Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times

Advertisements

Has the finding about Margarito's wraps changed your opinion of him?

I have always appreciated Margarito's aggressive style and toughness, and I really became a fan during the Cotto fight. The illegal wraps changes that for me.

It's obviously speculation, but I think he used illegal wraps against Cotto. He still demonstrated toughness by taking some big shots from Cotto, but I have doubts about the way he was able to break Cotto down. In hindsight, when Margarito lost to Paul Williams, he was coming on strong at the end of the fight, and Williams was tiring. Williams had not been battered to nearly the extent that Cotto had late in the fight. Now we find out that he had plaster in his wraps prior to the Mosley fight. I think that if you're going to decide to do that, you're more likely to do so in a fight that will make your career like the one against Cotto than you are to beat Cotto the way he did and then decide to introduce plaster against Mosley.

To me, this makes me question his performance against Cotto, and certainly makes me change my opinion of him as a person and a sportsman. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,746 times
I don't read much into it. You can pick just about any great boxer in history (not implying Marg is one of them) and find controversy about them cheating. In fact Ali and his corner were some of the biggest cheaters in boxing history. Ever heard of the Dundee rule?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Ever heard of the Dundee rule?
LOL!! Is that where they say that Angelo Dundee purposely damaged Ali's glove when he was fighting Burt Cooper to buy him some time after being hurt? Or is it from when Ali fought (I think Liston) and his opp corner put something on the gloves to burn the eyes?

I dont think Dundee damaged the gloves on purpose, they got damaged from the fight.

Margarito cheated, got caught, then went out where Mosley commenced to to kicking his a$$.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
Never was a margarito fan.
the only thing i respected was his chin.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times
Bleh, doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure most fighters cheat in one way or another.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
LOL!! Is that where they say that Angelo Dundee purposely damaged Ali's glove when he was fighting Burt Cooper to buy him some time after being hurt? Or is it from when Ali fought (I think Liston) and his opp corner put something on the gloves to burn the eyes?

I dont think Dundee damaged the gloves on purpose, they got damaged from the fight.

Margarito cheated, got caught, then went out where Mosley commenced to to kicking his a$$.

Ali didn't fight Bert Cooper, you must mean Henry Cooper.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Bleh, doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure most fighters cheat in one way or another.
True.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times
There is definitely some cheating by some fighters, and there are a lot of "tricks of the trade," but plaster in the wraps is a different thing to me.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

Yup, Cooper was kicking his a** and Dundee did purposefully damage the gloves.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:43 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
He must have a steel chin the way Cotto was hitting him in the face- I was sure the fight was going to be over in about 9 rounds. The thing about it Margarito wasn't even bleeding...wtf- call a medic and check this guy's grill and see if he has any metal in his mouth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing