U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,128,432 times

Advertisements

At the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Manny Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38KOs) made history by winning his seventh world title in his seventh weight division by punishing Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27KOs) and stopping him in the twelve round to capture the WBO welterweight title and the WBC Diamond belt.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=23468
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:33 AM

14,320 posts, read 21,471,778 times
Great for Pacman! He is a true fighter from the old school. Dedicated, humble, well-prepared. I become a bigger fan of his with each fight. Great win for him!

So refreshing to see such a fighter, instead of Roy Jones' rap entrances and clowning against vastly inferior opposition. Now I wonder if Floyd Mayweather will for Pacman?

Old 11-15-2009, 03:44 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,807,202 times
wow the mauling that ensued was beyond comprehension, lets hope that floyd and pac can work negotions out, this will be the fight to see, if Floyd ducks this one I will admit he is scared, and I am one of Floyd biggest supporters on here

But Cotto did not do what his corner told him to do, just like hatton

Everybody wants to just "knock" the smaller pac out, and it doesn't happen that way

Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 AM

12,975 posts, read 32,592,919 times
I truly believe, that we are witnessing the second coming of Sugar Ray Robinson. There will never be another SRR, but damn, this guy is close. Kinda like they said there will never be another Michael Jordan, then LeBron came along and people say he could be even better. Its like that with Pacman.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:17 AM

9,905 posts, read 19,849,481 times
Manny reminds me of a faster and more intense Roberto Duran when he was in his prime. I knew he'd dominate Cotto, I just didn't think he'd make it look so easy. Cotto's corner didn't give him any tactical advice and like Freddie Roach stated, they are green and inexperienced. Cotto couldn't improvise or adapt, he's too one dimensional. I respect his heart and I really like him as a fighter, but he was clearly outclassed. No shame in that, we're talking about the P4P best fighter in the business right now.

For mega-events like this, they should find some better undercards though. The preliminaries were just awful.

I don't think Floyd will fight Manny, and if by some miracle he does, I don't think it will be a very entertaining fight. Floyd will have his rollerskates on and demand a big ring that he can run laps around while in retreat and sneaking in pot shots. Manny will have to chase Floyd around the ring like he did Cotto in the last couple of rounds. That's one thing Manny needs to work on, learning how to cut the ring off a little better, especially if he fights Floyd. If Floyd dodges him, I would like to see the winner of the Mosley/Berto fight take on Manny.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 PM

3,473 posts, read 4,048,536 times
I was truly convinced Cotto would be able to defeat Pacquiao. I was amazed to see how Manny defeated him. Manny is the greatest boxer of our generation. Congrats!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,128,432 times
pac/floyd ain't never happening, floyd is way too greedy.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 PM

1,575 posts, read 6,110,080 times
Floyd will demand a 50/50 purse split. I think if he comes down from the clouds and realizes that Pac is the star attraction and that he will still make a ton of money with a 40 or 45 percent cut, the fight can be made. Mayweather only fights people everyone KNOWS he can beat (Marquez, Baldomir, Gatti, Sharmba Mitchell, the list goes on and on). Pac has fought three consecutive guys that MANY people figured would beat him and he stopped every one of them. Simply amazing. Mayweather cares about a stupid undefeated record. Pacquiao cares about greatness. That is what separates the two fighters and that is the reason that I think Pac goes down in the record books as a better all-time fighter, even if Mayweather were to squeak out a close decision against pacman in the future.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,797,215 times
Default top respect for Pacquiao

Pacquiao is truly a great athlete- his strong faith marks him as a great man. Everyone can learn from this man that walks in the graces of god.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,807,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Floyd will demand a 50/50 purse split. I think if he comes down from the clouds and realizes that Pac is the star attraction and that he will still make a ton of money with a 40 or 45 percent cut, the fight can be made. Mayweather only fights people everyone KNOWS he can beat (Marquez, Baldomir, Gatti, Sharmba Mitchell, the list goes on and on). Pac has fought three consecutive guys that MANY people figured would beat him and he stopped every one of them. Simply amazing. Mayweather cares about a stupid undefeated record. Pacquiao cares about greatness. That is what separates the two fighters and that is the reason that I think Pac goes down in the record books as a better all-time fighter, even if Mayweather were to squeak out a close decision against pacman in the future.

See, I take nothing away from Pac, he is a great fighter, but this right here is incorrect, outside of Cotto, Maywhether has already defeated the last four fighters that Pac man fought, I like, how out of all of Floyds fights, you picked some of the worst opponents, BTW Gatti, Marquez and even Baldomir were no slouches, get real

And I don't think Floyd should settle for anything less than 50/50 split, he is the champ, name any other sport where the champ takes less than the challenger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing