Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times

Advertisements

Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, flew to the Phillippines to present the terms to Pacquiao for approval. If there are no complications, the fight is scheduled to take place on March 13 and the fighters will weigh in at 147lbs. This matchup, should it take place, is projected to be the highest grossing Pay Per View boxing match in history.

At This Hour 3pm ET: Iverson Signs, Brady Moving On, Mayweather Agrees - SportsCenter.com

Report: Manny Pacquiao - Floyd Mayweather bout nearly set

So much for Mayweather is going to duck and dodge Pac man and find an excuse to not fight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 9,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, flew to the Phillippines to present the terms to Pacquiao for approval. If there are no complications, the fight is scheduled to take place on March 13 and the fighters will weigh in at 147lbs. This matchup, should it take place, is projected to be the highest grossing Pay Per View boxing match in history.

At This Hour 3pm ET: Iverson Signs, Brady Moving On, Mayweather Agrees - SportsCenter.com

Report: Manny Pacquiao - Floyd Mayweather bout nearly set

So much for Mayweather is going to duck and dodge Pac man and find an excuse to not fight
If these contracts are actually signed, this is the best news I've heard in a long time. Boxing might finally quiet all that BS about how it's dead and how MMA is better. It will be an epic fight, Pacquiao's aggression against Mayweather's aggressive avoidance of being hit. Nobody finds ways to hit cleanly better than Pacquiao, and nobody finds better ways to avoid being hit than Floyd Mayweather, so it will be the ultimate "offense-defense" matchup. I can't wait.

BTW, this month is an amazing month for boxing fans.
Just this week we have fights on Versus tonight and Thursday night (even though the results of tonight's fight are already known), Showbox (with Tyrone Brunson and Chris Avalos being featured) and Telemundo on Friday night and far too many fights to name on Saturday.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugilistIntellectual View Post
Boxing might finally quiet all that BS about how it's dead and how MMA is better.
Actually I think boxing has answered the call and stepped up in the last two or three years and making the fights that the fans want to see. Matter of fact, I'd say the hype has died down some with MMA/UFC. Many of these guys have been exposed as the inferior fighters that they are. They hype guys like Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesner for their size, strength and image, but they are more flash than substance. Boxing always has and always will be the real deal. I thank MMA/UFC for rising in popularity and slick marketing, because it forced boxing to step up and make better and more competitive fights.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM

31 posts, read 23,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Actually I think boxing has answered the call and stepped up in the last two or three years and making the fights that the fans want to see. Matter of fact, I'd say the hype has died down some with MMA/UFC. Many of these guys have been exposed as the inferior fighters that they are. They hype guys like Kimbo Slice and Brock Lesner for their size, strength and image, but they are more flash than substance. Boxing always has and always will be the real deal. I thank MMA/UFC for rising in popularity and slick marketing, because it forced boxing to step up and make better and more competitive fights.
Good point. MMA is all hype, nearly every article the day after an MMA fight is about how it was disappointing and how one of the people failed to live up to expectations.

Notice how most MMA fans are white people? I think it's because they gave up rooting for fighters of other races and decided that MMA was better because average lower-class white people from Trailer Parks actually have a title chance.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentFuturama View Post
Good point. MMA is all hype, nearly every article the day after an MMA fight is about how it was disappointing and how one of the people failed to live up to expectations.

Notice how most MMA fans are white people? I think it's because they gave up rooting for fighters of other races and decided that MMA was better because average lower-class white people from Trailer Parks actually have a title chance.
Wow how racist.

I am white and watch boxing cheering for Mayweather guess that goes against what you said

Some just like more violence nothing to do with race

Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Wow how racist.

I am white and watch boxing cheering for Mayweather guess that goes against what you said

Some just like more violence nothing to do with race
It was actually Mayweather who initially made that racist remark in regard to whites and MMA, funny though, not one analyst or announcer called him on it though. Bob Arum accused the MMA fighters of being gay, which was just outrageous.

I see lot's of white fans cheering for Kimbo Slice and Rampage Jackson, so I'm not so sure it's a race thing. I think the fans that are attracted to UFC/MMA are the martial arts and collegiate wrestling crowd that never felt at home with boxing.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,045 times
Wow, this is good the hear, we shall see who is the real champ, and who is hype

Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 PM

408 posts, read 723,517 times
finally.... though I'll wait until they start promoting it before I start getting excited.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,081,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentFuturama View Post

lmao this is laughable.
i try to leave you boxing apologists to your boxing board but this is just down right funny.

trailer park white fighters? like rich franklin? who has a math degree, and was a teacher? or how about cro cop? he was an anti-terrorist police officer and a member of croatian parliament. amir sodallah was a surgical technologist. houston alexaner was a radio DJ, and is still a rapper (hip hop artist, but us white boys dont like them black guys). forrest griffin was a cop. three of the TUF 10 fighters are former NFL players. randy couture spent 6 yrs in the army and was an olympic alternate.

here how many boxers can boast edumacationin like the mma guys?
Jeff Monson - PhD in Psychology
Terry Martin - studying to be a PhD in Psychology
Rich Franklin - masters in education, bachelor's in mathematics
Carlos Newton - pre-medicine and is a linguist
Chuck Liddell - bachelor's degree in accounting
Tank Abbott - Bachelors in History.
Roger Huerta - working on his masters right now
Randy Couture - degree in german

boxing fans MUST feel threatened by MMA to always continue to make excuses and call mma fighters names so to speak.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
lmao this is laughable.
i try to leave you boxing apologists to your boxing board but this is just down right funny.

trailer park white fighters? like rich franklin? who has a math degree, and was a teacher? or how about cro cop? he was an anti-terrorist police officer and a member of croatian parliament. amir sodallah was a surgical technologist. houston alexaner was a radio DJ, and is still a rapper (hip hop artist, but us white boys dont like them black guys). forrest griffin was a cop. three of the TUF 10 fighters are former NFL players. randy couture spent 6 yrs in the army and was an olympic alternate.

here how many boxers can boast edumacationin like the mma guys?
Jeff Monson - PhD in Psychology
Terry Martin - studying to be a PhD in Psychology
Rich Franklin - masters in education, bachelor's in mathematics
Carlos Newton - pre-medicine and is a linguist
Chuck Liddell - bachelor's degree in accounting
Tank Abbott - Bachelors in History.
Roger Huerta - working on his masters right now
Randy Couture - degree in german

boxing fans MUST feel threatened by MMA to always continue to make excuses and call mma fighters names so to speak.
I'm not big on bashing the MMA guys, but all the degrees in the world doesn't make you smarter, a better person, or a better fighter. There are several boxers who have degrees (the Klitschkos, Bonecrusher Smith, Juan Diaz, and Bobby Cycz is a member of MENSA). If you think degrees make any difference just look at pro football and basketball players, most of whom have graduated from college with a degree but are as articulate as a 3rd grader and probably not even as smart.

Boxing has always been a poor man's way out so to speak. I think MMA gets the bad rap more for the fans than the fighters themselves. Look into the audience at any UFC event and most seats are filled with muscle-bound metrosexuals in Affliction t-shirts and barbed wire tattoos carrying on like WWE fans.

The fighters themselves are competitive for one another, but wouldn't last one round with a seasoned professional boxer in the ring. It's human dog-fighting. I can't tell you how many MMA fighters I see who have less than 20 fights and they've got cauliflower ears and crooked noses. That is not the sign of a skilled fighter, I don't care what your specialty is...boxing, martial arts, wrestling etc. MMA is a glorified bar fight inside of an octagon. They seem to be jacks of all trades and masters of none. A highly skilled and legitimate blackbelt like a prime Master Tatsuo Shimabuku or someone of his ability, and these MMA guys would get their eyes handed to them before they even had a chance to see their opponent.

Like everything else in our society, MMA represents a watered down and much hyped version of hand to hand combat with more flash than substance. Standards are dropping everywhere in favor of image and appearances. MMA has capitolized on promoting badass images and guys who "look the part" even though they aren't the best of the best. The rules were designed to discouraged the "best" martial artists from participating in a form of human pitbull fighting. But there is an audience for it, just like there is an audience for Britney Spears, boy bands, and Lil Wayne if you call any of that music.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 12-04-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing