, and fighting someone who fights like Tarver.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 AM

12,975 posts, read 31,748,701 times
That fight was the equivalent of Michael Jordan playing one on one basketball against a 5' 2" 12 year old.

He just laid the game plan for every other boxer out there to be able to beat Pavlik. Pavlik's weaknesses were terribly exposed. He really needs to get with a Manny Steward, Mayweather or Buddy McGirt. He's young and should be able to get better providing that he gets a better trainer.

Hopkins is the MAN.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,806,194 times
oh mang

is the fight on youtube?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,866,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
oh mang

is the fight on youtube?
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

download it, it's on high quality .

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM

4,016 posts, read 9,472,384 times
Seems like the homie Pavlik got his ass beat

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Calzaghe will KO Jones. If he decides to box Hopkins again, I think Hopkins will beat him.
Ok, you're being delusional right now.
Every boxing fan knows that calSLAPPY has no punching power.
he CAN beat roy but not by a KO.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Seems like the homie Pavlik got his ass beat
Pavlik got schooled & outclassed.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:17 PM

10,535 posts, read 12,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Force View Post
Ok, you're being delusional right now.
Every boxing fan knows that calSLAPPY has no punching power.
he CAN beat roy but not by a KO.
Great name for him. I've never seen a fighter at that level slap the way he does. He would be much better if he ever punched someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing