Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

Good points Mongo! With so many sanctioning bodies and weight classes, the titles have become diluted. Now it means nothing unless you can unify the titles, which takes an act of God since we have so many corrupt promoters and managers in the business.

The cruiserweight division hasn't seen a good fight since Toney/Jirov in 2003. It's a shame that there couldn't be some big money fights in that class. Back in the days when Holyfield and Spinks ruled that division it was on fire. Today it's a joke, much like the HW division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Good points Mongo! With so many sanctioning bodies and weight classes, the titles have become diluted. Now it means nothing unless you can unify the titles, which takes an act of God since we have so many corrupt promoters and managers in the business.

The cruiserweight division hasn't seen a good fight since Toney/Jirov in 2003. It's a shame that there couldn't be some big money fights in that class. Back in the days when Holyfield and Spinks ruled that division it was on fire. Today it's a joke, much like the HW division.
Yeah you're right I shoud'nt bash the cruisers

Didn't Dwight Mohammed Quawi (not sure if I spelled that right) also fight as a cruiser?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:39 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Yes, formerly Dwight Braxton, he was as tough as they come and only stood about 5'6". Matthew Saad Mohammad and Eddie Mustafa Mohammad were very good cruisers too. Just to correct myself, Spinks greatness was at Lt. Heavy, but he fought several of the cruisers at Lt. Heavy and few at cruiser. It's too bad we never got to see Spinks vs. Holyfield at either of those weights, that would have been a great fight.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
[quote=Coolhand68;10157960]Yes, formerly Dwight Braxton, he was as tough as they come and only stood about 5'6". Matthew Saad Mohammad and Eddie Mustafa Mohammad were very good cruisers too. Just to correct myself, Spinks greatness was at Lt. Heavy, but he fought several of the cruisers at Lt. Heavy and few at cruiser. It's too bad we never got to see Spinks vs. Holyfield at either of those weights, that would have been a great fight.[/quote]

Sorry to the op for veering off topic but in all my years involved in boxing I never thought of that matchup.....wow!
!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
This is going to be a great fight!

I have Black friends and Mexican friends.

I'm going to tell you right now that I'm keeping my thoughts to myself about this fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing