U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win?
De La Hoya UD/SD 2 33.33%
De La Hoya KO/TKO 2 33.33%
Pacquiao UD/SD 2 33.33%
Pacquiao KO/TKO 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:35 AM

12,975 posts, read 31,736,564 times

Advertisements

Im waiting to hear what Alexus has to say about this fight. He's been dead on with his last few predictions.

After seeing the weigh in yesterday I feel much more confident that Oscar is going to win. They both came in a 145lbs but Oscar looks sooooo much bigger than Manny.

I expect Oscar to hydrate back to about 155lbs - 160lbs by fight time and Manny will be at about 147-150. I think the only way Oscar can win is if he knocks Manny out. I believe that Manny's aggression and his pushing the pace of the fight will win the judges favor. Oscar is going to fight in spurts but will be very effective in doing so but will take a lot of blows on the chin while doing it.

If Oscar doesnt knock him out and pulls out a decision it would be the same as a loss. Secretly, I am hoping that Manny wins because Hatton wants to fight the winner of this fight and I get excited just thinking about a Paquiao/Hatton slugfest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 AM

2,036 posts, read 6,278,597 times
Default Fight

I'm going to a big fight party tonight! I see the early rounds exciting , but i still feel Oscar is to big, too strong. He also has that height & reach advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
THE DAY HAS ARRIVED! .

who's ready for tonight? .

Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,863,740 times
something tells me this is going to end in a split decision..

pacquiao has the same heigh as mosley, and mosley gave de la hoya HELL in both fights.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,048,935 times
pacquiao tko

Old 12-06-2008, 05:02 PM

14,323 posts, read 20,836,627 times
Default Manny by decision or late TKO

I've never been impressed with Oscar De La Hoya. He's always been more about marketing than substance. He hasn't fought at 147 since knocking out an easy to hit Arturo Gatti, seven years ago. Arturo showed in that fight not to be much of a boxer and his willingness to take shots (because of a faulty defense) made a knockout easy for Oscar. In his last fight against a younger, shorter Steve Forbes, he fought a very lackluster fight, unable to put away and look impressive against a washed-up Forbes. Forbes a mediocre talent. Manny is a southpaw too, and the last two southpaws that Oscar fought were at 147, Hector Camacho and Pernell Whitaker. These fights were 11 years ago! He outboxed a light-hitting Camacho, but many people thought he lost to a light-hitting Whitaker, including me. Oscar has a problem with two types of fighters: 1) Fighters who are stronger like Hopkins, Mosley, and Trinidad, and 2) Fighters who are faster and superior boxers like Mosley, Mayweather, and Whitaker. He looks better than he is against fighters who are easy to hit and easy to knock out (Vargas, Mayorga), and fighters who don't have his skill level (Forbes, Sturm, Castillejo, Coley). He has stamina problems and does his own brand of Hopkins-like posing to catch breathers during rounds. In fact, Oscar didn't want to fight Hopkins but the money was there. He quit in that fight. So much for pretending that it was going to be competitive.

Manny has fought and beaten fighters who were better boxers than Oscar (Barrera, Morales, and probably Juan Manual Marquez). With the exception of Barrera, these fighters were taller than Manny. Manny is younger, faster, and a better boxer than Oscar. He's better conditioned as well and used to fighting at a fast pace (like Calzaghe and Hatton). Oscar likes to take his time and get a breather (like Hopkins) because he's older. Oscar usually prevails against fighters who he has an advantage over, either in weight or skill. He had an advantage over Mayweather in weight, but not skill. Same with Manny. Age a factor as well. He "couldn't pull the trigger." Oscar's timing not what it used to be. Manny also a ferocious puncher and exceptionally intense and busy. I just don't think Oscar at 35 has much left. A young Oscar would put up a better fight. This Oscar is looking to give the appearance of being competitive, giving a good show, and not getting knocked out. Hence the weight and size advantage he wanted.

Manny prevails. Oscar doesn't have the power to knock him out or outbox him. Can't pull the trigger. All he can do is hope for a shot that catches Manny, a punch that Manny doesn't see. This could happen because Manny can be reckless. But it won't happen because Manny not as careless as Mayorga. Manny will be beating Oscar to the punch all night. Whether he has the power to put Oscar away is the big question because of his step up in weight. It's hard to knock Oscar out and I think he trained to avoid being knocked out. I say Manny by decision or TKO late when referee saves the fading Oscar from further punishment.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,863,740 times
Anyone watching the undercard fights?

i heard carl froch beat jean pascal

Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 PM

1,510 posts, read 4,409,056 times
Manny will win, he will out last Oscar.

So far he undercard fights have not been impressive.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,330,276 times
Oscar will win IMO.
15 mins left
Watching online

Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Manny prevails. Oscar doesn't have the power to knock him out or outbox him. Can't pull the trigger. All he can do is hope for a shot that catches Manny, a punch that Manny doesn't see. This could happen because Manny can be reckless. But it won't happen because Manny not as careless as Mayorga. Manny will be beating Oscar to the punch all night. Whether he has the power to put Oscar away is the big question because of his step up in weight. It's hard to knock Oscar out and I think he trained to avoid being knocked out. I say Manny by decision or TKO late when referee saves the fading Oscar from further punishment.
Damn dude!!! I need you to pick some lottery tickets for me. Another dead on prediction that came true.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 PM

At this point, I would be willing to pay $100 on PPV to see a Manny Paquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather fight. I would not pay for a Paquiao vs. Hatton ppv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing