U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM

5,491 posts, read 6,890,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
By Mark Vester

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao finally agree on something - their fight will never get made under a 50-50 split. Pacquiao will demand a higher percentage of the money, and it seems that Mayweather will also demand more money. Mayweather returns on September 19 to face Juan Manuel Marquez at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. HBO PPV will televise. According to NY Newsday, Mayweather said Top Rank's Bob Arum is greedy for even thinking about a 50-50 split.
Mayweather Jr: "Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen At 50-50"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 12:11 PM

2,043 posts, read 6,298,748 times
This is why boxing is practically a dead sport! Its all about the money! Mayweather cares more for the cash then the sport! In boxing what do we get 2-3 big fights a year? This is why so many are leaning MMA!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,897,215 times
Big fights don't all have to be headliners that result in quick knockouts. That's MMA. To hell with MMA. This is the Boxing forum. It would be good to simply discuss Boxing here without someone from the MMA crowd coming here to do that tired comparison.

About this fight, this is negotiation. We who are not privy to the intricacies of the behind-the-scenes activity, should just watch it unfold. If the fight comes off, great. If not, there are thousands of good fights to watch. Nothing like watching hand-to-hand combat and great combat doesn't just come from the name fighters.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Big fights don't all have to be headliners that result in quick knockouts. That's MMA. To hell with MMA. This is the Boxing forum. It would be good to simply discuss Boxing here without someone from the MMA crowd coming here to do that tired comparison.

About this fight, this is negotiation. We who are not privy to the intricacies of the behind-the-scenes activity, should just watch it unfold. If the fight comes off, great. If not, there are thousands of good fights to watch. Nothing like watching hand-to-hand combat and great combat doesn't just come from the name fighters.
people have come here to correct silly statements liek this, thats it.
just like if the boxing guys when to the mma board and talked about how tired and boring boxing is, to watch 12-3 minute rounds of 2 guys pillow fighting.

dont want to talk mma vs boxing, dont bring it up. fair enough?

boxing "the sleepy science", thats the way i see it. boxing hasnt been worth watching sicne tyson bit off holyfields ear.

i will agree the great fights dont just come from big names.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Trust me I love a good boxing match, but with the way boxing is today, i had to compare it to MMA. Not that I believe MMA is superior. I miss the days of Hagler, Tyson, Chavez. It just seems that money is killing boxing, greed I guess?

Forget MMA for now.

But I just wish Mayweather would keep busy and fight the top guys like Mosely, Cotto, Pac-Man & Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 PM

Also where are all the good American Heavyweights? What happened? Seems like there are none!! All Russians!!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,737,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
This is why boxing is practically a dead sport! Its all about the money! Mayweather cares more for the cash then the sport! In boxing what do we get 2-3 big fights a year? This is why so many are leaning MMA!
Since when has it been about the sport? That is why they are called Prize fighters. I don't blame any boxer who is holding out for money, they take their lives in their hands for our enjoyment when they step in the ring. No question, it is about money.

And why the comparison to MMA? It seems that the MMA crowd was the WWE crowd five years ago (Hence Brock Lesnars popularity). MMA gives you blood and knockouts for those with short attention spans. Has anyone ever noticed at an MMA fight, the crowd starts booing if no one is knocked on their arse within like the first 30 seconds of the fight?

I am not knocking MMA, and if you like it cool as I like watching it sometimes too. But why bring down boxing because you don't appreciate the politics. Please beleive that Dana White has his own greedy politics going on behind the scenes, he and the fighters are just less vocal about it, especially since he is the biggest show in town right now.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM

9,413 posts, read 19,273,683 times
Manny is the champ, and so long as he holds a title, he should demand a bigger cut. Manny doesn't need Mayweather, he can get rich fighting Cotto or Mosley. Mayweather is painting himself into a corner by refusing a fight with Mosley (which would be a big PPV draw IMO) and making demands on weight and pay with Manny. All that's left for a decent payday after them is Margarito, Cintron, Williams, and possibly Berto, but Berto isn't exactly a household name right now and the other three will give him a tougher fight than he's willing to engage.

As for MMA, it has it's own audience and it is a seperate animal from boxing, the two shouldn't be compared or mentioned in the same thread.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,811,495 times
I agree with CoolRob...fighters have always bickered about the purse split but it usually gets worked out. Mayweather thinks he is the bigger draw just because he is undefeated. Pac man thinks he is because is the current P4P best.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 AM

9,413 posts, read 19,273,683 times
It's also a tactic used by fighters who really don't want to fight that opponent. They try to save face by claiming they couldn't come to terms on the money rather than look like cowards for avoiding tough opponents. Roy Jones was suspected of this throughout his career. He would demand a large percentage of the purse or a contract that no promoter would ever sign off on in order to avoid tough opponents. As big a fan as I was/am of Jones, his antics would frustrate me to no end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing