U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM

5,494 posts, read 6,907,832 times

Advertisements

By Mark Vester

The rumors are out there again. A few weeks ago, there were rumors that Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, scheduled to take place at the catch-weight of 143/144-pounds [depending on who you ask], was going to get bumped to the full welterweight limit of 147. The weight changed was disputed by those who are close to the fight. Then the fight got pushed back due to an injury to Mayweather's rib and the new date of September 19 has been locked down.

Mayweather vs Marquez Bumped Up To 147-Pounds? - Boxing News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM

9,413 posts, read 19,303,580 times
Doesn't surprise me, Floyd wants every advantage he can get. He knows Marquez will do just about anything to seal this fight because it's the biggest purse he'll ever earn.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,742,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Doesn't surprise me, Floyd wants every advantage he can get. He knows Marquez will do just about anything to seal this fight because it's the biggest purse he'll ever earn.
I agree, but is that any different from Pacquio and freddie roach insisting that all of their fights are at a lower weight to gain an advatage, he fought de la hoya at 147, knowing full well that de la hoya is a natural @ 154, same with hatton and same with cotto

Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM

The difference is DLH didn't need that fight with Manny, it was his ego that signed that fight at 147. There is a difference between a fighter who stays at a certain weight class because that is his ideal class, as opposed to a fighter who calls other fighters out to his class. Manny isn't telling anyone to come get him, but he's smart enough to hold his ground where he belongs. Why should he put himself at a serious disadvantage? All the greats remained in one or two classes through their career...Hagler, Monzon, Griffith, Robinson, Pep, Armstrong, Ortiz and the list goes on.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 AM

178 posts, read 360,572 times
I would expect it with mayweather. Well, if he wins in a split decision then he doesn't deserved the title pound for pound for he is a fighting a small marquez far beyond his weight class.. To marquez I will expect his beautiful counter punches would land clean that may send pretty boy to the canvas..

Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,135,226 times
Quote:
The difference is DLH didn't need that fight with Manny, it was his ego that signed that fight at 147. There is a difference between a fighter who stays at a certain weight class because that is his ideal class, as opposed to a fighter who calls other fighters out to his class. Manny isn't telling anyone to come get him, but he's smart enough to hold his ground where he belongs. Why should he put himself at a serious disadvantage? All the greats remained in one or two classes through their career...Hagler, Monzon, Griffith, Robinson, Pep, Armstrong, Ortiz and the list goes on.
Nobody can talk smack on Manny for which weight class he fights in. He was 106 pounds when he started, now he's fighting around 142, name another top-20 P4P fighter who has gone up in weight more than 33% in his career.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 AM

Not talking trash about Manny, I'm saying when a fighter finds their ideal weight at any given stage of their career, they should stay there and let the competition come to them. Manny doesn't need Floyd to make big money fights, so he shouldn't go up another weight class to fight him. Every fighter peaks at a given weight class, I think Manny is at his peak right now.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM

178 posts, read 360,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Nobody can talk smack on Manny for which weight class he fights in. He was 106 pounds when he started, now he's fighting around 142, name another top-20 P4P fighter who has gone up in weight more than 33% in his career.

I agree. And judging from his performances from the beginning of his career he had well developed his skills and tactics.. I would still love to see marquez pacquiao fight.. but i cant also wait for the pacman vs pretty boy..

I dont know I just want to see who would be the best fighter..

Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,818,594 times
Quote:
Also remember there weren't as many weight classes when Sugar, Willie and Henry were fighting. Now you have 150 gazillion weight classes (light flyweight???) and 200 kazillion belts to haggle over.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,818,594 times
And don't get me started on "cruiserweight"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing