U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,512 posts, read 7,049,969 times
Reputation: 3555

Advertisements

By Mark Vester

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is ready and willing to fight the recognized pound-for-pound king, Manny Pacquiao. The entire boxing world is calling for the fight and Mayweather is ready to make it. During a recent interview with Sky Sports, Mayweather baited the Filipino champion by telling him to "step up to the plate" if he really wants a fight. He downplayed Pacquiao's skills by calling him a "one-dimensional" fighter.

"If he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather all he has to do is step up to the plate. The thing is with Pacquaio I don't see any versatility as a fighter; he's a good puncher but just one-dimensional," Mayweather said.

Mayweather Ready To Fight "One-Dimensional" Pacquiao - Boxing News
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,744 posts, read 19,652,182 times
Reputation: 19093
By step up to the plate I think he means "take a smaller cut of the purse and I'll fight you".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 9,110,229 times
Reputation: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
By step up to the plate I think he means "take a smaller cut of the purse and I'll fight you".

LMAO, motor mouth will find a way to back out and try to save face by making it sound like pacman or his people did something.

and by one dimensional does he mean he is just a boxer? i mean boxing is just one dimension of fighting. (lmao ok so i am a MMA is better then boxing guy)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,786,148 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
By step up to the plate I think he means "take a smaller cut of the purse and I'll fight you".
So Floyd should split 65/35 like Cotto, come on now!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,744 posts, read 19,652,182 times
Reputation: 19093
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
So Floyd should split 65/35 like Cotto, come on now!
Nope, I think 50-50 is fair. However, I think Floyd will demand a 60-40 split in his favor. Keep in mind, it's not about the money with Floyd. He uses outrageous purse splits to avoid fights he doesn't want to fight, same method Roy Jones used. Why do you think he fights guys like Hatton or Gatti? It's the most money for the least risk. He could have fought guys like Margarito, Cotto, and Williams for the same money but the risk was too great for him.

If Floyd was smart, he'd realize that the fans would appreciate him a lot more if he took a tough fight and lost, rather then duck the best opponents. If he were to fight Mosley, Margarito or Manny and lose, at least fans would appreciate him stepping up. Somehow I think he will realize this late in his career and end up like Jones, trying to seal his legacy when he's already past his prime.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,786,148 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Nope, I think 50-50 is fair. However, I think Floyd will demand a 60-40 split in his favor. Keep in mind, it's not about the money with Floyd. He uses outrageous purse splits to avoid fights he doesn't want to fight, same method Roy Jones used. Why do you think he fights guys like Hatton or Gatti? It's the most money for the least risk. He could have fought guys like Margarito, Cotto, and Williams for the same money but the risk was too great for him.

If Floyd was smart, he'd realize that the fans would appreciate him a lot more if he took a tough fight and lost, rather then duck the best opponents. If he were to fight Mosley, Margarito or Manny and lose, at least fans would appreciate him stepping up. Somehow I think he will realize this late in his career and end up like Jones, trying to seal his legacy when he's already past his prime.
Im curious...Who in the fight game does not do what you are suggesting? EVERYONE ducks fights, and EVERYONE pads their stats by taking on easy opponents or "washed up" champs, or lessr competition

Please don't say Pacquiao, the first half of his career was padded victories, hell even Muhamad Ali fought a few Bobby Londons in his day

Every now and then their is a Paul Williams, James Toney or Winky Wright (who can't get a decent fight for nothing), but for the most part most fighters coast by until they get a title shot, or there name starts ringing
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,744 posts, read 19,652,182 times
Reputation: 19093
Every fighter is going to have a few fights here and there where they take a breather or use them as a tune-up, but typically that's done after a long layoff or in between tough fights. In Mayweather's case, from the time he fought Castillo to the time he fought Judah, there were six fights against sub-par opponents he knew could beat. After the Judah fight, three of his four fights were against opponents who posed no risk. I actually scored the De La Hoya fight for Oscar (115-113), and many people felt he got a gift in a fight where he never engaged his opponent and Oscar had to do all the work. Same with Castillo. His biggest legitimate win came against Diego Corrales almost 9 years ago. For a guy of his ability and skill, he should have been fighting the best of the best in each weight class, but somehow guys like Stevie Johnston, Mosley, Casamayor, Freitas, Margarito, Tszyu, Williams, Cotto, Wright, and a handful of other tough opponents never got signed. He has been carefully brought along, and if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. You can't do that by fighting a dozen mediocre fighters in your prime.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,786,148 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Every fighter is going to have a few fights here and there where they take a breather or use them as a tune-up, but typically that's done after a long layoff or in between tough fights. In Mayweather's case, from the time he fought Castillo to the time he fought Judah, there were six fights against sub-par opponents he knew could beat. After the Judah fight, three of his four fights were against opponents who posed no risk. I actually scored the De La Hoya fight for Oscar (115-113), and many people felt he got a gift in a fight where he never engaged his opponent and Oscar had to do all the work. Same with Castillo. His biggest legitimate win came against Diego Corrales almost 9 years ago. For a guy of his ability and skill, he should have been fighting the best of the best in each weight class, but somehow guys like Stevie Johnston, Mosley, Casamayor, Freitas, Margarito, Tszyu, Williams, Cotto, Wright, and a handful of other tough opponents never got signed. He has been carefully brought along, and if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. You can't do that by fighting a dozen mediocre fighters in your prime.

And who really did give these guys a shot? Margarito got ducked by just about everyone, and returned the favor by ducking Paul Williams for a rematch....He never gave Shane or Cotto a shot until after P. Williams exposed him, and even then he probably was cheating all along, and was damn near exposed by Clottey. And further more, if your a cheater how does he even have a place in this discussion, he is an effing cheater!

Stevie Johnston, well he got exposed by Castillo who Maywhether gave a shot too and dominated (twice, I might add), forgot about him? Maywhether beat him both times and he was no slouch, he had a series of WARS with Corrales

Tszyu/Casamayor, well Floyd would have probably beat both of them anyway, and it would have been considered an easy victory from the arm chair/monday morning quarterback crowd, it would have been no diffrent then what Hatton did to Tsyu, and what Marquez did to Casamayor. Bottom line, they would have been discounted as slouches in this discussion

Paul Williams and Winky Wright, I will admit Floyd ducked these characters, but so did the rest of boxing! They were not worth the danger for the money, and especially after what Winky did to Shane, I think he was blackballed for a few years as a result of that whipping, that is the business of boxing

Mosley, I still believe it was Mosley who ducked Maywthether, but I have my opinion, and you have yours. And I also reallyyy respect Shane, he fought some of the best, Vernon Forrest, Oscar dela hoya, Winky Wright, Cotto and lost/won to the best. That doesn't mean that he didn't cherry pick a few either (Mayorga, Fernando Vargas twice, etc). However IMO, that fight is really about 5 years too late, would have been nice, but do we really want to see that at this stage, if PBF won, most would likely say Shane is over the hill anway

I disagree that PBF was held by his hand, Jermain Taylor yes. Roy Jones, yes. Ricky Hatton, yes. Hell, even Joe Calzaghe, maybe. But PBF, nahh
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,744 posts, read 19,652,182 times
Reputation: 19093
The first of Floyd's win's over Castillo was a clear robbery. All of the HBO analysts agreed, and at that time, Floyd was under contract with HBO, so it's rare that the entire team would score against their own fighter. I also had De La Hoya 115-113 over Floyd in a fight that could have possibly gone either way. De La Hoya did all the chasing and Floyd ran and pot shotted his way to victory, yawn! Johnston was never exposed, he was avoided by many fighters including Floyd because he as a very slick and skilled southpaw. At that time Floyd's dedication and work ethic was under scrutiny because he was too busy thugging it with his homey's and in trouble with the law to keep himself focused on boxing and he ducked a lot of opponents like Freitas, Casamayor and Johnston, all of whom had a legitimate shot at beating him.

Margarito didn't duck Williams for a rematch, since when does the loser of a fight stand accused of ducking the winner for a rematch? He moved on to bigger and better things for more money. A rematch with Williams could always be on the table after he pursued other fights. Margarito lost to Williams, so the pressure would not be on Margarito to fight him again.

As to the cheating of Margarito, well, how about Floyd using an illegal painkiller to numb his hands because of his ongoing hand injuries? Forget that? BY your account, cheaters don't stand a place in this discussion. Cheating is nothing knew in boxing unfortunately. How do you think Ali won some of his biggest fights? Of course he as a charismatic fair-weather fan media favorite and revived the public's interest in boxing, so no one was going to pull his license. Aaron Pryor cheated against Arguello, and dozens of boxers have popped positive for illegal substances to include Floyd.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,786,148 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The first of Floyd's win's over Castillo was a clear robbery. All of the HBO analysts agreed, and at that time, Floyd was under contract with HBO, so it's rare that the entire team would score against their own fighter. I also had De La Hoya 115-113 over Floyd in a fight that could have possibly gone either way. De La Hoya did all the chasing and Floyd ran and pot shotted his way to victory, yawn! Johnston was never exposed, he was avoided by many fighters including Floyd because he as a very slick and skilled southpaw. At that time Floyd's dedication and work ethic was under scrutiny because he was too busy thugging it with his homey's and in trouble with the law to keep himself focused on boxing and he ducked a lot of opponents like Freitas, Casamayor and Johnston, all of whom had a legitimate shot at beating him.

Margarito didn't duck Williams for a rematch, since when does the loser of a fight stand accused of ducking the winner for a rematch? He moved on to bigger and better things for more money. A rematch with Williams could always be on the table after he pursued other fights. Margarito lost to Williams, so the pressure would not be on Margarito to fight him again.

As to the cheating of Margarito, well, how about Floyd using an illegal painkiller to numb his hands because of his ongoing hand injuries? Forget that? BY your account, cheaters don't stand a place in this discussion. Cheating is nothing knew in boxing unfortunately. How do you think Ali won some of his biggest fights? Of course he as a charismatic fair-weather fan media favorite and revived the public's interest in boxing, so no one was going to pull his license. Aaron Pryor cheated against Arguello, and dozens of boxers have popped positive for illegal substances to include Floyd.

Show me one run in Floyd had with the law back then, I am not talking about his "homeboytourage", I am talking about him. Floyd was never a big legal troublemaker. He recently had a a gun issue, but once again that was not him directly. Maybe you are thinking of his uncle Roger . And since when were boxers saints anyway? If you want to argue his work ethic fine, but too busy to fight because of legal troubles, nahhhhh

I disagree about whether he lost or not to Castillo and De la hoya, but you know what they say about opinions, besides he officially WON the fights, and gave Castillo a second shot because of the criticism. You mean to tell me Castillo got robbed twice?

I think he would have steamrolled Freitas, Casamayor and Johnston, and I still think if he fought and won, you would be saying they were not "true" opponents, and how come he didn't fight _____, you see what I'm saying, some poepel dislike PBF so much that it defies reason(not that is hard to dislike him, the arrogance, the greed, etc), but really, I don't ever remember those three guys ringing anybodies bells, and if they were, how come they are not top contenders now? They are all about the same age, they should be in the P4P ranking too?

Pleaseeeee, show me proof or even a serious allegation regarding Floyd cheating, his work ethic is sick, I am not saying he wasn't doping or popping pills, just show me any proof, or even the legitimate allegation from a governing boxing body. The most I am willing to say is that he may have come in a few pounds overweight on some earlier fights, but hell, name a boxer who doesn't? Cutting weights is no joke

Margarito was proven to be a cheater, and Shane Mosley admitted to doping, I have never even heard about PBF cheating w/ perfomance enhancers/steroids/whatever, sorry, good try but no sale

And Margarito had a rematch clause with Paul Willliams, that he chose to ignore to fight the much smaller Kermit Cintron, if that is not ducking, please tell me what is, the only reason he rematched Clottey was because he had to

Last edited by cool rob; 11-19-2009 at 10:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top