Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,595,800 times

Advertisements

Why do you people like boxing so much? I have absolutely no desire to see two people beat the hell of of each other! What is the attraction to this violence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:31 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
it's entertainment.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Why do you people like boxing so much? I have absolutely no desire to see two people beat the hell of of each other! What is the attraction to this violence?
I'm not a 'huge' boxing fan but I'll stay throw out an opinion... as much as don't like violence in the real world, I admire and respect their skill and courage in this entertainment venue. They are amazing athletes.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
When at it's best, you are witnessing two highly skilled and conditioned athletes, the best conditioned athletes of ANY sport, who are participating in a high stakes chess match of sorts. It takes a tremendous amount of conditioning, heart, determination and skill to make it to the top of the sport. It has been referred to as the sweet science, and it is just that, complete with strategies, instincts, reflexes and knowing how and when to punch, counter punch, duck, feint, jab, move on your feet properly, roll with a punch and to keep fighting forward through pain, exhaustion and sometimes fear. It is NOT a tough man competition, it requires a great deal of discipline, skill and conditioning.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
It's also a one on one sport, when things get tough there are no teammates to help pick up the slack, and no time-outs. It is the ultimate test of endurance and determination in sports.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 14,904 times
Smile The art of boxing

Some people just love seeing action or something that seems crazy to beat each other to a pulp. but if you think of it as a skill you can appreciate the sport. Just like war. As long as the planet has been, there has been war even though for the most part majority wants peace. So if there is going to be war there might as well be some skill involved.

I personally am a boxer and boxing trainer. I like the art of boxing, it provokes a lot of discipline, respect and is one of the best fastest ways to get in shape. I preferably don't like to get hit or take a pounding so I appreciate boxers who master skills of rolling with a punch, slipping, blocking, and avoiding as opposed to seeing who can take the best shot and be punch drunk for the rest of their lives.

James

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Edwards View Post
Some people just love seeing action or something that seems crazy to beat each other to a pulp. but if you think of it as a skill you can appreciate the sport. Just like war. As long as the planet has been, there has been war even though for the most part majority wants peace. So if there is going to be war there might as well be some skill involved.

I personally am a boxer and boxing trainer. I like the art of boxing, it provokes a lot of discipline, respect and is one of the best fastest ways to get in shape. I preferably don't like to get hit or take a pounding so I appreciate boxers who master skills of rolling with a punch, slipping, blocking, and avoiding as opposed to seeing who can take the best shot and be punch drunk for the rest of their lives.

James
Excellent post. Boxing is pure hand-to-hand combat by trained fighters. It's an art to fight with just your hands. This is why it's called the 'Sweet Science."

Old 07-25-2009, 01:20 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
When at it's best, you are witnessing two highly skilled and conditioned athletes, the best conditioned athletes of ANY sport, who are participating in a high stakes chess match of sorts. It takes a tremendous amount of conditioning, heart, determination and skill to make it to the top of the sport. It has been referred to as the sweet science, and it is just that, complete with strategies, instincts, reflexes and knowing how and when to punch, counter punch, duck, feint, jab, move on your feet properly, roll with a punch and to keep fighting forward through pain, exhaustion and sometimes fear. It is NOT a tough man competition, it requires a great deal of discipline, skill and conditioning.
Well put. I will add this: while there are many boxing matchs that can be dreadful to watch, there is no sport that -- when at it's best -- can match the drama of boxing. Only in boxing, can a superior stylist completely dominate another fighter and yet still lose by dramatic late rounds knockout. And unlike team sports, only boxing is one of the few that come to mind where an individual has to use his speed, strength, athleticism, will, and coordination to impose his will on his opponent. Tennis comes close, but there is something more pure about boxing to me--no racquet, no ball, no net. Think of all the boxing metaphors that have made their way into the lexicon. Down but not out. Pick yourself up off the mat. Beat the count. Took it on the chin. Knockout blow. Etc. I think it is a testament to the high drama and triumph of the human spirit that boxing at the highest level embodies.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 13,255 times
Default boxing

All that "highly-trained athletes, exciting sport" stuff notwithstanding, I still fail to understand the attraction of a "sport" where the goal is not to win points but is to inflict injury on another human being for the entertainment of others. The entire purpose of boxing is to render your opponent unconscious. You know, inflict a subdural hematoma. It, to me, is akin to hunting. Pointless, violent, barbaric.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
You do actually get points on Boxing
The goal is also to avoid injury and be able to surpress and wear your oponent down. Boxing is not as simple as hitting a dude, it is very complex sport when it wants to be and some people do find that hard to understand.
Hunting isnt pointless, violent and barbaric but that is another thread in another forum .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing