U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: San Antonio , TX
168 posts, read 340,610 times
Reputation: 114

Advertisements

Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr to settle the argument as to the best pound-forpound fighter on March 13.
Each boxer can expect to earn 30million dollars from the fight that will take place at the stadium of the Dallas Cowboys, the Superdome in New Orleans, or the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.
Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr on March 13 - mirror.co.uk
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,639 posts, read 4,886,211 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr to settle the argument as to the best pound-forpound fighter on March 13.
Each boxer can expect to earn 30million dollars from the fight that will take place at the stadium of the Dallas Cowboys, the Superdome in New Orleans, or the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.
Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr on March 13 - mirror.co.uk
Wow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: South FL
5,512 posts, read 7,059,251 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr to settle the argument as to the best pound-forpound fighter on March 13.
Each boxer can expect to earn 30million dollars from the fight that will take place at the stadium of the Dallas Cowboys, the Superdome in New Orleans, or the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.
Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather Jnr on March 13 - mirror.co.uk
Floyd promotes himself, he might earn 30 millions, but Pacquiao? not even 20 million, he's promoted by Top Rank (which they take a big % of his pay check).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Maryland
408 posts, read 688,172 times
Reputation: 485
I'll g'head and say it.

Pacquiao in the upset over Floyd by split decision... which will spark a series of Pacquiao/Mayweather rematches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 PM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,639 posts, read 4,886,211 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Floyd promotes himself, he might earn 30 millions, but Pacquiao? not even 20 million, he's promoted by Top Rank (which they take a big % of his pay check).
IMO you have a point......Pac may earn 30 mil but see signifigantly less

What else is new...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,767 posts, read 19,676,497 times
Reputation: 19133
For some reason I see this bout surrounded by some sort of controversy, either right before, during or after the fight. I'll be cheering for Manny but I think Floyd will find a way to win by UD by moving away, taking pot shots on the run, and explosive flurries in the final 30 seconds of each round, much the way he's won most of his big fights. Manny will have to chase him around the ring and will not be able to hit him flush. Floy's left shoulder will be to Manny's chest for much of the fight as he leans and circles his way away from Manny around the edges of the ring. I don't think there will be too much action going on in the center of the ring. Manny will have to do a better job at cutting off the ring if he plans on defeating Floyd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
 
1,541 posts, read 4,522,924 times
Reputation: 1076
I bet will will weigh in overweight again, just like his last fight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,788,680 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I bet will will weigh in overweight again, just like his last fight.
There is no way he could pull that stunt in a fight this big
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,788,680 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
For some reason I see this bout surrounded by some sort of controversy, either right before, during or after the fight. I'll be cheering for Manny but I think Floyd will find a way to win by UD by moving away, taking pot shots on the run, and explosive flurries in the final 30 seconds of each round, much the way he's won most of his big fights. Manny will have to chase him around the ring and will not be able to hit him flush. Floy's left shoulder will be to Manny's chest for much of the fight as he leans and circles his way away from Manny around the edges of the ring. I don't think there will be too much action going on in the center of the ring. Manny will have to do a better job at cutting off the ring if he plans on defeating Floyd.
You say that like it's a bad thing

That is how Floyd fights, and also how he wins. It is up to Pacquiao to penetrate his defense, if he can't well, he is in trouble

I picture this being an upset, but I actually see Floyd winning, but being robbed of the decision (taylor-hopkins style), scoring more clean shots, effective shots, but being chased around by Pacquiao, this will also spawn a number of rematchs, either way it goes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,767 posts, read 19,676,497 times
Reputation: 19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing

That is how Floyd fights, and also how he wins.
For my liking and money as a boxing fan, it is a bad thing. While he may be effective using his cautious approach and running/counter punching strategy, it doesn't make for exciting fights. In the last several years I think most people buying his PPV fights are doing so either as a fan of his opponent and/or to see him get knocked out. He is not very well liked or respected. He fights beneath his ability and capability. That is why he frustrates me so much. I know he can outbox nearly anyone in the middle of the ring, but he chooses to skirt around the edges and make opponents chase after him, then he pot shots and flurries with scoring yet ineffective blows.

I'd rather be a fan of someone like Manny, Mosley, or Williams who come to fight and give the boxing crowd their money's worth while displaying skill, heart and ring generalship.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top