U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 AM

5,494 posts, read 6,903,037 times

Advertisements

At the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Floyd Mayweather Jr. (40-0, 25KOs) won an easy twelve round unanimous decision over Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5, 37KOs). Mayweather was too big, too strong, too fast and too good. The scores were 118-109, 120-107 and 119-108.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=22318
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,922,503 times
Great for Floyd. He was bigger and had many advantages. For his first fight after a layoff, it was smart to choose an opponent who would put up a good fight and never quit. Marquez still has my respect though. He was overmatched. Hope it was a good payday for him.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:47 AM

12,975 posts, read 31,874,173 times
Although I do like Mayweather, he didnt do anything in this fight to make me (or anyone) think of him as being in the likes of Hitman Hearns, Benitez, Leonard, etc.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,121,680 times
Hitman, etc?? I agree! Resounding, no way! First of, he selectively picks his opponents. Hitman took on everyone thats why he lost, he was not scared of anyone. Plus, Mayweather is not that type of fighter, very limited power. It might be safe to say Hearns could takeout a Heavyweight, crazy power. Mayweather is a pure boxer with superior defensive skills; probably the best ever.

For last night's: At first, I fell for the initial promo's but the picture togethor spoke volumes. Mayweather was way bigger and faster so this had mismatch written all over it. Matter of fact, the ESPN highlights makes the size difference look even more dramactic. Marquez is awesome is his own division so stay there.

I do not want to see him fight Pacman, another blowout. Marquez is about the same size as Pacman that means another mismatch. I want to see him fight someone, stop being selective and careful. Enough! We all know he is the best boxer out there. I want to see him fight someone who can throw bombs, like Cotto or Shane M or someone who can punch.

This fight highlights several reasons why Boxing is losing money to the MMA. Boxer's stage the fight by selecting the perfect opponent while MMA fighters take on everyone. MMA, this past week, I saw 2 big time names fighting, ON CABLE, no PPV, on a WEEKDAY! Another point, MMA fighters usually have a mark in the lose column (because they fight everyone) while boxers allow promoters to stage the environment fight after fight. I am sorry to highjack this post but as a boxing fan I am tired of the scam fights. When need to bring back the old school fighters. My opinion, this boxing era compares to baseball 's steriod era.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM

9,413 posts, read 19,294,729 times
Great post jbub22! I'm also tired of fighters getting to choose who they will fight at a whim. Fighters like Mayweather are now permitted to tailor pick their opponents, never really putting anything on the line. Mayweather played it safe once again, choosing a smaller, slower, older opponent with a household name. His excuse for not fighting Shane Mosley was that Shane had four losses and wasn't a big PPV draw, yet he makes a fight with Marquez who had four losses going into the fight and wasn't a huge PPV draw either. Floyd is too concerned with his imag and duping the casual boxing fan into thinking he's greater than he really is, in that regard he's a great marketer.

Can he beat Manny, well if he employs his pot shot and run method of fighting I suppose. But for my money he makes for a boring fight. At least Pernell Whitaker stayed put and made you miss with expert head movement while countering on the inside. Mayweather is no Whitaker, and I was never a big fan of Whitaker either. If he can beat Mosley, Margarito, Williams, or even Cintron, I'll start paying him some respect, but that'll be difficult given his "careful" style of fighting. Last night's fight was a joke, and had that been a prime Roberto Duran in there (like the one that beat Leonard), Floyd would have been on his back. He is nowhere in the same league as Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, Duran or even Palomino, these real fighters would have blasted him through the ropes and exposed him for the fraud that he is, him and his coke head uncle and father.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Hitman, etc?? I agree! Resounding, no way! First of, he selectively picks his opponents. Hitman took on everyone thats why he lost, he was not scared of anyone. Plus, Mayweather is not that type of fighter, very limited power. It might be safe to say Hearns could takeout a Heavyweight, crazy power. Mayweather is a pure boxer with superior defensive skills; probably the best ever.

For last night's: At first, I fell for the initial promo's but the picture togethor spoke volumes. Mayweather was way bigger and faster so this had mismatch written all over it. Matter of fact, the ESPN highlights makes the size difference look even more dramactic. Marquez is awesome is his own division so stay there.

I do not want to see him fight Pacman, another blowout. Marquez is about the same size as Pacman that means another mismatch. I want to see him fight someone, stop being selective and careful. Enough! We all know he is the best boxer out there. I want to see him fight someone who can throw bombs, like Cotto or Shane M or someone who can punch.

This fight highlights several reasons why Boxing is losing money to the MMA. Boxer's stage the fight by selecting the perfect opponent while MMA fighters take on everyone. MMA, this past week, I saw 2 big time names fighting, ON CABLE, no PPV, on a WEEKDAY! Another point, MMA fighters usually have a mark in the lose column (because they fight everyone) while boxers allow promoters to stage the environment fight after fight. I am sorry to highjack this post but as a boxing fan I am tired of the scam fights. When need to bring back the old school fighters. My opinion, this boxing era compares to baseball 's steriod era.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM

11,340 posts, read 18,775,746 times
I honestly thought he was gonna lose with that big mouth of his.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM

well i guess his ''big mouth of his'' will continue to run until someone shuts him up in the ring .

Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM

178 posts, read 360,460 times
It was a devastating lose for marquez..but he has my admiration for not giving up until the end..knowing that he will lose he remained focus and gave everything he has.. what I want right now is the fight between floyd and shane.. If manny will be able to defeat cotto then a fight with floyd will be good... but if manny fails then a fight with floyd would be a mismatch ...

Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,741,228 times
I have a sneaking suspicion that Pac will also soon lose his star power. Cotto will dominate Pac, just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing